b2000 and v2 - HP UX

This is a discussion on b2000 and v2 - HP UX ; Will 11iV2 install on b2000? What does "unsupported" mean - won't run or just not officially supported?...

  1. b2000 and v2

    Will 11iV2 install on b2000? What does "unsupported" mean - won't run
    or just not officially supported?

  2. Re: b2000 and v2

    ArkanoiD wrote:
    > Will 11iV2 install on b2000? What does "unsupported" mean - won't run
    > or just not officially supported?

    ArkanoiD,

    It means that HP has will not give support. It will probably work, but a
    minimum hardware specification will not be available.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: b2000 and v2

    * ArkanoiD:

    > Will 11iV2 install on b2000? What does "unsupported" mean - won't run
    > or just not officially supported?

    11i v2 runs fine on B1000 and c3xx0. The only drawback is that only the
    VisualizeFXe gfx is supported, other gfx cards provide textmode display
    only.

    I don't know if the b2000 runs with 11i v2. The b2000 was a low-cost
    version and has several hardware difference to the B1000/c3xx0 which
    might prevent it from being able to run 11i v2. The only way to find out
    is to try it ;-)

    Benjamin

  4. Re: b2000 and v2

    FXe is the card provided by HP, so if i don't replace it it will run
    X11 ok?

    It was said ecerything is ok except some graphics card are
    unsupported.
    I have FXe installed.

    On Mar 19, 8:19 am, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * ArkanoiD:
    >
    > > Will 11iV2 install on b2000? What does "unsupported" mean - won't run
    > > or just not officially supported?

    > 11i v2 runs fine on B1000 and c3xx0. The only drawback is that only the
    > VisualizeFXe gfx is supported, other gfx cards provide textmode display
    > only.
    >
    > I don't know if the b2000 runs with 11i v2. The b2000 was a low-cost
    > version and has several hardware difference to the B1000/c3xx0 which
    > might prevent it from being able to run 11i v2. The only way to find out
    > is to try it ;-)
    >
    > Benjamin

  5. Re: b2000 and v2

    ArkanoiD wrote:
    > What does "unsupported" mean - won't run or just not officially
    > supported?

    The "supported" vs "works" HPSpeak decoder:

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  6. Re: b2000 and v2

    * ArkanoiD:

    > FXe is the card provided by HP, so if i don't replace it it will run
    > X11 ok?
    >
    > It was said ecerything is ok except some graphics card are
    > unsupported.
    > I have FXe installed.

    The B2000 has an on-Board VisualizeFXe gfx card so this should be fine.
    However, as I already said the B2000 is technically different from the
    B1000/C3xx0 (B2000 was a low-cost version with stripped-down chipset),
    so 11i v2 might have some issues with it.

    All I can say is that 11i v2 runs great on B1000/c3xx0 series
    workstations...

    So your only chance is to try it on your B2000...

    Benjamin

  7. Re: b2000 and v2

    * Obtaining some information from the source depot.
    ERROR: Updating to 11.23 is not supported on this hardwar e.

    Is there a workaround to trick update-ux?

    On Mar 19, 9:45 pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * ArkanoiD:
    >
    > > FXe is the card provided by HP, so if i don't replace it it will run
    > > X11 ok?

    > > It was said ecerything is ok except some graphics card are
    > > unsupported.
    > > I have FXe installed.

    > The B2000 has an on-Board VisualizeFXe gfx card so this should be fine.
    > However, as I already said the B2000 is technically different from the
    > B1000/C3xx0 (B2000 was a low-cost version with stripped-down chipset),
    > so 11i v2 might have some issues with it.
    >
    > All I can say is that 11i v2 runs great on B1000/c3xx0 series
    > workstations...
    >
    > So your only chance is to try it on your B2000...
    >
    > Benjamin

  8. Re: b2000 and v2

    * ArkanoiD:

    > * Obtaining some information from the source depot.
    > ERROR: Updating to 11.23 is not supported on this hardwar e.
    >
    > Is there a workaround to trick update-ux?

    Maybe, but this probably wouldn't help. Do you have a media set that
    supports PA-RISC (older media sets only support IA64)? And I would not
    recommend to go the upgrade route but just do a clean and fresh install...

    But probably the best choice would be to get a B1000 or C3xx0 from ebay
    or anywhere else. These machines can be had for almost nothing today,
    they run 11i v2 just fine and you can take RAM and HD from your B2000
    and re-use them.

    Benjamin

  9. Re: b2000 and v2

    Ah, i see: it's just a script. But 11.00->11.23 update is unsupported
    anyways.
    Is there a way i can run cold install from mounted fs?

    On Mar 21, 3:37 pm, "ArkanoiD" wrote:
    > * Obtaining some information from the source depot.
    > ERROR: Updating to 11.23 is not supported on this hardwar e.
    >
    > Is there a workaround to trick update-ux?
    >
    > On Mar 19, 9:45 pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >
    > > * ArkanoiD:

    > > > FXe is the card provided by HP, so if i don't replace it it will run
    > > > X11 ok?

    > > > It was said ecerything is ok except some graphics card are
    > > > unsupported.
    > > > I have FXe installed.

