Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium. - HP UX

This is a discussion on Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium. - HP UX ; Hi Friends , Could anyone please tell me the equivalent libraries for liblwp.a on itanium ? Thanks to you all in advance !...

  1. Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium.

    Hi Friends ,

    Could anyone please tell me the equivalent libraries for liblwp.a on
    itanium ?
    Thanks to you all in advance !

  2. Re: Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium.

    Phoenix wrote:
    > Could anyone please tell me the equivalent libraries for liblwp.a on
    > itanium ?

    In broad handwaving terms, archive libraries are eschewed in later
    HP-UX revs, and that is more so with HP-UX on Itanium.

    I have to confess I'm not entirely sure what liblwp is used for - is
    that the ancient Light Weight Protocol HP-UX had for fibre channel
    networking, or is it something for threads? Depending on the answer
    there may be a different path to take.

    rick jones

  3. Re: Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium.

    As pointed out by Rick, liblwp is no longer available as an archive
    library on Itaninum platforms.
    You may however use liblwp.so.1 that is shared.

    What interfaces are you looking for and why not use libpthread instead?
    Technically, liblwp interfaces are non-exported interfaces that are used
    internally by libpthread.

    Vishwas

    > Hi Friends ,
    >
    > Could anyone please tell me the equivalent libraries for liblwp.a on
    > itanium ?
    > Thanks to you all in advance !

  4. Re: Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium.

    On Feb 15, 1:15 am, Rick Jones wrote:
    > Phoenix wrote:
    > > Could anyone please tell me the equivalent libraries for liblwp.a on
    > > itanium ?

    > In broad handwaving terms, archive libraries are eschewed in later
    > HP-UX revs, and that is more so with HP-UX on Itanium.
    >
    > I have to confess I'm not entirely sure what liblwp is used for - is
    > that the ancient Light Weight Protocol HP-UX had for fibre channel
    > networking, or is it something for threads? Depending on the answer
    > there may be a different path to take.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > The glass is neither half-empty nor half-full. The glass has a leak.
    > The real question is "Can it be patched?"
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    Hi Rick . .

    Thanks a lot for your views . . yeah its related to light weight
    protocol
    I am trying if I can use libthread instead because most of the
    routines
    are common with little difference in interface . .

  5. Re: Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium.

    On Feb 16, 3:39 am, Vishwas wrote:
    > As pointed out by Rick, liblwp is no longer available as an archive
    > library on Itaninum platforms.
    > You may however use liblwp.so.1 that is shared.
    >
    > What interfaces are you looking for and why not use libpthread instead?
    > Technically, liblwp interfaces are non-exported interfaces that are used
    > internally by libpthread.
    >
    > Vishwas
    >

    > > Hi Friends ,

    > > Could anyone please tell me the equivalent libraries for liblwp.a on
    > > itanium ?
    > > Thanks to you all in advance !- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Vishwas,

    Thanks a lot for the help . . I am trying out both the options ,
    lets c which one clicks in favour . . do you any idea where I
    can get full details in libthread ?

  6. Re: Can't find liblwp.a on Itanium.

    I would suggest you use libpthread. libpthread interfaces are supported,
    documented interfaces and your code is likely to stay compatible across
    releases and on other (unix) vendors.

    for a broad overview of the pthread library and it's interfaces look at
    pthread(3T).
    I would suggest reading the book

    ThreadTime by Scott J. Norton and Mark D. DiPasquale, Prentice-Hall,
    ISBN 0-13-190067-6, 1996.

    which covers each of the interfaces in depth and offers some good thread
    programming models.

    Vishwas

    > Hi Vishwas,
    >
    > Thanks a lot for the help . . I am trying out both the options ,
    > lets c which one clicks in favour . . do you any idea where I
    > can get full details in libthread ?

+ Reply to Thread