CPU Speed w/o Root Access - HP UX

This is a discussion on CPU Speed w/o Root Access - HP UX ; Hello all, I'm fairly certain the answer to this question is no, but figure it'd be worth a try to ask it anyway... I know that, in order to get the CPU speed of an HP-UX box, I can use ...

  1. CPU Speed w/o Root Access

    Hello all,

    I'm fairly certain the answer to this question is no, but figure it'd
    be worth a try to ask it anyway... I know that, in order to get the
    CPU speed of an HP-UX box, I can use ADB:

    echo itick_per_usec/D | adb -k /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem | tail -1 | awk
    '{print $2}'

    However, this only works for the root user. Is there any way to
    discover the speed of the processors on an HP-UX with a regular user
    account? In a nutshell, I'm working with a program that collects
    system information from various OS's, HP-UX included and does its work
    as a regular user account (HP Application Mapping).

    I can resolve this via sudo but that'd make the program dependent upon
    the sudoers file being correct for each client; something I'd rather
    avoid. Any insight would be appreciated.

    Best Regards,
    Tom

  2. Re: CPU Speed w/o Root Access

    Seems like that there is no better well-known method..

    On 23 อมา, 17:31, "tereglow" wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm fairly certain the answer to this question is no, but figure it'd
    > be worth a try to ask it anyway... I know that, in order to get the
    > CPU speed of an HP-UX box, I can use ADB:
    >
    > echo itick_per_usec/D | adb -k /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem | tail -1 | awk
    > '{print $2}'
    >
    > However, this only works for the root user. Is there any way to
    > discover the speed of the processors on an HP-UX with a regular user
    > account? In a nutshell, I'm working with a program that collects
    > system information from various OS's, HP-UX included and does its work
    > as a regular user account (HP Application Mapping).
    >
    > I can resolve this via sudo but that'd make the program dependent upon
    > the sudoers file being correct for each client; something I'd rather
    > avoid. Any insight would be appreciated.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Tom

  3. Re: CPU Speed w/o Root Access

    On Mar 23, 9:31 am, "tereglow" wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm fairly certain the answer to this question is no, but figure it'd
    > be worth a try to ask it anyway... I know that, in order to get the
    > CPU speed of an HP-UX box, I can use ADB:
    >
    > echo itick_per_usec/D | adb -k /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem | tail -1 | awk
    > '{print $2}'
    >
    > However, this only works for the root user. Is there any way to
    > discover the speed of the processors on an HP-UX with a regular user
    > account? In a nutshell, I'm working with a program that collects
    > system information from various OS's, HP-UX included and does its work
    > as a regular user account (HP Application Mapping).
    >
    > I can resolve this via sudo but that'd make the program dependent upon
    > the sudoers file being correct for each client; something I'd rather
    > avoid. Any insight would be appreciated.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Tom

    'cstm' is your friend. You can run it as a regular user:
    cstm
    map
    sel dev
    info
    il

    However, depending on a system model you run it on, results might
    vary. For example, I do not get CPU speed if cstm is run on B2600
    workstation:

    Pstruction Cache [Kbyte]: 512 Processor Speed: N/A
    Processor State: N/A
    Monarch: Yes Active: Yes
    Data Cache [Kbyte]: 1024
    Instruction TLB [entry]: 160 Processor Chip Revisions: 3.1
    Data TLB Size [entry]: 160 2nd Level Cache Size:[KB] N/A

+ Reply to Thread