    > > The B2000 has an on-Board VisualizeFXe gfx card so this should be fine.
    > > However, as I already said the B2000 is technically different from the
    > > B1000/C3xx0 (B2000 was a low-cost version with stripped-down chipset),
    > > so 11i v2 might have some issues with it.

    > > All I can say is that 11i v2 runs great on B1000/c3xx0 series
    > > workstations...

    > > So your only chance is to try it on your B2000...

    > > Benjamin

  10. Re: b2000 and v2

    Yes. But the problem is i cannot cold install as i do not have DVD
    drive! So i mounted it over nfs..

    Well, the machines are cheap, but the shipping can take long and be
    expensive as i am in Russia..

    On Mar 21, 3:50 pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * ArkanoiD:
    >
    > > * Obtaining some information from the source depot.
    > > ERROR: Updating to 11.23 is not supported on this hardwar e.

    > > Is there a workaround to trick update-ux?

    > Maybe, but this probably wouldn't help. Do you have a media set that
    > supports PA-RISC (older media sets only support IA64)? And I would not
    > recommend to go the upgrade route but just do a clean and fresh install...
    >
    > But probably the best choice would be to get a B1000 or C3xx0 from ebay
    > or anywhere else. These machines can be had for almost nothing today,
    > they run 11i v2 just fine and you can take RAM and HD from your B2000
    > and re-use them.
    >
    > Benjamin

  11. Re: b2000 and v2

    * ArkanoiD:

    > Yes. But the problem is i cannot cold install as i do not have DVD
    > drive! So i mounted it over nfs..
    >
    > Well, the machines are cheap, but the shipping can take long and be
    > expensive as i am in Russia..

    The B2000 uses plain standard optical ATAPI drives. So why don't you
    just put a DVD drive in the machine?

    Benjamin

  12. Re: b2000 and v2

    I googled and it was sayd they are *not* standard, just look like
    those, but actually a special firmware is required - even not all HP
    drives will fit :-(

    So i got 11iV1, i will try to install it and then upgrade to v2 via
    update-ux over nfs.

    On 21 мар, 20:01, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * ArkanoiD:
    >
    > > Yes. But the problem is i cannot cold install as i do not have DVD
    > > drive! So i mounted it over nfs..

    > > Well, the machines are cheap, but the shipping can take long and be
    > > expensive as i am in Russia..

    > The B2000 uses plain standard optical ATAPI drives. So why don't you
    > just put a DVD drive in the machine?
    >
    > Benjamin

  13. Re: b2000 and v2

    * ArkanoiD:

    > I googled and it was sayd they are *not* standard, just look like
    > those, but actually a special firmware is required - even not all HP
    > drives will fit :-(

    Then you googled BS. I had quite a lot of B2000 and other B- and C-Class
    machines which I retrofitted with several generic CD and DVD drives
    (readers and burners). The only drive that didn't work was a Philips CD
    reader that turned out to be dead.

    > So i got 11iV1, i will try to install it and then upgrade to v2 via
    > update-ux over nfs.

    Good luck!

    Benjamin

  14. Re: b2000 and v2

    * ArkanoiD:

    > I googled and it was sayd they are *not* standard, just look like
    > those, but actually a special firmware is required - even not all HP
    > drives will fit :-(

    BTW: the CD drive the B2000 was sold with was a plain el-cheapo standard
    Mitsumi ATAPI drive with standard firmware (the B1000/C3xx0 were sold
    with a standard TEAC CD-532E with standard firmware which was much more
    reliable than the crappy Mitsumi in the B2000. Don't know why HP choosed
    such a unreliable supplier).

    Benjamin

  15. Re: b2000 and v2

    Thanks! They did not say CDs are non-standard, just DVDs.
    This may be BS as well, thanks for sharing your expirience.

    On 22 мар, 18:02, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * ArkanoiD:
    >
    > > I googled and it was sayd they are *not* standard, just look like
    > > those, but actually a special firmware is required - even not all HP
    > > drives will fit :-(

    > BTW: the CD drive the B2000 was sold with was a plain el-cheapo standard
    > Mitsumi ATAPI drive with standard firmware (the B1000/C3xx0 were sold
    > with a standard TEAC CD-532E with standard firmware which was much more
    > reliable than the crappy Mitsumi in the B2000. Don't know why HP choosed
    > such a unreliable supplier).
    >
    > Benjamin

  16. Re: b2000 and v2

    ...here is what they say btw

    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...08622+28353475

    On 22 мар, 17:50, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * ArkanoiD:
    >
    > > I googled and it was sayd they are *not* standard, just look like
    > > those, but actually a special firmware is required - even not all HP
    > > drives will fit :-(

    > Then you googled BS. I had quite a lot of B2000 and other B- and C-Class
    > machines which I retrofitted with several generic CD and DVD drives
    > (readers and burners). The only drive that didn't work was a Philips CD
    > reader that turned out to be dead.
    >
    > > So i got 11iV1, i will try to install it and then upgrade to v2 via
    > > update-ux over nfs.

    > Good luck!
    >
    > Benjamin

  17. Re: b2000 and v2

    * ArkanoiD:

    > ..here is what they say btw
    >
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...08622+28353475

    Hmm..."This page has been removed."

    But mind you that the ITRC is just a forum with people talking about
    their opinions which aren't necessarily correct. And you also have to
    distinguish between "not supported" and "does not work", see Ricks posting.

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread