Snoop or tcpdump - HP UX

This is a discussion on Snoop or tcpdump - HP UX ; Hi, i dont know crap about HPUX...but i do know about other Unix platforms, so I am successfully fumbling my way around a HPUX system.... What i need to know is if tcpdump or snoop has a native equilivent on ...

  1. Snoop or tcpdump

    Hi,

    i dont know crap about HPUX...but i do know about other Unix platforms,
    so I am successfully fumbling my way around a HPUX system....

    What i need to know is if tcpdump or snoop has a native equilivent on
    HPUX...Im not able to install either and I need to do some packet
    capture.

    Any help would be appreciated

    Daniel

  2. Re: Snoop or tcpdump

    There is tcpdump.
    And even Ethereal.
    Please check the Internet Express DVD in your HPUX media.

    wrote in message news:1166063123.437533.15900@t46g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > i dont know crap about HPUX...but i do know about other Unix platforms,
    > so I am successfully fumbling my way around a HPUX system....
    >
    > What i need to know is if tcpdump or snoop has a native equilivent on
    > HPUX...Im not able to install either and I need to do some packet
    > capture.
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > Daniel

  3. Re: Snoop or tcpdump

    Hi Daniel,

    Check out /usr/sbin/nettl, it's the native hpux tool. Upon reading the
    man page you will become quickly enlightened (especially if you know
    tcpdump/snoop).

    Or you could download tcpdump from "The Porting And Archive Centre for
    HP-UX"

    http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/

    Have fun,
    Dave

    Zak. wrote:
    > There is tcpdump.
    > And even Ethereal.
    > Please check the Internet Express DVD in your HPUX media.
    >
    > wrote in message news:1166063123.437533.15900@t46g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > i dont know crap about HPUX...but i do know about other Unix platforms,
    > > so I am successfully fumbling my way around a HPUX system....
    > >
    > > What i need to know is if tcpdump or snoop has a native equilivent on
    > > HPUX...Im not able to install either and I need to do some packet
    > > capture.
    > >

    > > Any help would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Daniel

  4. Re: Snoop or tcpdump

    galooni wrote:
    > Check out /usr/sbin/nettl, it's the native hpux tool. Upon reading
    > the man page you will become quickly enlightened (especially if you
    > know tcpdump/snoop).

    > Or you could download tcpdump from "The Porting And Archive Centre
    > for HP-UX"

    > http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/

    If you have compilers installed on the system (not sure if the bundled
    compiler will suffice) I prefer to build from scratch:
    http://www.tcpdump.org/ - note that one does _NOT_ really need flex
    and bison for tcpdump, one just has to make sure that some of the
    %settings in one of the .l (?) files are large enough because HP's
    lex/yacc won't automagically increase them. I send the occasional
    patch bumping those when I see them getting close to a limit.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?