Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium - HP UX

This is a discussion on Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium - HP UX ; The company I work for is in the process of transitioning from SGI Unix boxes to HP-Ux Itainium machines (HP-UX 11.23i) and I need to port several GNU software tools to the new Itainium. So far, I have not been ...

  1. Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    The company I work for is in the process of transitioning from SGI Unix
    boxes to HP-Ux Itainium machines (HP-UX 11.23i) and I need to port several
    GNU software tools to the new Itainium. So far, I have not been able to
    successfully build and install any of the GNU software that I have tried.
    As a **very** newbie Itainium user, I'm more than a little lost as to how
    to proceed. Is it even possible to build GNU software on an Itainium
    machine and if so are there any tricks, option overrides, or patches that
    are Itainium (or maybe HP-UX) specific ? I've built a rair amount of GNU
    software in the past, on various machines, and never had a significant
    problem so I suspect there is something specific about setting up the
    configure process for the Itainium.

  2. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    breyfogle wrote:
    > The company I work for is in the process of transitioning from SGI
    > Unix boxes to HP-Ux Itainium machines (HP-UX 11.23i) and I need to

    There is 11iv2, which corresponds to an HP-UX 11.23 kernel, but there
    isn't any 11.23i

    > port several GNU software tools to the new Itainium. So far, I have
    > not been able to successfully build and install any of the GNU
    > software that I have tried. As a **very** newbie Itainium user, I'm

    Have you installed a compiler? While there is a "bundled" compiler on
    every HP-UX system, it is meant just for regenning the kernel and not
    for actually compiling applications. To that end, one should install
    a "real" compiler - either gcc or preferably (IMO, but that differs
    from others) the HP ANSI C/C++ compiler.

    > more than a little lost as to how to proceed. Is it even possible
    > to build GNU software on an Itainium machine and if so are there any
    > tricks, option overrides, or patches that are Itainium (or maybe
    > HP-UX) specific ? I've built a rair amount of GNU software in the
    > past, on various machines, and never had a significant problem so I
    > suspect there is something specific about setting up the configure
    > process for the Itainium.

    Without knowledge of the specific errors you are encountering, about
    the best anyone can suggest presently would be to point you at the
    HP-UX porting archives:

    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/

    and its mirrors. They contain a considerable quantity of freely
    available source applications ported to HP-UX. In addition, some of
    what you might want may be in the HP Internet Express bundles, which
    you should be able to find under:

    http://software.hp.com/

    rick jones

    BTW, I suspect the issues are with getting things setup under HP-UX
    rather than the hardware on which it is running.

  3. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:49:15 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

    > breyfogle wrote:
    >> The company I work for is in the process of transitioning from SGI
    >> Unix boxes to HP-Ux Itainium machines (HP-UX 11.23i) and I need to

    > There is 11iv2, which corresponds to an HP-UX 11.23 kernel, but there
    > isn't any 11.23i
    >
    >> port several GNU software tools to the new Itainium. So far, I have
    >> not been able to successfully build and install any of the GNU
    >> software that I have tried. As a **very** newbie Itainium user, I'm

    > Have you installed a compiler? While there is a "bundled" compiler on
    > every HP-UX system, it is meant just for regenning the kernel and not
    > for actually compiling applications. To that end, one should install
    > a "real" compiler - either gcc or preferably (IMO, but that differs
    > from others) the HP ANSI C/C++ compiler.
    >
    >> more than a little lost as to how to proceed. Is it even possible
    >> to build GNU software on an Itainium machine and if so are there any
    >> tricks, option overrides, or patches that are Itainium (or maybe
    >> HP-UX) specific ? I've built a rair amount of GNU software in the
    >> past, on various machines, and never had a significant problem so I
    >> suspect there is something specific about setting up the configure
    >> process for the Itainium.

    > Without knowledge of the specific errors you are encountering, about
    > the best anyone can suggest presently would be to point you at the
    > HP-UX porting archives:
    >
    > http://hpux.connect.org.uk/
    >
    > and its mirrors. They contain a considerable quantity of freely
    > available source applications ported to HP-UX. In addition, some of
    > what you might want may be in the HP Internet Express bundles, which
    > you should be able to find under:
    >
    > http://software.hp.com/
    >
    > rick jones
    >
    > BTW, I suspect the issues are with getting things setup under HP-UX
    > rather than the hardware on which it is running.

