712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ?? - HP UX

This is a discussion on 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ?? - HP UX ; I'm in the process of installing the Debian Sarge release to the 712/60, and my old HP SCSI cd (2040?) has given up the ghost. Not to be outdone, I stuck an ancient (though hardly used) CD-ROM, complete with caddy ...

  1. 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    I'm in the process of installing the Debian Sarge release to the 712/60,
    and my old HP SCSI cd (2040?) has given up the ghost. Not to be outdone,
    I stuck an ancient (though hardly used) CD-ROM, complete with caddy 8-)
    from an old Sun IPX station. The firmware recognizes the device as

    "scsi.4.0 SONY CD-ROM CDU-8012"

    When I attempt to "boot scsi.4.0", the firmware just cycles back to the
    system prompt, and the boot fails silently. Can anyone make a suggestion
    as to how to get the old beast to boot??

    Cheers,
    Rob.

  2. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    spam@controlq.com wrote:
    > "scsi.4.0 SONY CD-ROM CDU-8012"

    > When I attempt to "boot scsi.4.0", the firmware just cycles back to
    > the system prompt, and the boot fails silently. Can anyone make a
    > suggestion as to how to get the old beast to boot??

    I'd suggest searching the group archives (eg google or other) for
    keywords like "supported cd-rom" and variations on that theme.
    Between that and the group FAQ which may still be archived somewhere
    on rtfm.mit.edu you should find some info on what external CD drives
    were "supported" and which may have "worked."

    rick jones

  3. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    spam@controlq.com wrote:

    > I'm in the process of installing the Debian Sarge release to the 712/60,
    > and my old HP SCSI cd (2040?) has given up the ghost. Not to be
    > outdone, I stuck an ancient (though hardly used) CD-ROM, complete with
    > caddy 8-) from an old Sun IPX station. The firmware recognizes the
    > device as
    >
    > "scsi.4.0 SONY CD-ROM CDU-8012"
    >
    > When I attempt to "boot scsi.4.0", the firmware just cycles back to the
    > system prompt, and the boot fails silently. Can anyone make a
    > suggestion as to how to get the old beast to boot??
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Dont remember w/ the 700's, can you do a search from boot> prompt?
    does it see the device?

  4. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    Hi Rob

    > I'm in the process of installing the Debian Sarge release to the 712/60,
    > and my old HP SCSI cd (2040?) has given up the ghost. Not to be
    > outdone, I stuck an ancient (though hardly used) CD-ROM, complete with
    > caddy 8-) from an old Sun IPX station. The firmware recognizes the
    > device as
    >
    > "scsi.4.0 SONY CD-ROM CDU-8012"

    I have a Sony CDU-80xx (don't know the exakt type, but might be also a
    8012 - also the front is labeled as "Sony") CD-ROM attached to my 712
    and it works without problem when booting from HP-UX CDs.

    Florian

  5. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Alan D Johnson wrote:
    > spam@controlq.com wrote:
    >

    >> I'm in the process of installing the Debian Sarge release to the 712/60,
    >> and my old HP SCSI cd (2040?) has given up the ghost. Not to be outdone, I
    >> stuck an ancient (though hardly used) CD-ROM, complete with caddy 8-) from
    >> an old Sun IPX station. The firmware recognizes the device as
    >>
    >> "scsi.4.0 SONY CD-ROM CDU-8012"
    >>
    >> When I attempt to "boot scsi.4.0", the firmware just cycles back to the
    >> system prompt, and the boot fails silently. Can anyone make a suggestion
    >> as to how to get the old beast to boot??
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Rob.

    > Dont remember w/ the 700's, can you do a search from boot> prompt? does it
    > see the device?

    The quoted string is what the search from boot> reports.
    yes, it can see the device, and on the right bus id/lun.
    It just doesn't boot.

  6. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Florian Anwander wrote:

    > I have a Sony CDU-80xx (don't know the exakt type, but might be also a 8012 -
    > also the front is labeled as "Sony") CD-ROM attached to my 712 and it works
    > without problem when booting from HP-UX CDs.
    >
    > Florian

    Hmmm ... this is good information ...

  7. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    In <20070208173000.B3317@saddam.controlq.com> spam@controlq.com writes:

    >I'm in the process of installing the Debian Sarge release to the 712/60,
    >and my old HP SCSI cd (2040?) has given up the ghost. Not to be outdone,
    >I stuck an ancient (though hardly used) CD-ROM, complete with caddy 8-)
    >from an old Sun IPX station. The firmware recognizes the device as

    > "scsi.4.0 SONY CD-ROM CDU-8012"

    >When I attempt to "boot scsi.4.0", the firmware just cycles back to the
    >system prompt, and the boot fails silently. Can anyone make a suggestion
    >as to how to get the old beast to boot??

    For CD-boot, you'll need a drive which can be jumpered for 512k block size.
    Many Plextor drives (i.e. 12Plex, 12/20Plex, UltraPlex) and some others.
    Actually, I am surprised that the SUN CD-ROM doesn't work, maybe it's not
    supporting SYNC, which may cause problems (as I found out with a 6Plex...).

    For installing sarge, however, I would suggest TFTP-booting. If you have
    another box for providing the TFTP-server handy, that is.

    But remember to set ramdisk_size=32768 on the PALO prompt to get the
    installer to boot, regardless how you'll get it running - it should be
    mentioned in the release notes, but I thought I'd better mention it.
    I can't remember what the recommended size was, so you'll better check it
    anyway ;-)

    HTH,
    Uli
    --
    Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
    Stormweg 24 |listening to: Single (Hushpuppies), Pay The Cobra

  8. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    Despite all prevention efforts, Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de wrote in

    > For installing sarge, however, I would suggest TFTP-booting. If you
    > have another box for providing the TFTP-server handy, that is.

    FYI - I followed the tftp instructions for installing sarge on my 712/60,
    and it worked like a champ.

    I'm thinking about trying hp-ux 10.20 on the same machine. Does it have
    the ability to be installed via tftp as well, or will I need to find myself
    a proper CD-ROM drive?

    thanks

    --
    James
    http://www.e-host-direct.com

  9. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    Slor schrieb:

    > I'm thinking about trying hp-ux 10.20 on the same machine. Does it have
    > the ability to be installed via tftp as well, or will I need to find myself
    > a proper CD-ROM drive?

    Don't know about tftp, I installed HP-UX 9.05 and 10.20 on my 712's
    with a Toshiba XM-3701TA. In general the 700s seem to be less picky
    as far as CD-ROMs are concerned than other UNIX/VMS boxes.

  10. Re: 712/60 Debian boot problem ... From old Sun CD-ROM ??

    Slor wrote:
    > I'm thinking about trying hp-ux 10.20 on the same machine. Does it
    > have the ability to be installed via tftp as well, or will I need to
    > find myself a proper CD-ROM drive?

    I suspect not, unless you can make it look like an ignite server. WRT
    10.20, keep in mind that while the HP-UX source was "merged" for
    10.20, there were still seprate and not-interchangable media for
    "workstations" (s700) and "servers" (s800).

    rick jones