"Online cloning" of system disk - HP UX

This is a discussion on "Online cloning" of system disk - HP UX ; Is there a way to duplicate a system disk, except for dd, make_tape_backup and make tape_recovery? I bought a nice 9 Gig drive for my B132L (I'm starting to loose hope of finding anything above that that is not LVD), ...

  1. "Online cloning" of system disk

    Is there a way to duplicate a system disk, except for dd,
    make_tape_backup and make tape_recovery?

    I bought a nice 9 Gig drive for my B132L (I'm starting to loose hope
    of finding anything
    above that that is not LVD), because the 4.5 Gig one is starting
    to.get tight around the neck.
    My plan is to replicate volumes to another disk, I could try dding,
    but obviously I have no idea what are chances of success of that
    operation. make_tape_* won't work, as I don't have streamer.

    Can anyone suggest any other way?

    Rambo

  2. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    "Rambo" wrote in message
    news:1172928713.403782.291390@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com...
    > Is there a way to duplicate a system disk, except for dd,
    > make_tape_backup and make tape_recovery?
    >
    > I bought a nice 9 Gig drive for my B132L (I'm starting to loose hope
    > of finding anything
    > above that that is not LVD), because the 4.5 Gig one is starting
    > to.get tight around the neck.
    > My plan is to replicate volumes to another disk, I could try dding,
    > but obviously I have no idea what are chances of success of that
    > operation. make_tape_* won't work, as I don't have streamer.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other way?
    >
    > Rambo

    Add the disk to the vg, mirror all volumes and vgreduce the orig disk.

    pvmove (1m)

    back up data on old disk, vgreduce disk from vg, add new disk (pvcreate,
    vgcreate/vgextend), lvcreate, newfs, and restore data.

  3. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    "Rambo" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1172928713.403782.291390@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com...
    > Is there a way to duplicate a system disk, except for dd,
    > make_tape_backup and make tape_recovery?
    >
    > I bought a nice 9 Gig drive for my B132L (I'm starting to loose hope
    > of finding anything
    > above that that is not LVD), because the 4.5 Gig one is starting
    > to.get tight around the neck.
    > My plan is to replicate volumes to another disk, I could try dding,
    > but obviously I have no idea what are chances of success of that
    > operation. make_tape_* won't work, as I don't have streamer.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other way?
    >
    > Rambo

    Hi,
    if you have another hpux system you can use make_net_recovery to backup your
    data (with same revision of ignite-ux)
    See how to create an ignite-ux server ad how to backup and restore, there
    are a lot of document on ignite-ux server how to.

    Regards
    Antonio

  4. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    > Add the disk to the vg, mirror all volumes and vgreduce the orig disk.
    >
    > pvmove (1m)
    >
    > back up data on old disk, vgreduce disk from vg, add new disk
    > (pvcreate, vgcreate/vgextend), lvcreate, newfs, and restore data.

    Well, but as far as my understanding goes, that does copy volume group,
    but will the cloned disk will actually be bootable?

    Rambo

  5. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    Rambo wrote:
    > Is there a way to duplicate a system disk, except for dd,
    > make_tape_backup and make tape_recovery?
    >
    > I bought a nice 9 Gig drive for my B132L (I'm starting to loose hope
    > of finding anything
    > above that that is not LVD), because the 4.5 Gig one is starting
    > to.get tight around the neck.
    > My plan is to replicate volumes to another disk, I could try dding,
    > but obviously I have no idea what are chances of success of that
    > operation. make_tape_* won't work, as I don't have streamer.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other way?

    Try DRD (dynamic root disk).

    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swd...er=DynRootDisk

    http://docs.hp.com/en/DRD/index.html

    --vishwas.

  6. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    Rambo wrote:
    > Is there a way to duplicate a system disk, except for dd,
    > make_tape_backup and make tape_recovery?
    >
    > I bought a nice 9 Gig drive for my B132L (I'm starting to loose hope
    > of finding anything
    > above that that is not LVD), because the 4.5 Gig one is starting
    > to.get tight around the neck.
    > My plan is to replicate volumes to another disk, I could try dding,
    > but obviously I have no idea what are chances of success of that
    > operation. make_tape_* won't work, as I don't have streamer.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other way?

    Try DRD (dynamic root disk).

    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swd...er=DynRootDisk

    http://docs.hp.com/en/DRD/index.html

    --vishwas.

  7. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    > Try DRD (dynamic root disk).

    That's HPPA, not Itanium machine (11i v2 support, but not v1)

  8. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
    >> Try DRD (dynamic root disk).

    > That's HPPA, not Itanium machine (11i v2 support, but not v1)

    Certainly not 11i v1. But supported on both PA-RISC and Itanium
    on 11i v2.

    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swd...er=DynRootDisk
    spec page says,

    " System administrators use DRD to manage system images on HP PA-RISC
    and ItaniumŪ -based systems."

    --vishwas.

  9. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:30:37 +0100, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski
    wrote:

    >> Add the disk to the vg, mirror all volumes and vgreduce the orig disk.
    >>
    >> pvmove (1m)
    >>
    >> back up data on old disk, vgreduce disk from vg, add new disk
    >> (pvcreate, vgcreate/vgextend), lvcreate, newfs, and restore data.

    >Well, but as far as my understanding goes, that does copy volume group,
    >but will the cloned disk will actually be bootable?
    >
    >Rambo

    You may create an alternate HP-UX boot disk using either LVM
    mirroring, or more manually (creating volume group, lvols and
    filesystems, find to cpio passthrough of filesystem contents, creating
    swap/dump, lvlnboot commands, AUTO file) . There will be documents on
    this at HP's ITRC Knowledge Base.

    Remember that the ordering of logical volumes is significant - stand,
    then swap/dump, then root.

    Ignite is easiest, and not at all a bad way to go because it's a real
    good idea to have a recovery image anyway! To use make_tape_recovery
    you only need to install Ignite-UX. For make_net_recovery you would
    need to install Ignite and then configure an Ignite-UX server. There's
    a good chapter on this in the latest O'Reilly Backup and Recovery book
    - even if I do say so myself ;-) titled HP-UX Bare-Metal Recovery. I'd
    meant to also add sections to that chapter on manually creating an
    alternate boot disk but ran out of time.

    Eric

  10. Re: "Online cloning" of system disk

    good point

    Vishwas Pai wrote:
    > Rambo wrote:
    >> Is there a way to duplicate a system disk, except for dd,
    >> make_tape_backup and make tape_recovery?
    >>
    >> I bought a nice 9 Gig drive for my B132L (I'm starting to loose hope
    >> of finding anything
    >> above that that is not LVD), because the 4.5 Gig one is starting
    >> to.get tight around the neck.
    >> My plan is to replicate volumes to another disk, I could try dding,
    >> but obviously I have no idea what are chances of success of that
    >> operation. make_tape_* won't work, as I don't have streamer.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest any other way?

    > Try DRD (dynamic root disk).
    >
    > http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swd...er=DynRootDisk
    >

    > http://docs.hp.com/en/DRD/index.html