    Thanks for the reply. The new HP has the full install of HP's software
    development tools, F90, ANSI C, C++.

    I've been to the "hpux.connect.org.uk" site looking for info without
    finding much of anything related to Itanium packages. That's actually the
    site where I downloaded the source-code packages I'm working with.

    As for build errors, It's hard for me right now to know what is important
    and what isn't. When I first tried to build GNU a2ps, the configure
    script failed because it could not identify a proper host. Setting the
    host option to something the script would accept, moved the process a bit
    further until a series of compile errors popped up indicating missing
    header files (undefined typedefs mainly). Patching those (which should
    not have been necessary) got the process to the link step which seemed to
    complain about both missing shared libraries and unresolved references.

    I'm guessing that the configure script only knows about standard PA-RISC
    installations and an Itanium installation is enough different to confuse
    the process. I

  4. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    breyfogle wrote:

    [Kudos for not top posting, will say though that trimming previous
    text is generally a good thing since almost all news readers these
    days will thread posts correctly... ]

    > Thanks for the reply. The new HP has the full install of HP's
    > software development tools, F90, ANSI C, C++.

    Good.

    > I've been to the "hpux.connect.org.uk" site looking for info without
    > finding much of anything related to Itanium packages. That's
    > actually the site where I downloaded the source-code packages I'm
    > working with.

    These days they build both PA-RISC and Itanium2 versions of what they
    work-on/refresh. Taking your a2ps example from below I can see where
    you wouldn't think there is much Itanium on the site:

    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux...ipt/a2ps-4.13/

    that package on their site goes back to 2000. Looking at some other
    packages - say the latest they show on the main page:

    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux...ies/gd-2.0.33/

    You will see both PA-RISC and Itanium2.

    If there is a package on hpux.connect.org.uk which doesn't have an
    Itanium version, I think the best thing to do is to go ahead and
    contact the librarian via the Contact Us links scattered hither and
    yon:

    hpux@connect.org.uk

    > As for build errors, It's hard for me right now to know what is
    > important and what isn't.

    Cut and paste to posts here would be one possibility.

    > When I first tried to build GNU a2ps, the configure script failed
    > because it could not identify a proper host. Setting the host option
    > to something the script would accept, moved the process a bit
    > further until a series of compile errors popped up indicating
    > missing header files (undefined typedefs mainly). Patching those
    > (which should not have been necessary) got the process to the link
    > step which seemed to complain about both missing shared libraries
    > and unresolved references.

    Given the age of connect.org.uk's port of a2ps it might be worthwhile
    to find something newer as a starting point. Or asking the
    connect.org.uk librarian to. Just guessing, but the missing libraries
    were probably prereqs for things that do not ship with HP-UX.

    The connect.org.uk folks may not have been as good about listing
    build/runtime dependencies on those older packages. On the newer ones
    they seem to be pretty good about it, which should make life easier.

    > I'm guessing that the configure script only knows about standard
    > PA-RISC installations and an Itanium installation is enough
    > different to confuse the process.

    In the case of a2ps, if there were indeed something looking at the
    machine type, that port is old enough it wouldn't have groked ia64
    coming-out of uname.

    rick jones

  5. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:18:22 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

    > breyfogle wrote:
    >
    > [Kudos for not top posting, will say though that trimming previous
    > text is generally a good thing since almost all news readers these
    > days will thread posts correctly... ]
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply. The new HP has the full install of HP's
    >> software development tools, F90, ANSI C, C++.

    > Good.
    >
    >> I've been to the "hpux.connect.org.uk" site looking for info without
    >> finding much of anything related to Itanium packages. That's
    >> actually the site where I downloaded the source-code packages I'm
    >> working with.

    > These days they build both PA-RISC and Itanium2 versions of what they
    > work-on/refresh. Taking your a2ps example from below I can see where
    > you wouldn't think there is much Itanium on the site:
    >
    > http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux...ipt/a2ps-4.13/
    >
    > that package on their site goes back to 2000. Looking at some other
    > packages - say the latest they show on the main page:
    >
    > http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux...ies/gd-2.0.33/
    >
    > You will see both PA-RISC and Itanium2.
    >
    > If there is a package on hpux.connect.org.uk which doesn't have an
    > Itanium version, I think the best thing to do is to go ahead and
    > contact the librarian via the Contact Us links scattered hither and
    > yon:
    >
    > hpux@connect.org.uk
    >
    >> As for build errors, It's hard for me right now to know what is
    >> important and what isn't.

