Re: Linking Datasets With Suprtool - HP UX

This is a discussion on Re: Linking Datasets With Suprtool - HP UX ; stratton.thomas@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm just starting a new job using powerhouse and suprtool. I've never > touched either of them before. > What I need to do is link two datasets together in a 1-Many > ...

  1. Re: Linking Datasets With Suprtool

    stratton.thomas@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm just starting a new job using powerhouse and suprtool. I've never
    > touched either of them before.
    > What I need to do is link two datasets together in a 1-Many
    > relationship:
    > Eg. A dataset with customer names and another with phone numbers
    > (customers can have more than one number in this example, for home,
    > business, cell, etc)
    >
    > CUSTOMERS
    > Cust-No Cust-Name
    > 0001 John
    > 0002 Ben
    >
    > PHONE
    > Cust-No Cust-Phone
    > 0001 555-1234
    > 0001 555-2345
    > 0001 555-3456
    > 0002 555-4567
    > 0002 555-5678
    >
    > DESIRED OUTPUT
    > Name Phone#
    > John 555-1234
    > John 555-2345
    > John 555-3456
    > Ben 555-4567
    > Ben 555-5678
    >
    > Quiz does this rather easily, but it takes too long. Is there any way
    > to do this in suprtool?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tom.

    Dear Tom,

    To clarify for those who are able to help you? What type of database are
    we talking about? TurboImage/Eloquence or another DBMS?

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra (RHCE, HP-CSA in HPUX & NCLP)

  2. Re: Linking Datasets With Suprtool

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > stratton.thomas@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I'm just starting a new job using powerhouse and suprtool. I've never
    > > touched either of them before.
    > > What I need to do is link two datasets together in a 1-Many
    > > relationship:
    > > Eg. A dataset with customer names and another with phone numbers
    > > (customers can have more than one number in this example, for home,
    > > business, cell, etc)
    > >
    > > CUSTOMERS
    > > Cust-No Cust-Name
    > > 0001 John
    > > 0002 Ben
    > >
    > > PHONE
    > > Cust-No Cust-Phone
    > > 0001 555-1234
    > > 0001 555-2345
    > > 0001 555-3456
    > > 0002 555-4567
    > > 0002 555-5678
    > >
    > > DESIRED OUTPUT
    > > Name Phone#
    > > John 555-1234
    > > John 555-2345
    > > John 555-3456
    > > Ben 555-4567
    > > Ben 555-5678
    > >
    > > Quiz does this rather easily, but it takes too long. Is there any way
    > > to do this in suprtool?
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Tom.
    > >

    > Dear Tom,
    >

    > To clarify for those who are able to help you? What type of database are
    > we talking about? TurboImage/Eloquence or another DBMS?
    >

    > Kind regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra (RHCE, HP-CSA in HPUX & NCLP)

    These are Image datasets.

  3. Re: Linking Datasets With Suprtool

    stratton.thomas@gmail.com wrote:
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > > stratton.thomas@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > I'm just starting a new job using powerhouse and suprtool. I've never
    > > > touched either of them before.
    > > > What I need to do is link two datasets together in a 1-Many
    > > > relationship:
    > > > Eg. A dataset with customer names and another with phone numbers
    > > > (customers can have more than one number in this example, for home,
    > > > business, cell, etc)
    > > >
    > > > CUSTOMERS
    > > > Cust-No Cust-Name
    > > > 0001 John
    > > > 0002 Ben
    > > >
    > > > PHONE
    > > > Cust-No Cust-Phone
    > > > 0001 555-1234
    > > > 0001 555-2345
    > > > 0001 555-3456
    > > > 0002 555-4567
    > > > 0002 555-5678
    > > >
    > > > DESIRED OUTPUT
    > > > Name Phone#
    > > > John 555-1234
    > > > John 555-2345
    > > > John 555-3456
    > > > Ben 555-4567
    > > > Ben 555-5678
    > > >
    > > > Quiz does this rather easily, but it takes too long. Is there any way
    > > > to do this in suprtool?
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Tom.
    > > >

    > > Dear Tom,
    > >

    > > To clarify for those who are able to help you? What type of database are
    > > we talking about? TurboImage/Eloquence or another DBMS?
    > >

    > > Kind regards,
    > >

    > > Jan Gerrit Kootstra (RHCE, HP-CSA in HPUX & NCLP)

    > These are Image datasets.

    I should mention that it doesn't take long to dump these records into a
    subfile, so I'm not bound by database access

+ Reply to Thread