ioscan on HP Unix 11.11 - HP UX

This is a discussion on ioscan on HP Unix 11.11 - HP UX ; I have a probleme with a HP Unix 9000 since we add a new DLT tape reader. (HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800) The machine does not boot any more with these errors : "/sbin/ioinitrc: Unable to mount /stand - please check ...

  1. ioscan on HP Unix 11.11

    I have a probleme with a HP Unix 9000 since we add a new DLT tape reader.

    (HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800)

    The machine does not boot any more with these errors :
    "/sbin/ioinitrc:
    Unable to mount /stand - please check entries in /etc/fstab"
    (We do not change fstab)

    and
    Boot IO Dependant Code (IODC) Revision 0 IODC_ENTRY_INIT failed Error
    Status -7

    If I boot on single user mode, ioscan only return
    ioscan :libIO error from io_init: /dev/config - permission denied

    (ioscan -k seems ok)

    dmesg says only :
    Can't get Kernel namelist

    I suppose that the old disk c1tnd0 are now known by the name c2tnd0.
    How can I make them called c1tnd0 again ?
    with ioscan ?
    but ioscan is ko.

    Any advices are welcome.

    --
    Dom

  2. Re: ioscan on HP Unix 11.11

    Christian MOENNE-LOCCOZ wrote:
    > I have a probleme with a HP Unix 9000 since we add a new DLT tape reader.
    >
    > (HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800)
    >
    > The machine does not boot any more with these errors :
    > "/sbin/ioinitrc:
    > Unable to mount /stand - please check entries in /etc/fstab"
    > (We do not change fstab)
    >
    > and
    > Boot IO Dependant Code (IODC) Revision 0 IODC_ENTRY_INIT failed Error
    > Status -7
    >
    > If I boot on single user mode, ioscan only return
    > ioscan :libIO error from io_init: /dev/config - permission denied
    >
    > (ioscan -k seems ok)
    >
    > dmesg says only :
    > Can't get Kernel namelist
    >
    > I suppose that the old disk c1tnd0 are now known by the name c2tnd0.
    > How can I make them called c1tnd0 again ?
    > with ioscan ?
    > but ioscan is ko.
    >
    > Any advices are welcome.
    >
    > --
    > Dom

    Hello Dom,

    Did you by accident put the DLT tape reader on the same scsi card as a
    disk of vg00?

    Have seen it being done on Linux boxes, gave comparible failures.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  3. Re: ioscan on HP Unix 11.11

    Make sure its scsi id is less that DLT one.

    On 27 мар, 19:03, Christian MOENNE-LOCCOZ wrote:
    > I have a probleme with a HP Unix 9000 since we add a new DLT tape reader.
    >
    > (HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800)
    >
    > The machine does not boot any more with these errors :
    > "/sbin/ioinitrc:
    > Unable to mount /stand - please check entries in /etc/fstab"
    > (We do not change fstab)
    >
    > and
    > Boot IO Dependant Code (IODC) Revision 0 IODC_ENTRY_INIT failed Error
    > Status -7
    >
    > If I boot on single user mode, ioscan only return
    > ioscan :libIO error from io_init: /dev/config - permission denied
    >
    > (ioscan -k seems ok)
    >
    > dmesg says only :
    > Can't get Kernel namelist
    >
    > I suppose that the old disk c1tnd0 are now known by the name c2tnd0.
    > How can I make them called c1tnd0 again ?
    > with ioscan ?
    > but ioscan is ko.
    >
    > Any advices are welcome.
    >
    > --
    > Dom

  4. Re: ioscan on HP Unix 11.11

    > The machine does not boot any more with these errors :
    > "/sbin/ioinitrc:
    > Unable to mount /stand - please check entries in /etc/fstab"
    > (We do not change fstab)
    >
    > and
    > Boot IO Dependant Code (IODC) Revision 0 IODC_ENTRY_INIT failed Error
    > Status -7

    Tape reader has a conflict with the existing disk.
    How may disks were involved in the root volume ?

    > If I boot on single user mode, ioscan only return
    > ioscan :libIO error from io_init: /dev/config - permission denied
    >
    > (ioscan -k seems ok)
    >
    > dmesg says only :
    > Can't get Kernel namelist

    This means disk/partition corresponding to "/stand"
    is not mounted. You can check with 'df'.

    > I suppose that the old disk c1tnd0 are now known by the name c2tnd0.
    > How can I make them called c1tnd0 again ?
    > with ioscan ?

    c1 & c2 are two different controllers. So, if you
    have not changed controller/scsi card of the root
    volume disk, then this should not change or you are
    booting off a different OS instance (old installation
    on other disk etc). If you still suspect that the name
    has changed, then you can use the combination of
    "ioinit -f " ; reboot ; insf -e to regenerated
    the old name.

    There are some threads on itrc.hp.com on this.
    like
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...hreadId=194450

    As someone said, you attach tape to a different SCSI
    card (in some older systems you could use an external
    scsi port or internal. not both at the same time).
    Or you change the SCSI id of tape drive OR remove
    the tape, boot the system and connect the tape
    drive online (run insf to get device file created).

    --vishwas.

+ Reply to Thread