    > Cut and paste to posts here would be one possibility.
    >
    >> When I first tried to build GNU a2ps, the configure script failed
    >> because it could not identify a proper host. Setting the host option
    >> to something the script would accept, moved the process a bit
    >> further until a series of compile errors popped up indicating
    >> missing header files (undefined typedefs mainly). Patching those
    >> (which should not have been necessary) got the process to the link
    >> step which seemed to complain about both missing shared libraries
    >> and unresolved references.

    > Given the age of connect.org.uk's port of a2ps it might be worthwhile
    > to find something newer as a starting point. Or asking the
    > connect.org.uk librarian to. Just guessing, but the missing libraries
    > were probably prereqs for things that do not ship with HP-UX.
    >
    > The connect.org.uk folks may not have been as good about listing
    > build/runtime dependencies on those older packages. On the newer ones
    > they seem to be pretty good about it, which should make life easier.
    >
    >> I'm guessing that the configure script only knows about standard
    >> PA-RISC installations and an Itanium installation is enough
    >> different to confuse the process.

    > In the case of a2ps, if there were indeed something looking at the
    > machine type, that port is old enough it wouldn't have groked ia64
    > coming-out of uname.
    >
    > rick jones

    ....Made a bit of progress by building a simplier package (enscript) that
    does similar things. I can get enscript build with only the following
    warning messages. Something is not right WRT lex (I think). Although the
    enscript build completes, when it is run, I can get fatal run-time errors
    about these same undefined symbols. Any Ideas ?

    cc -g -o states main.o utils.o prims.o process.o gram.o lex.o
    .../afmlib/libafm.a ../compat/libcompat.a -ll

    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylenguc" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyinput" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyunput" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyolsp" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyoutput" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yytextuc" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyextra" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyfnd" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyprevious" in file
    /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylsp" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylstate" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yytextarr" in file
    /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyback" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    13 warnings.

  6. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    breyfogle wrote:

    [ trim, please ]

    > ...Made a bit of progress by building a simplier package (enscript)
    > that does similar things. I can get enscript build with only the
    > following warning messages. Something is not right WRT lex (I
    > think). Although the enscript build completes, when it is run, I
    > can get fatal run-time errors about these same undefined symbols.
    > Any Ideas ?

    > cc -g -o states main.o utils.o prims.o process.o gram.o lex.o
    > ../afmlib/libafm.a ../compat/libcompat.a -ll

    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylenguc" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyinput" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyunput" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyolsp" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyoutput" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yytextuc" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyextra" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyfnd" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyprevious" in file
    > /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylsp" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylstate" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yytextarr" in file
    > /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyback" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    > 13 warnings.

    Being woefully ilinfomred about lex (flex) and yacc (bison), I'd be
    inclined to think that indeed, something was amis - the build did
    indeed use HP's lex and not a flex you installed?

    Was there any use of yacc? ISTR that "yy" routines may be yacc
    routines - perhaps a -ly is needed as well?

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  7. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:19:06 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

    > breyfogle wrote:
    >
    > [ trim, please ]
    >
    >> ...Made a bit of progress by building a simplier package (enscript)
    >> that does similar things. I can get enscript build with only the
    >> following warning messages. Something is not right WRT lex (I
    >> think). Although the enscript build completes, when it is run, I
    >> can get fatal run-time errors about these same undefined symbols.
    >> Any Ideas ?

    >> cc -g -o states main.o utils.o prims.o process.o gram.o lex.o
    >> ../afmlib/libafm.a ../compat/libcompat.a -ll

    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylenguc" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyinput" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyunput" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyolsp" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyoutput" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yytextuc" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyextra" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyfnd" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyprevious" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylsp" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yylstate" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yytextarr" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "yyback" in file
    >> /usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so
    >> 13 warnings.

    > Being woefully ilinfomred about lex (flex) and yacc (bison), I'd be
    > inclined to think that indeed, something was amis - the build did
    > indeed use HP's lex and not a flex you installed?
    >
    > Was there any use of yacc? ISTR that "yy" routines may be yacc
    > routines - perhaps a -ly is needed as well?
    >
    > rick jones

    There is actually quite an extensive e-trail for this same problem dating
    back several years that seems to implicate something about HP's ia64 lex
    implementation. One thread I found was typical:

    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutil.../msg00337.html

    Unfortunately, I have not found any hint of a solution. Building GNU flex
    might work but that also requires GNU Bison and maybe gcc, gmake etc....

