HPUX vs Linux - HP UX

This is a discussion on HPUX vs Linux - HP UX ; Hi, I am setting up a home server based around an N4000 server. The hardware is fixed but I have a choice of either the Debian Linux port or HPUX. The server itself has 8x 550MHz processors and 4GB ram ...

  1. HPUX vs Linux

    Hi,

    I am setting up a home server based around an N4000 server. The
    hardware is fixed but I have a choice of either the Debian Linux port
    or HPUX. The server itself has 8x 550MHz processors and 4GB ram so if
    multiprocessor is an issue then that may be the deciding issue.
    Certainly the hardware should handle the load.

    What I am looking for is current comparable performance data. Most of
    the data that I have been able to find on the web is over 2 years old,
    long predating a fully stable complete Linux port, and was often
    PA-RISC/HPUX vs Intel/Linux. What I am after is data on the same
    hardware.

    What I am concerned about are the issues of stability and performance,
    if the server goes down when I am away from home, which happens quite
    frequently, then the family has no server until I reboot it.

    I know linux well, although I have not used debian for some years.
    I've used both SCO and Solaris over the years so the idea of another
    variant of unix doesn't particularly bother me. Are there any obvious
    gotchas that I might have missed?

    Thanks in advance

    Tim Lovell

  2. Re: HPUX vs Linux

    TimLovell wrote:
    > I am setting up a home server based around an N4000 server. The
    > hardware is fixed but I have a choice of either the Debian Linux
    > port or HPUX. The server itself has 8x 550MHz processors and 4GB
    > ram so if multiprocessor is an issue then that may be the deciding
    > issue. Certainly the hardware should handle the load.

    What is the load of your home server?

    > What I am looking for is current comparable performance data. Most
    > of the data that I have been able to find on the web is over 2 years
    > old, long predating a fully stable complete Linux port, and was
    > often PA-RISC/HPUX vs Intel/Linux. What I am after is data on the
    > same hardware.

    I suspect it will be hard to find if it even exists.

    > What I am concerned about are the issues of stability and
    > performance, if the server goes down when I am away from home, which
    > happens quite frequently, then the family has no server until I
    > reboot it.

    > I know linux well, although I have not used debian for some years.
    > I've used both SCO and Solaris over the years so the idea of another
    > variant of unix doesn't particularly bother me. Are there any
    > obvious gotchas that I might have missed?

    If your hardware is fixed to PA-RISC and the N4000, and "stability"
    and "performance" are your primary concerns, then you likely want to
    go with HP-UX. While I don't have concrete examples to give you, my
    understanding is that parisc linux has to do things like disable
    spaceid hashing in the processor data caches, and that can be a
    performance degredation. Also, while the parisc linux port may have
    declared "stable" I think that is meant as in "stable" from an
    engineering rather than production standpoint. They might even say
    something to that effect on their website at parisc-linux.org.

    Also, I suspect, but again have no hard data to confirm, that the
    performance of code generated with gcc for PA-RISC is not as high as
    that from the HP compilers. Running parisc-linux means gcc.

    I am in _no_ way trying to disparage parisc-linux, and perhaps I've
    read too much into your statement about stability and performance
    (particularly in light of it being a "home server"). FWIW, I run
    parisc-linux on netperf.org - but then I wouldn't even begin to
    describe netperf.org as a mission critical sort of application.

    Now, when you are ready to upgrade your home server to Itanium...

    rick jones
    once MPE/XL, once HP-UX, now Linux, always HP
    used to sit across from one of the parisc-linux people