LVEXTEND error - HP UX

This is a discussion on LVEXTEND error - HP UX ; I have /opt that is getting a wee bit full. I try to extend it but I am getting: lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available This is on vg00 and I have about 14GB of free space I can ...

  1. LVEXTEND error

    I have /opt that is getting a wee bit full. I try to extend it but I am
    getting:

    lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available

    This is on vg00 and I have about 14GB of free space I can allocate. I
    am not sure what to do with this error.

    Robert

  2. Re: LVEXTEND error

    Robert Hicks wrote:
    > I have /opt that is getting a wee bit full. I try to extend it but I am
    > getting:
    >
    > lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available
    >
    > This is on vg00 and I have about 14GB of free space I can allocate. I
    > am not sure what to do with this error.
    >
    > Robert

    A couple of things: if allocation is strict/contiguous, you may not
    have sufficient contiguous space available. or you may be having
    issues regarding physical extent size / max number of extents allowed

  3. Re: LVEXTEND error

    OldSchool wrote:
    > Robert Hicks wrote:
    > > I have /opt that is getting a wee bit full. I try to extend it but I am
    > > getting:
    > >
    > > lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available
    > >
    > > This is on vg00 and I have about 14GB of free space I can allocate. I
    > > am not sure what to do with this error.
    > >
    > > Robert

    > A couple of things: if allocation is strict/contiguous, you may not
    > have sufficient contiguous space available. or you may be having
    > issues regarding physical extent size / max number of extents allowed

    I had a more seasoned HP admin look and he wasn't sure if the extent
    size/ max number could be messed with. I don't think it has the
    contiguous space checked off on that volume.

    Robert

  4. Re: LVEXTEND error

    Robert Hicks wrote:

    > I had a more seasoned HP admin look and he wasn't sure if the extent
    > size/ max number could be messed with. I don't think it has the
    > contiguous space checked off on that volume.
    >
    > Robert

    Ok, you will need to examine the output of vgdisplay -v vg00, lvdisplay
    -v /dev/vg00/lvol5, and pvdisplay /dev/dsk/c?t?d? for each disk in the
    lvdisplay.

    if the disk is mirrored w/ "strict" policy, it could be that it
    couldn't find enough extents to insure that the mirror(s) are on
    separate spindles.

    if, as you say, the volume group has plenty of space available, then it
    may simply be that you need to extend lvol5 onto another drive in the
    volume group.

    regarding the extent size, the reports above should show you how many
    extents you have available to you. what sometimes happens is that that
    the PE is set small, and there are only a fixed number of extents
    available, limiting size. This usually happens w/ small drives that
    are being replaced by larger drives. the only fix in that case,
    AFAIK, is to rebuild from an ignite tape.

    HTH

  5. Re: LVEXTEND error

    On Dec 18, 2:59 pm, "OldSchool" wrote:
    > Robert Hicks wrote:
    >
    > > I had a more seasoned HP admin look and he wasn't sure if the extent
    > > size/ max number could be messed with. I don't think it has the
    > > contiguous space checked off on that volume.

    > > RobertOk, you will need to examine the output of vgdisplay -v vg00, lvdisplay

    > -v /dev/vg00/lvol5, and pvdisplay /dev/dsk/c?t?d? for each disk in the
    > lvdisplay.
    >
    > if the disk is mirrored w/ "strict" policy, it could be that it
    > couldn't find enough extents to insure that the mirror(s) are on
    > separate spindles.
    >
    > if, as you say, the volume group has plenty of space available, then it
    > may simply be that you need to extend lvol5 onto another drive in the
    > volume group.
    >
    > regarding the extent size, the reports above should show you how many
    > extents you have available to you. what sometimes happens is that that
    > the PE is set small, and there are only a fixed number of extents
    > available, limiting size. This usually happens w/ small drives that
    > are being replaced by larger drives. the only fix in that case,
    > AFAIK, is to rebuild from an ignite tape.
    >
    > HTH

    Thank you for the explanation.

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread