the right source - HP UX

This is a discussion on the right source - HP UX ; I've noticed that HP official site has more opensource programs now (and often more properly ported) than hpux.connect.org.uk. "HP-UX Internet Express for HP-UX 11i v2" is quite impressive. And gcc with 64bit pa-risc support is also available now. 11.00 and ...

  1. the right source

    I've noticed that HP official site has more opensource programs now
    (and often more properly ported) than hpux.connect.org.uk.

    "HP-UX Internet Express for HP-UX 11i v2" is quite impressive. And gcc
    with 64bit pa-risc support is also available now.

    11.00 and earlier are not supported that good, though :-(

  2. Re: the right source

    ArkanoiD wrote:
    > I've noticed that HP official site has more opensource programs now
    > (and often more properly ported) than hpux.connect.org.uk.

    That probably goes back and forth. Also, I suspect that the changes
    of a given package being ported and on the hpux.connect.org.uk and
    mirrors depends on how many folks contact the librarian concerning
    that package.

    > "HP-UX Internet Express for HP-UX 11i v2" is quite impressive. And
    > gcc with 64bit pa-risc support is also available now.

    > 11.00 and earlier are not supported that good, though :-(

    I guess that an OS being past its EOL date does have its downside

    rick jones

  3. Re: the right source

    On 28 อมา, 05:29, Rick Jones wrote:
    > ArkanoiD wrote:
    > > I've noticed that HP official site has more opensource programs now
    > > (and often more properly ported) than hpux.connect.org.uk.

    > That probably goes back and forth. Also, I suspect that the changes
    > of a given package being ported and on the hpux.connect.org.uk and
    > mirrors depends on how many folks contact the librarian concerning
    > that package.

    Well, the todays situation is quite satisfying - when solaris folks
    tell me about sunfreeware.com
    i can show them something at least that good ;-)

    The only major thing that is missing is Windows-style office package
    (Staroffice/Openoffice).
    Ok, i have a linux machine for rare occasions i need it.

    > > "HP-UX Internet Express for HP-UX 11i v2" is quite impressive. And
    > > gcc with 64bit pa-risc support is also available now.
    > > 11.00 and earlier are not supported that good, though :-(

    > I guess that an OS being past its EOL date does have its downside

    Yes, but i've noticed people keep asking questions about those (even
    10.x)

  4. Re: the right source

    > > I guess that an OS being past its EOL date does have its downside
    > >

    > Yes, but i've noticed people keep asking questions about those (even
    > 10.x)

    Yes. And go back a few years when 10.X was the current OS, there were
    people asking about 9.X I chalk it up as a consequence of system's
    longevity.

    rick jones