    and then fix it.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Simulating Block Corruption

    On 2007-03-04, DBdude_From_NY@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Is there a way to simulate block corruption on HP-UX? I have a file,
    > that is data file of Oracle database, and I want to corruput few
    > blocks of that file. This is an exercise to detect block corruption
    > and then fix it.

    Check out dd - especially the seek and skip features.
    You can overwrite any portion of the file.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  3. Re: Simulating Block Corruption

    DBdude_From_NY@yahoo.com writes:

    > Is there a way to simulate block corruption on HP-UX? I have a file,
    > that is data file of Oracle database, and I want to corruput few
    > blocks of that file. This is an exercise to detect block corruption
    > and then fix it.

    In former times replacing a LVM mirrored defective disk resulted in corrupted
    Oracle blocks ;-) I mean 8-(

    There days a few lines of Perl should do it. Like (not Perl):

    forall bytes:
    x := read next byte
    if unlikely: modify x
    write back byte x