Cold install over NFS? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Cold install over NFS? - HP UX ; Is it possible? My machine does not have DVD drive, but i can export it via nfs from a neighbour linux.....

  1. Cold install over NFS?

    Is it possible? My machine does not have DVD drive, but i can export
    it via nfs from a neighbour linux..

  2. Re: Cold install over NFS?

    "ArkanoiD" writes:

    > Is it possible? My machine does not have DVD drive, but i can export
    > it via nfs from a neighbour linux..

    OK, you are a beginner: HP-Servers can boot from network via DHCP/TFTP I guess
    (I never tried it). You'll ahve to prepare your site for it. Then HP-UX can be
    installed from a "network depot". The latter can be as simple as to mount the
    medium on one machine, maybe to "/CD-ROM". and then register it with "swreg -l
    depot /CD-ROM" on that machine. Then the other machines will be able to
    install from that depot. Changing media is a bit tricky however. The clients
    will re-read the depot every time (unlike to what openSUSE does with
    registered installation sources), so a different medium will be recognized the
    next time a client accesses the depot. SW-DIST uses its own network protocol
    to trnasfer the contents...

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  3. Re: Cold install over NFS?

    I have 11.0 installed on the targed machine, can i use it instead of
    complete diskless boot?
    I want to upgrade to 11iV2.

    On Mar 21, 11:18 am, Ulrich Windl
    wrote:
    > "ArkanoiD" writes:
    > > Is it possible? My machine does not have DVD drive, but i can export
    > > it via nfs from a neighbour linux..

    > OK, you are a beginner: HP-Servers can boot from network via DHCP/TFTP I guess
    > (I never tried it). You'll ahve to prepare your site for it. Then HP-UX can be
    > installed from a "network depot". The latter can be as simple as to mount the
    > medium on one machine, maybe to "/CD-ROM". and then register it with "swreg -l
    > depot /CD-ROM" on that machine. Then the other machines will be able to
    > install from that depot. Changing media is a bit tricky however. The clients
    > will re-read the depot every time (unlike to what openSUSE does with
    > registered installation sources), so a different medium will be recognized the
    > next time a client accesses the depot. SW-DIST uses its own network protocol
    > to trnasfer the contents...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

  4. Re: Cold install over NFS?

    The problem is i do not have more HP boxes here and creating remote HP-
    UX boot environment with other OS may be tricky.
    But i can boot 11.0 and export the 11iV2 installation dvd to it, but i
    do not know what to do next, as 11.0->11iV2 upgrade is not supported
    so i need cold install.

    wrote:
    > "ArkanoiD" writes:
    > > Is it possible? My machine does not have DVD drive, but i can export
    > > it via nfs from a neighbour linux..

    > OK, you are a beginner: HP-Servers can boot from network via DHCP/TFTP I guess
    > (I never tried it). You'll ahve to prepare your site for it. Then HP-UX can be
    > installed from a "network depot". The latter can be as simple as to mount the
    > medium on one machine, maybe to "/CD-ROM". and then register it with "swreg -l
    > depot /CD-ROM" on that machine. Then the other machines will be able to
    > install from that depot. Changing media is a bit tricky however. The clients
    > will re-read the depot every time (unlike to what openSUSE does with
    > registered installation sources), so a different medium will be recognized the
    > next time a client accesses the depot. SW-DIST uses its own network protocol
    > to trnasfer the contents...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread