HPUX fails to boot with "Cannot find ENTRY_TEST", failed to initialize. ENTRY_INIT status = -7 - HP UX

This is a discussion on HPUX fails to boot with "Cannot find ENTRY_TEST", failed to initialize. ENTRY_INIT status = -7 - HP UX ; Hi All On an R380 running 11i, the server suffered a power failure whilst running SAM. When it rebooted, that is the error message I get and the server won't boot. The server has two drives and a SEArch from ...

  1. HPUX fails to boot with "Cannot find ENTRY_TEST", failed to initialize. ENTRY_INIT status = -7

    Hi All

    On an R380 running 11i, the server suffered a power failure whilst running
    SAM. When it rebooted, that is the error message I get and the server won't
    boot.

    The server has two drives and a SEArch from the prompt shows:

    P0 8/16/5.5
    P1 8/16/5.2
    P2 8/16/6.0

    Both drives appear to be spinning. So, any thoughts about why it won't boot
    would be appreciated - also, should a crash whilst using SAM do this, or was
    it (in your experiences), just random bad luck?

    Cheers

  2. Re: HPUX fails to boot with "Cannot find ENTRY_TEST", failed to initialize. ENTRY_INIT status = -7

    How to fix ENTRY_INIT boot failures

    The system will not bootup. The following message (or similar) appears and
    leaves you at the boot menu prompt. You cannot get to the ISL> prompt.

    Booting...

    WARN 80F9

    Cannot find ENTRY_TEST.

    Failed to initialize.

    ENTRY_INIT

    Status = -7 <-- note this status #

    00800000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

    00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

    0000350B 00000012 C1000040 02800400 080900D8 00000000 0001F004 00000000

    9E030000 0000E9CC 0000E9CC 00000000 FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000

    WARN 80F5

    Failed to initialize.

    Main Menu: Enter Command >

    ENTRY_INIT initializes and tests a boot device so that ENTRY_I/O can
    transfer data to/from the boot device. ENTRY_INIT is also used to establish
    module or device communication. The majority of ENTRY_INIT errors
    encountered are: Status = -4 and Status = -7.

    Possible ENTRY_INIT = -4 Causes:

    - The disk is experiencing hardware faults and needs replacing.

    - The path to the disk is experiencing problems (e.g.. termination, cabling,
    SCSI adapter,
    SCSI card seating.

    Possible ENTRY_INIT = -7 Causes:

    - Booting from the wrong path or non-existent device.

    - Trying to boot from a device that is not responding.

    Troubleshooting Steps:

    1. Power off the server, then power off the disks (leaving all disks
    powered off for at least 30 seconds). Power on disks, then server.

    2. When server is booting, check access LED's on boot disk. Are they
    being accessed? If they are, it's possibly a bad disk. If not, it's
    possibly a bad path to disk (e.g.. cabling/termination/adapter). Time to log
    hardware call.

    3. If boot disk is in an external disk enclosure, check that the
    cabling is secure, and access/status lights are normal.

    4. Attempt to boot from an alternate boot path if you have one (e.g..
    mirror or alternate boot disk).

    5. Double check you have the correct boot path.

    6. Use the SEArch option at the Boot Menu; try it a few times. Does the
    primary boot path appear? If not, we cannot see the disk so it's time to
    log a hardware call. If we can see the boot disk, but still get an
    ENTRY_INIT error when booting, we need to log a hardware call.

    7. We can boot to Recovery Shell and use the chroot option to fsck the
    boot disk, but this will always fail if we cannot get to the ISL> prompt of
    a disk; in most cases, using the Recovery Shell is not helpful.

    8. Perform preliminary steps to reinstall the system; As in most cases
    this error means the boot disk is bad and will need to be replaced. If the
    system is not mirrored then the recommended recovery method is to reinstall
    the system. Do you know what sizes the vg00 logical volumes are?

    Errors Returned by IODC ENTRY_INIT

    Status
    Description

    2
    Recoverable Error.
    The call completed normally and the returned results are valid

    0
    OK.
    The call completed normally without error

    -2
    Nonexistent option.
    The call did not correspond to implemented options in entry_init

    -3
    Can not complete call without error.
    An error of unknown type prevented the call from completing correctly

    -4
    Unrecoverable Hardware Error.
    An unrecoverable hardware error has occurred between the processor PDC
    and IODC on the target controller or device

    -5
    Unrecoverable data error.
    ENTRY_INIT encountered an error while transferring data to/from the
    target controller or device

    -6
    Illegal device address.
    The device address supplied to ENTRY_INIT is invalid

    -7
    Nonexistent device.
    The device address supplied to ENTRY_INIT is valid, but, the target
    controller or device is not installed or is not responding

    -8
    Module/device not ready.
    The module or device is not ready to be initialized. The target is not
    ready because it has not completed its power on reset/selftest

    -9
    Cannot locate a console or boot device.
    ENTRY_INIT could not locate a console or boot device

    -10
    Invalid argument.
    ENTRY_INIT was passed an invalid command

    -11
    Data buffer too small

    -12
    Unsupported record size

    -13
    Protocol Error.
    A protocol error was encountered on bus during data transfer to/from
    the target controller or device (which also means 3rd part hardware or a
    boot disk)

    Mike
    mikeshapp@yahoo.com

    "Gremlin" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > On an R380 running 11i, the server suffered a power failure whilst running
    > SAM. When it rebooted, that is the error message I get and the server
    > won't boot.
    >
    > The server has two drives and a SEArch from the prompt shows:
    >
    > P0 8/16/5.5
    > P1 8/16/5.2
    > P2 8/16/6.0
    >
    > Both drives appear to be spinning. So, any thoughts about why it won't
    > boot would be appreciated - also, should a crash whilst using SAM do this,
    > or was it (in your experiences), just random bad luck?
    >
    > Cheers

  3. Re: HPUX fails to boot with "Cannot find ENTRY_TEST", failed to initialize. ENTRY_INIT status = -7

    Thanks for that information

    As both disks are internal (HP9000/R380), the lights are flashing, cables
    checked and card reseated, I guess that it must have died at the same
    time/as a result of the power outage.

    Certainly, I can see the disks there (I am not a real HP/UX person so I am
    guessing that the SEArch output shows two hard drives and a LAN, not the CD
    though?) so I guess the boot OS is trashed. Now to find the HP/UX 11i
    CDs - not in this lifetime, I think!

    Cheers

    news:_OmdnT3g2NSeqWLYnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

+ Reply to Thread