make_tape_recovery from rp7410 to rp5450 problems - HP UX

This is a discussion on make_tape_recovery from rp7410 to rp5450 problems - HP UX ; We recently purchased a rp5450 as a test/recovery server for our rp7410 main production server. The rp7410 has a VA7100 array and the rp5450 has a VA7400 arrays. I make a make_tape_recovery tape using this command on the rp7410: make_tape_recovery ...

  1. make_tape_recovery from rp7410 to rp5450 problems

    We recently purchased a rp5450 as a test/recovery server for our rp7410
    main production server. The rp7410 has a VA7100 array and the rp5450
    has a VA7400 arrays. I make a make_tape_recovery tape using this
    command on the rp7410:

    make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/c2t3d0BESTn -x inc_entire=vg00 -x
    inc_entire=vg01 -I -v -t "move to O.W.L.S"

    When I boot from the tape I get the following error after I change the
    server name and ip address and select GO! To install the OS.

    Creating volume group "vg01"
    Vgcreate: coundn't install the physical volume "dev/dsk/c2t0d0"
    The path does not specify a valis physical volume
    ERROR: Command "sbin/vgcreate -A n -e 25600 -l 255 -p 16
    -s 4 /dev/vg01
    /dev/dsk/c6t0d1 /dev/dsk/c4t0d1 /dev/dsk/c4t0d0
    /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    Failed

    The configuration process has incurred an error, would you like
    To push a shell for debugging purpses? (y/[n]):

    What does this all mean? How do I resolve this??

    Vg00 has 16 lv plus swap on it all in VxFS format. Vg01 had 3 VxFS lv
    and 38 nodes (created with mknod) . lvol01 on vg01 is one of the nodes
    for our Informix database and that seems to be the one that the error
    is talking about. lvol02 on vg01 is one of the VxFS volumes.

    John Adamski

  2. Re: make_tape_recovery from rp7410 to rp5450 problems

    jda wrote:
    > We recently purchased a rp5450 as a test/recovery server for our rp7410
    > main production server. The rp7410 has a VA7100 array and the rp5450
    > has a VA7400 arrays. I make a make_tape_recovery tape using this
    > command on the rp7410:
    >
    > make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/c2t3d0BESTn -x inc_entire=vg00 -x
    > inc_entire=vg01 -I -v -t "move to O.W.L.S"
    >
    > When I boot from the tape I get the following error after I change the
    > server name and ip address and select GO! To install the OS.
    >
    > Creating volume group "vg01"
    > Vgcreate: coundn't install the physical volume "dev/dsk/c2t0d0"
    > The path does not specify a valis physical volume
    > ERROR: Command "sbin/vgcreate -A n -e 25600 -l 255 -p 16
    > -s 4 /dev/vg01
    > /dev/dsk/c6t0d1 /dev/dsk/c4t0d1 /dev/dsk/c4t0d0
    > /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    > Failed

    Normally you would not use recovery from a tape on
    two different configurations. Because of the way
    rp5450 is built (storage controller on a different
    PCI slot) the physical volume would be called by a
    different lun path (something other than the
    "dev/dsk/c2t0d0")

    These lun path device special files (ex: "dev/dsk/c2t0d0")
    change their name based on where they are connected.
    c2t0d0 means controller instance 2 - target 0 -
    destination 0. So, the same lun (disk) will be referred
    to by a different DSF if you connect it to a different
    controller.

    So, in this case you would have to clean install
    the OS and setup all your software on the new
    system rp5450.

    I'm not a make_tape_recovery guy, so please wait for
    other replies on this thread before shooting it.

    HTH --vishwas.

  3. Re: make_tape_recovery from rp7410 to rp5450 problems

    Hi jda;
    when you boot from tape check which disk are present.
    The error messages say that are unable to install on device /dev/dsk/c2t0d0.
    I suggest to change device installation for vg01

    Regards
    Antonio

    "jda" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1165608971.846047.235780@j72g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > We recently purchased a rp5450 as a test/recovery server for our rp7410
    > main production server. The rp7410 has a VA7100 array and the rp5450
    > has a VA7400 arrays. I make a make_tape_recovery tape using this
    > command on the rp7410:
    >
    > make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/c2t3d0BESTn -x inc_entire=vg00 -x
    > inc_entire=vg01 -I -v -t "move to O.W.L.S"
    >
    > When I boot from the tape I get the following error after I change the
    > server name and ip address and select GO! To install the OS.
    >
    > Creating volume group "vg01"
    > Vgcreate: coundn't install the physical volume "dev/dsk/c2t0d0"
    > The path does not specify a valis physical volume
    > ERROR: Command "sbin/vgcreate -A n -e 25600 -l 255 -p 16
    > -s 4 /dev/vg01
    > /dev/dsk/c6t0d1 /dev/dsk/c4t0d1 /dev/dsk/c4t0d0
    > /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    > Failed
    >
    > The configuration process has incurred an error, would you like
    > To push a shell for debugging purpses? (y/[n]):
    >

    > What does this all mean? How do I resolve this??
    >

    > Vg00 has 16 lv plus swap on it all in VxFS format. Vg01 had 3 VxFS lv
    > and 38 nodes (created with mknod) . lvol01 on vg01 is one of the nodes
    > for our Informix database and that seems to be the one that the error
    > is talking about. lvol02 on vg01 is one of the VxFS volumes.
    >
    > John Adamski

  4. Re: make_tape_recovery from rp7410 to rp5450 problems

    Antonio,

    Thanks for the idea, I will look, I thought I had the array setup the
    same on both server (i.e. c2t0d0), I guess I don't. Will have to see
    if I can figure out what it really is.

    John

+ Reply to Thread