change scsi id - HP UX

This is a discussion on change scsi id - HP UX ; Hi, I have a c3700 hp-ux workstation and have a a4976a scsi adapter. I want to change scsi id of the scsi adapter but i did not find the scsi command in the boot menu. So, I plug the adapter ...

  1. change scsi id

    Hi,
    I have a c3700 hp-ux workstation and have a a4976a scsi adapter. I want
    to change scsi id of the scsi adapter but i did not find the scsi
    command in the boot menu. So, I plug the adapter into my PC and then
    enter the scsi BIOS. I then change the scsi id from 7 to 6 of the
    adapter in the scsi BIOS. But, when i put the adapter back to the c3700
    and boot up the hp-ux OS, i find the scsi id of the adapter is still 7.
    Why? Thanks

  2. Re: change scsi id

    BL wrote:
    > I have a c3700 hp-ux workstation and have a a4976a scsi adapter. I
    > want to change scsi id of the scsi adapter but i did not find the
    > scsi command in the boot menu. So, I plug the adapter into my PC and
    > then enter the scsi BIOS. I then change the scsi id from 7 to 6 of
    > the adapter in the scsi BIOS. But, when i put the adapter back to
    > the c3700 and boot up the hp-ux OS, i find the scsi id of the
    > adapter is still 7. Why? Thanks

    Long ago and far away, when "HA" (High Availability) meant shared SCSI
    discs, "servers" were given the ability to set the SCSI adaptor ID to
    something other than the default (I always thought the default was 6
    though...anyway...). Only "servers" were supposed to need "HA" and
    "HA" was the "only" reason to have two systems on the same SCSI bus,
    so "workstations" were not given that ability. Hence no scsi command
    in the boot menu on a "workstation."

    I don't know enough about SCSI HBA's to know if the ID is stored in
    nvram or if one has to do something special to get it to go there when
    you go to change it. Could it be the case that when you disconnected
    the adaptor from the PC it "forgot" the new ID? If you disconnect and
    then insert in another PC (just to make sure it isn't the PC BIOS
    remembering the ID...) does the new ID "stick?" If so, then I guess
    the workstation firmware is resetting it.

    rick jones

  3. Re: change scsi id

    Rick Jones gDG

    > Long ago and far away, when "HA" (High Availability) meant shared SCSI
    > discs, "servers" were given the ability to set the SCSI adaptor ID to
    > something other than the default (I always thought the default was 6
    > though...anyway...). Only "servers" were supposed to need "HA" and
    > "HA" was the "only" reason to have two systems on the same SCSI bus,
    > so "workstations" were not given that ability. Hence no scsi command
    > in the boot menu on a "workstation."
    >
    > I don't know enough about SCSI HBA's to know if the ID is stored in
    > nvram or if one has to do something special to get it to go there when
    > you go to change it. Could it be the case that when you disconnected
    > the adaptor from the PC it "forgot" the new ID? If you disconnect and
    > then insert in another PC (just to make sure it isn't the PC BIOS
    > remembering the ID...) does the new ID "stick?" If so, then I guess
    > the workstation firmware is resetting it.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > portable adj, code that compiles under more than one compiler
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    Hi Rick,
    I see. Thanks. If I used fibre channel to build the "HA" environment in
    the workstation, the "scsi id" problem will not affect my setup. Right?

  4. Re: change scsi id

    BL wrote:
    > I see. Thanks. If I used fibre channel to build the "HA" environment
    > in the workstation, the "scsi id" problem will not affect my
    > setup. Right?

    From what little I know about "things HA" I'd say that does have a
    greater chance of working.

    rick jones