maxfiles and maxfiles_lim - HP UX

This is a discussion on maxfiles and maxfiles_lim - HP UX ; I am running the tzupdater for Java from HP and it errors out because of the maxfiles limit. HP said to change both of those parameters to '4096'. I know I can do: kmtune -s maxfiles=4096 kmtune -s maxfiles_lim=4096 kmtune ...

  1. maxfiles and maxfiles_lim

    I am running the tzupdater for Java from HP and it errors out because
    of the maxfiles limit. HP said to change both of those parameters to
    '4096'.

    I know I can do:

    kmtune -s maxfiles=4096
    kmtune -s maxfiles_lim=4096
    kmtune -u

    That will update those parameters. What I have found is if those two
    parameters are dynamic or whether I will have to rebuild the kernel
    and reboot or just reboot after the change or no reboot necessary
    because they are dynamic values.

    Robert

  2. Re: maxfiles and maxfiles_lim

    Robert Hicks wrote:
    > I am running the tzupdater for Java from HP and it errors out
    > because of the maxfiles limit. HP said to change both of those
    > parameters to '4096'.

    > I know I can do:

    > kmtune -s maxfiles=4096
    > kmtune -s maxfiles_lim=4096
    > kmtune -u

    > That will update those parameters. What I have found is if those two
    > parameters are dynamic or whether I will have to rebuild the kernel
    > and reboot or just reboot after the change or no reboot necessary
    > because they are dynamic values.

    I am not quite sure what you are trying to say in the paragraph above
    - are there some missing "not"'s in there? Whether a given tunable is
    dynamic depends on the OS release - later OS releases have a greater
    percentage of dynamic tunables. I was under the impression that the
    list one can get from kmtune/kctune had some indication as to whether
    or not a rebuild/reboot was required.

    It has been a while since I've messed with those things, but you may
    also want to check the process's ulimits.

    rick jones

  3. Re: maxfiles and maxfiles_lim

    On Mar 2, 3:25 pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > Robert Hicks wrote:
    > > I am running the tzupdater for Java from HP and it errors out
    > > because of the maxfiles limit. HP said to change both of those
    > > parameters to '4096'.
    > > I know I can do:
    > > kmtune -s maxfiles=4096
    > > kmtune -s maxfiles_lim=4096
    > > kmtune -u
    > > That will update those parameters. What I have found is if those two
    > > parameters are dynamic or whether I will have to rebuild the kernel
    > > and reboot or just reboot after the change or no reboot necessary
    > > because they are dynamic values.

    > I am not quite sure what you are trying to say in the paragraph above
    > - are there some missing "not"'s in there? Whether a given tunable is
    > dynamic depends on the OS release - later OS releases have a greater
    > percentage of dynamic tunables. I was under the impression that the
    > list one can get from kmtune/kctune had some indication as to whether
    > or not a rebuild/reboot was required.
    >
    > It has been a while since I've messed with those things, but you may
    > also want to check the process's ulimits.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > portable adj, code that compiles under more than one compiler
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    Probably my English wasn't that good... : )

    maxfiles_lim is dynamic...so I changed that and it fixed my problem.

+ Reply to Thread