How to remove corrupt files ? - HP UX

This is a discussion on How to remove corrupt files ? - HP UX ; Hello there, I'm using a HP-UX 10.20 server and want to remove a directory with all it's content. I'm logged in as user root ... /tmp # rm -rf bugdir/ rm: cannot stat bugdir/file1: I/O error rm: cannot stat bugdir/file2: ...

  1. How to remove corrupt files ?

    Hello there,
    I'm using a HP-UX 10.20 server and want to remove a directory with all it's
    content.
    I'm logged in as user root ...

    /tmp # rm -rf bugdir/
    rm: cannot stat bugdir/file1: I/O error
    rm: cannot stat bugdir/file2: I/O error
    rm: directory bugdir not removed. Directory not empty

    /tmp # ls bugdir/
    file1
    file2

    /tmp # find bugdir -print
    bugdir
    find: cannot stat bugdir/file1
    find: cannot stat bugdir/file2

    any ideas how the remove directory bugdir and its content ?

    Thanks in advance

    Paul

  2. Re: How to remove corrupt files ?

    Paul Bullack wrote:
    > Hello there,
    > I'm using a HP-UX 10.20 server and want to remove a directory with all it's
    > content.
    > I'm logged in as user root ...
    >
    > /tmp # rm -rf bugdir/
    > rm: cannot stat bugdir/file1: I/O error
    > rm: cannot stat bugdir/file2: I/O error
    > rm: directory bugdir not removed. Directory not empty
    >
    > /tmp # ls bugdir/
    > file1
    > file2
    >
    > /tmp # find bugdir -print
    > bugdir
    > find: cannot stat bugdir/file1
    > find: cannot stat bugdir/file2
    >
    > any ideas how the remove directory bugdir and its content ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Paul

    Paul,

    Have you tried to fsck the filesystem where bugdir is situated on?

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: How to remove corrupt files ?

    Hi Jan,

    yes I tried, but it did do nothing, but telling me that "file sytem is
    mounted"

    Paul

    "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:b8def$45d9f7b9$18844249$29556@news.chello.nl. ..
    > Paul Bullack wrote:
    >> Hello there,
    >> I'm using a HP-UX 10.20 server and want to remove a directory with all
    >> it's content.
    >> I'm logged in as user root ...
    >>
    >> /tmp # rm -rf bugdir/
    >> rm: cannot stat bugdir/file1: I/O error
    >> rm: cannot stat bugdir/file2: I/O error
    >> rm: directory bugdir not removed. Directory not empty
    >>
    >> /tmp # ls bugdir/
    >> file1
    >> file2
    >>
    >> /tmp # find bugdir -print
    >> bugdir
    >> find: cannot stat bugdir/file1
    >> find: cannot stat bugdir/file2
    >>
    >> any ideas how the remove directory bugdir and its content ?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > Paul,
    >

    > Have you tried to fsck the filesystem where bugdir is situated on?
    >

    > Kind regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  4. Re: How to remove corrupt files ?

    Paul Bullack wrote:
    > Hi Jan,
    >
    > yes I tried, but it did do nothing, but telling me that "file sytem is
    > mounted"
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:b8def$45d9f7b9$18844249$29556@news.chello.nl. ..
    >
    >>Paul Bullack wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello there,
    >>>I'm using a HP-UX 10.20 server and want to remove a directory with all
    >>>it's content.
    >>>I'm logged in as user root ...
    >>>
    >>>/tmp # rm -rf bugdir/
    >>>rm: cannot stat bugdir/file1: I/O error
    >>>rm: cannot stat bugdir/file2: I/O error
    >>>rm: directory bugdir not removed. Directory not empty
    >>>
    >>>/tmp # ls bugdir/
    >>>file1
    >>>file2
    >>>
    >>>/tmp # find bugdir -print
    >>>bugdir
    >>>find: cannot stat bugdir/file1
    >>>find: cannot stat bugdir/file2
    >>>
    >>>any ideas how the remove directory bugdir and its content ?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>>Paul
    >>>

    >>Paul,
    >>

    >>Have you tried to fsck the filesystem where bugdir is situated on?
    >>

    >>Kind regards,
    >>

    >>Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    Hi Paul,

    First umount the filesystem where bugdir is on, the fsck the filesystem.

    After that mount the filesystem again.

    Good luck,

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra