Q: Why does Data Protector take so long to import a tape? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: Why does Data Protector take so long to import a tape? - HP UX ; Hi! I was a bit to quick to export a tape media with Data Protector 6.0, so I decided to import it again. However it seems to take at least as long as reading the whole tape at least once, ...

  1. Q: Why does Data Protector take so long to import a tape?

    Hi!

    I was a bit to quick to export a tape media with Data Protector 6.0, so I
    decided to import it again. However it seems to take at least as long as
    reading the whole tape at least once, even though I had specified to import
    none of the catalogs (I only need the Media properties for some reason)...

    Can anybody explain why it takes that long? I would expect that DP just scans
    a few directory parts to import a media. There are multiple sessions on the
    tape (DLT8000).

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Why does Data Protector take so long to import a tape?

    Lousy program design.

    "Ulrich Windl" wrote in message news:87slb0v59m.fsf@pc9454.klinik.uni-regensburg.de...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I was a bit to quick to export a tape media with Data Protector 6.0, so I
    > decided to import it again. However it seems to take at least as long as
    > reading the whole tape at least once, even though I had specified to import
    > none of the catalogs (I only need the Media properties for some reason)...
    >
    > Can anybody explain why it takes that long? I would expect that DP just scans
    > a few directory parts to import a media. There are multiple sessions on the
    > tape (DLT8000).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread