HPUX root account keeps getting disabled - HP UX

This is a discussion on HPUX root account keeps getting disabled - HP UX ; Hi, I have HPUX box whose root account gets disabled very often. What could be the reason? The password aging is set to 120 days. Number of unsuccessful tries, which is set to the default 3. I am the only ...

  1. HPUX root account keeps getting disabled

    Hi,

    I have HPUX box whose root account gets disabled very often. What could
    be the reason?

    The password aging is set to 120 days.
    Number of unsuccessful tries, which is set to the default 3. I am the
    only user and I never attempted wrong password.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mehaboob

  2. Re: HPUX root account keeps getting disabled

    Ideas:

    1 - A "security testing" process attempting to crack server passwords.
    They usually start with "root". After 3 bad attempts, root would be
    disabled. We've been bit by this one in the past.

    2 - Some periodically running cron job that has been forgotten about
    trying to connect with the wrong root password.

    3 - Disgruntled employee that somehow has access to the server.

    Good luck on your hunt.

    Eugene Pokopac (Oracle DBA - GSFA - Tucker, GA)

+ Reply to Thread