killed /var/adm/sw by accident - HP UX

This is a discussion on killed /var/adm/sw by accident - HP UX ; Is there a way to rebuild the patches/sowtware databases without reinstalling the whole system?...

  1. killed /var/adm/sw by accident

    Is there a way to rebuild the patches/sowtware databases without
    reinstalling the whole system?

  2. Re: killed /var/adm/sw by accident

    "ArkanoiD" writes:

    > Is there a way to rebuild the patches/sowtware databases without
    > reinstalling the whole system?

    I guess (except from restoring a backup) no. The system will continue to run,
    but you cannot add or remove software the way you are used to. As installed
    software and /var/adm/sw has to be consistent, I strongly suggest to reinstall
    your OS, or maybe just don't work as root in the future.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread