#pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium - HP UX

This is a discussion on #pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium - HP UX ; Hello! We have a problem compiling our programm on a new HP machine. We get a lot of the following and likewise warnings: "../../obj/info.cpp", line 74: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma #pragma warn -par "../../obj/info.cpp", line 197: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma ...

  1. #pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium

    Hello!

    We have a problem compiling our programm on a new HP machine. We get a
    lot of the following and likewise warnings:

    "../../obj/info.cpp", line 74: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    #pragma warn -par

    "../../obj/info.cpp", line 197: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    #pragma argsused

    "../../obj/info.cpp", line 2155: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    #pragma warn .par

    The old machine is a HP-UX hp9n B.11.11 U 9000/800 (td) with aCC: HP
    ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.67).
    The new machine is a HP-UX hp9n-tmp B.11.23 U ia64 (tc) with aCC: HP C/
    aC++ B3910B A.06.13 [Nov 27 2006]

    I somebody able to help me?

    THX Martin

  2. Re: #pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium

    martin_p@utanet.at wrote:
    > We have a problem compiling our programm on a new HP machine. We get
    > a lot of the following and likewise warnings:

    > "../../obj/info.cpp", line 74: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    > #pragma warn -par

    > "../../obj/info.cpp", line 197: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    > #pragma argsused

    > "../../obj/info.cpp", line 2155: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    > #pragma warn .par

    > The old machine is a HP-UX hp9n B.11.11 U 9000/800 (td) with aCC: HP
    > ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.67).
    > The new machine is a HP-UX hp9n-tmp B.11.23 U ia64 (tc) with aCC: HP C/
    > aC++ B3910B A.06.13 [Nov 27 2006]

    > I somebody able to help me?

    Looking at the online programmers guide for A.03.65 (start at
    docs.hp.com, follow the developent tools and distributed computing
    link) I don't see any of those listed in the list of pragmas known by
    the compiler:

    http://docs.hp.com/en/7133/pragmas.htm

    Which makes me wonder if your 11.11 compilation was either disabling
    the warnings or if the compiler was simply not generating them? In
    other words, you might have just been lucky in the past.

    Similarly, I don't see any of those in the online manual for A.06.12
    either:

    http://docs.hp.com/en/8759/pragmas.htm

    Are the bits being compiled perhaps also compiled with another
    compiler on another platform for which the #pragma warn is valid? Web
    searching on #pragma warn brings-up links which suggest it might.

    You may need to wrap those #pragma's in some platform-specific
    #ifdef's - and perhaps translate some of them into #pragma's
    understood by the HP compiler(s).

    #if
    #pragma foo
    #else
    #pragma bar
    #endif

    that sort of thing.

    rick jones

  3. Re: #pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium

    On 7 Mrz., 23:13, Rick Jones wrote:
    > marti...@utanet.at wrote:
    > > We have a problem compiling our programm on a new HP machine. We get
    > > a lot of the following and likewise warnings:
    > > "../../obj/info.cpp", line 74: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    > > #pragma warn -par
    > > "../../obj/info.cpp", line 197: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    > > #pragma argsused
    > > "../../obj/info.cpp", line 2155: warning #2161-D: unrecognized #pragma
    > > #pragma warn .par
    > > The old machine is a HP-UX hp9n B.11.11 U 9000/800 (td) with aCC: HP
    > > ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.67).
    > > The new machine is a HP-UX hp9n-tmp B.11.23 U ia64 (tc) with aCC: HP C/
    > > aC++ B3910B A.06.13 [Nov 27 2006]
    > > I somebody able to help me?

    > Looking at the online programmers guide for A.03.65 (start at
    > docs.hp.com, follow the developent tools and distributed computing
    > link) I don't see any of those listed in the list of pragmas known by
    > the compiler:
    >
    > http://docs.hp.com/en/7133/pragmas.htm
    >
    > Which makes me wonder if your 11.11 compilation was either disabling
    > the warnings or if the compiler was simply not generating them? In
    > other words, you might have just been lucky in the past.
    >
    > Similarly, I don't see any of those in the online manual for A.06.12
    > either:
    >
    > http://docs.hp.com/en/8759/pragmas.htm
    >
    > Are the bits being compiled perhaps also compiled with another
    > compiler on another platform for which the #pragma warn is valid? Web
    > searching on #pragma warn brings-up links which suggest it might.
    >
    > You may need to wrap those #pragma's in some platform-specific
    > #ifdef's - and perhaps translate some of them into #pragma's
    > understood by the HP compiler(s).
    >
    > #if
    > #pragma foo
    > #else
    > #pragma bar
    > #endif
    >
    > that sort of thing.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause.
    > There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision. - Jobert
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    Thank you Rick!

    We have our source compiled on windows, linux and aix. There are no
    warnings.
    I will disable the warning 2161 (+W2161) in my makefile.

    Martin

  4. Re: #pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium

    martin_p@utanet.at wrote:

    > We have our source compiled on windows, linux and aix. There are no
    > warnings.
    > I will disable the warning 2161 (+W2161) in my makefile.

    It might be a good idea to figure-out on which platform those pragmas
    actually have meaning and what that meaning happens to be. If for no
    other reason than to make sure that it isn't something you need/want
    on the other platforms.

    rick jones
    I'm often uncomfortable disabling warnings in the makefile and prefer
    to make fixes in the source code.

  5. Re: #pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium

    On 8 Mrz., 19:54, Rick Jones wrote:
    > marti...@utanet.at wrote:
    > > We have our source compiled on windows, linux and aix. There are no
    > > warnings.
    > > I will disable the warning 2161 (+W2161) in my makefile.

    > It might be a good idea to figure-out on which platform those pragmas
    > actually have meaning and what that meaning happens to be. If for no
    > other reason than to make sure that it isn't something you need/want
    > on the other platforms.
    >
    > rick jones
    > I'm often uncomfortable disabling warnings in the makefile and prefer
    > to make fixes in the source code.
    > --
    > Wisdom Teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events.
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    The pragmas the compiler doesn't know are pragmas to disable warnings
    like 'Parameter xxx is never used in function yyy'. It seems the
    compiler on hpux doesn't know this warnings.

  6. Re: #pragma -sig #pragma argsused on HP-UX Itanium

    martin_p@utanet.at wrote:
    > The pragmas the compiler doesn't know are pragmas to disable warnings
    > like 'Parameter xxx is never used in function yyy'. It seems the
    > compiler on hpux doesn't know this warnings.

    You'll have to use other +W# options to disable those.
    But it will be for the whole source.

+ Reply to Thread