Running a process requiring super user privilege from non super user - HP UX

This is a discussion on Running a process requiring super user privilege from non super user - HP UX ; Hi All I want to run a process, that can only be run by a super user, by a normal user. I heard that this can be done by using some uid etc. Please help me if anyone knows anything ...

  1. Running a process requiring super user privilege from non super user

    Hi All
    I want to run a process, that can only be run by a super user,
    by a normal user. I heard that this can be done by using some uid etc.
    Please help me if anyone knows anything about this or the uid solution.

  2. Re: Running a process requiring super user privilege from non super user

    "chets" wrote:

    >Hi All
    > I want to run a process, that can only be run by a super user,
    >by a normal user. I heard that this can be done by using some uid etc.
    >Please help me if anyone knows anything about this or the uid solution.

    You need to talk to your Sysadmin about sudo.

    Regards,

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  3. Re: Running a process requiring super user privilege from non super user

    On Feb 20, 8:44 am, Ted Linnell wrote:
    > "chets" wrote:
    > >Hi All
    > > I want to run a process, that can only be run by a super user,
    > >by a normal user. I heard that this can be done by using some uid etc.
    > >Please help me if anyone knows anything about this or the uid solution.

    > You need to talk to your Sysadmin about sudo.

    Or even better "Role Based Access Contol" which is now available since
    HP-UX 11.23. It's more flexible/powerful than sudo and is actually
    supported by HP (should that be an issue).

    Cheers,
    David

    > Regards,
    >
    > Ted.
    > ================================================== ============
    > | Ted Linnell |
    > | |
    > | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |
    > ================================================== ============

  4. Re: Running a process requiring super user privilege from non super user

    Set UID bit (you must be superuser to do this )
    see: http://docs.hp.com/de/B2355-90955/ch08s05.html

    Paul

    "chets" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1171950693.761513.130860@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi All
    > I want to run a process, that can only be run by a super user,
    > by a normal user. I heard that this can be done by using some uid etc.
    > Please help me if anyone knows anything about this or the uid solution.

  5. Re: Running a process requiring super user privilege from non super user

    "Paul Bullack" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Set UID bit (you must be superuser to do this )
    > see: http://docs.hp.com/de/B2355-90955/ch08s05.html
    >
    > Paul
    >

    > http://docs.hp.com/de/B2355-90955/ch08s05.html
    > "chets" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:1171950693.761513.130860@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    >> Hi All
    >> I want to run a process, that can only be run by a super user,
    >> by a normal user. I heard that this can be done by using some uid etc.
    >> Please help me if anyone knows anything about this or the uid solution.

    Hi
    chmod 06755 IAmRunningAsRoot.exe
    ( as an example see passwd )
    My be a better solution :
    use the freeware ? sudo
    This is a program, which kann be configured from the root user to give some
    normal users special privs.
    I don't know a link, so google for it.

    regards
    Reinhard