aCC -g0 but .sl has missing debug info - HP UX

This is a discussion on aCC -g0 but .sl has missing debug info - HP UX ; Hi All, I compile about 40 .cpp files in in the same directory, all with aCC -g0 +d I then chatr +dbg enable But when I attach to the process in gdb, set a breakpoint in the .sl, only some ...

  1. aCC -g0 but .sl has missing debug info

    Hi All,

    I compile about 40 .cpp files in in the same directory, all with

    aCC -g0 +d

    I then chatr +dbg enable <.sl >

    But when I attach to the process in gdb, set a breakpoint in the .sl,
    only some of the translation units show debug info. What did I miss?

    Thanks much.

    aCC A.03.37
    gdb 5.5.0

    This is the stack trace. See, #1 and below have no debug info.

    #0 Cube::CDB::cdbIndexFilterContextClass::init (this=0x460bee40) at
    kc3cdbCtxtFilter.cpp:256
    #1 0x73b4dfa4 in
    Cube::CDB::cdbIndexFilterContextClass::cdbIndexFil terContextClass
    +0x138 () from /space2/home/sj1e652h/e652_r/lib/libc3_calc.sl
    #2 0x73b4d7f8 in Cube::CDB::cdbIndexFilterContextClass::Create+0x48
    () from /space2/home/sj1e652h/e652_r/lib/libc3_calc.sl
    #3 0x73b04de0 in Cube::CDB::cdbContextClass::QueryIndexFilter+0x230
    () from /space2/home/sj1e652h/e652_r/lib/libc3_calc.sl

  2. Re: aCC -g0 but .sl has missing debug info

    George wrote:
    > I compile about 40 .cpp files in in the same directory, all with
    > aCC -g0 +d
    > I then chatr +dbg enable <.sl >

    This command only works on the executable. And is only needed if you
    attach to a process.

    > But when I attach to the process in gdb, set a breakpoint in the .sl,
    > only some of the translation units show debug info. What did I miss?

    Ah, you need to do that on the executable. But if you did this wrong,
    you wouldn't be able to set a breakpoint.

    > aCC A.03.37

    This is way too old. Try with the latest, A.03.73.

    > This is the stack trace. See, #1 and below have no debug info.
    > #1 0x73b4dfa4 in
    > Cube::CDB::cdbIndexFilterContextClass::cdbIndexFil terContextClass+0x138
    > /space2/home/sj1e652h/e652_r/lib/libc3_calc.sl

    I assume this shlib has debug info?

  3. Re: aCC -g0 but .sl has missing debug info

    On Mar 2, 10:57 pm, Dennis Handly wrote:
    > George wrote:
    > > I compile about 40 .cpp files in in the same directory, all with
    > > aCC -g0 +d
    > > I then chatr +dbg enable <.sl >

    > This command only works on the executable. And is only needed if you
    > attach to a process.
    >
    > > But when I attach to the process in gdb, set a breakpoint in the .sl,
    > > only some of the translation units show debug info. What did I miss?

    > Ah, you need to do that on the executable. But if you did this wrong,
    > you wouldn't be able to set a breakpoint.
    >
    > > aCC A.03.37

    > This is way too old. Try with the latest, A.03.73.
    >
    > > This is the stack trace. See, #1 and below have no debug info.
    > > #1 0x73b4dfa4 in
    > > Cube::CDB::cdbIndexFilterContextClass::cdbIndexFil terContextClass+0x138
    > > /space2/home/sj1e652h/e652_r/lib/libc3_calc.sl

    > I assume this shlib has debug info?

    Oh, man, this is a most awesome day that I got a response from you
    Dennis.
    (Where have you been 3 years?)

    Thanks for the tip on chatr +dbg. But yes I'm able to attach and set
    breakpoint.

    Fair call, I'll upgrade the compiler and try again.

    But would old compiler cause this problem ? The shlib does have debug
    info. I was able to get some more showing in gdb by using +objdebug,
    but there are still some symbols from the shlib which don't show
    source file info on the stack.

    Thanks again for all your advice - you were my only hope here.

    George

  4. Re: aCC -g0 but .sl has missing debug info

    George wrote:
    > Oh, man, this is a most awesome day that I got a response from you
    > Dennis. (Where have you been 3 years?)

    The same place. ;-) But I have moved on to Integrity.
    You'll get faster responses if you subscribe to CXX-DEV:
    http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/comm/...,1273,,00.html

    > But would old compiler cause this problem? The shlib does have debug
    > info. I was able to get some more showing in gdb by using +objdebug,
    > but there are still some symbols from the shlib which don't show
    > source file info on the stack.

    I would think +objdebug would have more problems. Also there have been
    many fixes in 4.5 years.

    > Thanks again for all your advice - you were my only hope here.
    > George

    Try the above mailing list.

+ Reply to Thread