OpenMP+F90+HP UX: How to create more threads on Itanium2 CPU? - HP UX

This is a discussion on OpenMP+F90+HP UX: How to create more threads on Itanium2 CPU? - HP UX ; If there are N idle CPUs, it can't create more than N threads on HP superdome 9000 server(Intanium2, HP-UX and HP Fortran). But the same code can run on HP RX2600 cluster(Redhat AS4, Intel Fortran and the same Itanium2 CPU ...

  1. OpenMP+F90+HP UX: How to create more threads on Itanium2 CPU?

    If there are N idle CPUs, it can't create more than N threads on HP
    superdome 9000 server(Intanium2, HP-UX and HP Fortran).

    But the same code can run on HP RX2600 cluster(Redhat AS4, Intel
    Fortran and the same Itanium2 CPU as the superdome).

    I have tested MPI on the same superdome server, and it can create 80
    processes even only two CPUs.

    What's wrong? How to configure the superdome to support creating more
    OpenMP threads.

    Thank you.

    hpsc->cat x.f90
    program hello
    use omp_lib
    implicit none
    integer tid, num
    !$omp parallel private(tid, num)
    tid = omp_get_thread_num()
    num=OMP_GET_NUM_THREADS()
    print*, tid,num
    !$omp end parallel
    end
    hpsc->f90 +Oopenmp x.f90
    x.f90
    program HELLO

    11 Lines Compiled
    hpsc->export OMP_NUM_THREADS=80
    hpsc->./a.out
    0 2
    1 2
    hpsc->uname -a
    HP-UX hpsc B.11.23 U ia64 0700834332 unlimited-user license
    hpsc->f90 -v
    f90: IA64 system (32-bit, +DSblended); cache: 6144KB, 128B line, 24-way

  2. Re: OpenMP+F90+HP UX: How to create more threads on Itanium2 CPU?

    After do:

    export OMP_OVERSUB=1
    or
    setenv OMP_OVERSUB 1

    it's OK now.

    "HM Li д
    "
    > If there are N idle CPUs, it can't create more than N threads on HP
    > superdome 9000 server(Intanium2, HP-UX and HP Fortran).
    >
    > But the same code can run on HP RX2600 cluster(Redhat AS4, Intel
    > Fortran and the same Itanium2 CPU as the superdome).
    >
    > I have tested MPI on the same superdome server, and it can create 80
    > processes even only two CPUs.
    >
    > What's wrong? How to configure the superdome to support creating more
    > OpenMP threads.
    >
    > Thank you.

    > hpsc->cat x.f90
    > program hello
    > use omp_lib
    > implicit none
    > integer tid, num
    > !$omp parallel private(tid, num)
    > tid = omp_get_thread_num()
    > num=OMP_GET_NUM_THREADS()
    > print*, tid,num
    > !$omp end parallel
    > end
    > hpsc->f90 +Oopenmp x.f90
    > x.f90
    > program HELLO
    >
    > 11 Lines Compiled
    > hpsc->export OMP_NUM_THREADS=80
    > hpsc->./a.out
    > 0 2
    > 1 2
    > hpsc->uname -a
    > HP-UX hpsc B.11.23 U ia64 0700834332 unlimited-user license
    > hpsc->f90 -v
    > f90: IA64 system (32-bit, +DSblended); cache: 6144KB, 128B line, 24-way

+ Reply to Thread