  8. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    breyfogle wrote:
    > There is actually quite an extensive e-trail for this same problem
    > dating back several years that seems to implicate something about
    > HP's ia64 lex implementation. One thread I found was typical:

    > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutil.../msg00337.html

    > Unfortunately, I have not found any hint of a solution.

    It sounds like their workaround was listed there:

    I worked around the problem by nulling out LEXLIB before
    running configure:

    export LEXLIB=" "
    /.../.../configure ...
    make
    make install

    This causes the configure script to skip the test for LEXLIB
    and just use a blank value rather than the normal value of "-ll".

    'ar' and the other binutils programs don't actually need "-ll",
    because they carefully define their own yywrap().

    Did that have any effect in your situation?

    > Building GNU flex might work but that also requires GNU Bison and
    > maybe gcc, gmake etc....

    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gnu/flex-2.5.4a/

    shows an 11.23 Itanium2 version, with _runtime_ dependency on bison:

    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gnu/bison-2.3/

    which shows no other run-time dependencies. They both show a
    build-time dependency on make:

    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gnu/make-3.81/

    all of which seem to be ports from 2006.

    rick jones

  9. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > breyfogle wrote:
    >> There is actually quite an extensive e-trail for this same problem
    >> dating back several years that seems to implicate something about
    >> HP's ia64 lex implementation. One thread I found was typical:

    >> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutil.../msg00337.html

    >> Unfortunately, I have not found any hint of a solution.

    > It sounds like their workaround was listed there:
    >
    > I worked around the problem by nulling out LEXLIB before
    > running configure:
    >
    > export LEXLIB=" "
    > /.../.../configure ...
    > make
    > make install
    >
    > This causes the configure script to skip the test for LEXLIB
    > and just use a blank value rather than the normal value of "-ll".
    >
    > 'ar' and the other binutils programs don't actually need "-ll",
    > because they carefully define their own yywrap().
    >
    > Did that have any effect in your situation?
    >
    >> Building GNU flex might work but that also requires GNU Bison and
    >> maybe gcc, gmake etc....

    > http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gnu/flex-2.5.4a/
    >
    > shows an 11.23 Itanium2 version, with _runtime_ dependency on bison:
    >
    > http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gnu/bison-2.3/
    >
    > which shows no other run-time dependencies. They both show a
    > build-time dependency on make:
    >
    > http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gnu/make-3.81/
    >
    > all of which seem to be ports from 2006.
    >
    > rick jones

    Unfortunately, the packages I am trying to build actually use the
    missing lex functions. If I link without LEXLIB the build completes but
    the application crashes at runtime.

  10. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    breyfogle wrote:
    > Unfortunately, the packages I am trying to build actually use the
    > missing lex functions. If I link without LEXLIB the build completes
    > but the application crashes at runtime.

    Well, I'm tapped-out - it might be good to try email to
    hpux-devtools@cxx.cup.hp.com or perhaps cxx-dev@cxx.cup.hp.com - both
    lists are maintained via email to majordomo@cxx.cup.hp.com.

    rick jones

  11. Re: Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:23:44 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

    > breyfogle wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, the packages I am trying to build actually use the
    >> missing lex functions. If I link without LEXLIB the build completes
    >> but the application crashes at runtime.

    > Well, I'm tapped-out - it might be good to try email to
    > hpux-devtools@cxx.cup.hp.com or perhaps cxx-dev@cxx.cup.hp.com - both
    > lists are maintained via email to majordomo@cxx.cup.hp.com.
    >
    > rick jones

    Just to closeout this thread for the benefit of some future googler:

    First) thanks Rick for your assistance.

    Second) my problem building a2ps v4.13 was solved by reverting to v4.12
    (or earlier). While v4.12 doesn't know about an "ia64" host, it seems to
    build and run just fine when built using an "hppa" host specification. It
    seems like a2ps v4.13 is less tolerant of differences between what the
    dependent GNU packages (flex,bison,gettext,libiconv) expect and what HP
    installs. Older versions seem to just do the right thing.

    Third) The porting center updated their Depot binaries for a2ps v4.13 and
    enscript 1.6.1.