Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23 - HP UX

This is a discussion on Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23 - HP UX ; Hi, I installed a Fast Wide Differential SCSI adapter (A4976A) in my c3700 hp-ux box. But, the driver can't be loaded. What can I do? graphics 0 10/1/5/0 graph3 CLAIMED INTERFACE PCI Display (103c108b) ba 3 10/4 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS ...

  1. Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    Hi,
    I installed a Fast Wide Differential SCSI adapter (A4976A) in my c3700
    hp-ux box. But, the driver can't be loaded. What can I do?

    graphics 0 10/1/5/0 graph3 CLAIMED INTERFACE PCI
    Display (103c108b)
    ba 3 10/4 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local
    PCI Bus Adapter (782)
    unknown -1 10/4/3/0 UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN PCI
    SCSI (1000000f)
    ba 4 10/6 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local
    PCI Bus Adapter (782)
    processor 0 32 processor CLAIMED PROCESSOR
    Processor

  2. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    BL wrote:

    > I installed a Fast Wide Differential SCSI adapter (A4976A) in my c3700
    > hp-ux box. But, the driver can't be loaded. What can I do?

    Load the driver ?-) ISTR the FWD was driven by the c720 driver (? but
    that is a very hazy recollection) so you might go into SAM and see if
    that can be encouraged to add that driver to your kernel. It is
    possible that a "new enough" version of the OS would have drivers that
    would not claim that old an adaptor...

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  3. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    Rick Jones gDG

    > BL wrote:
    >
    > > I installed a Fast Wide Differential SCSI adapter (A4976A) in my c3700
    > > hp-ux box. But, the driver can't be loaded. What can I do?

    > Load the driver ?-) ISTR the FWD was driven by the c720 driver (? but
    > that is a very hazy recollection) so you might go into SAM and see if
    > that can be encouraged to add that driver to your kernel. It is
    > possible that a "new enough" version of the OS would have drivers that
    > would not claim that old an adaptor...
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > The computing industry isn't as much a game of "Follow The Leader" as
    > it is one of "Ring Around the Rosy" or perhaps "Duck Duck Goose."
    > - Rick Jones
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    Hi,
    After I installed the latest patch, the a4976a differential scsi card
    shows unclaimed

    target 2 10/0/15/1.6 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
    disk 1 10/0/15/1.6.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE
    QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_SCA
    target 3 10/0/15/1.7 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
    ctl 1 10/0/15/1.7.0 sctl CLAIMED DEVICE
    Initiator
    ba 2 10/1 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local
    PCI Bus Adapter (782)
    graphics 0 10/1/5/0 graph3 CLAIMED INTERFACE PCI
    Display (103c1005)
    ba 3 10/4 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local
    PCI Bus Adapter (782)
    ext_bus 4 10/4/3/0 c8xx UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN PCI
    SCSI (1000000f)
    ba 4 10/6 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local
    PCI Bus Adapter (782)
    processor 0 32 processor CLAIMED PROCESSOR
    Processor
    memory 0 49 memory CLAIMED MEMORY Memory

  4. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    BL wrote:
    > ext_bus 4 10/4/3/0 c8xx UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN PCI

    ISTR that the c8xx driver came in 11iv1 - aka 11.11 - is that what you
    are running? My fuzzy recollection is that it may not have included
    support for the older FWD SCSI cards. But take that with a few grains
    of salt as I'm much more networking than mass storage

    rick jones

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    well, in this case, maybe it was

    --
    web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...

  5. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    Rick Jones gDG

    > BL wrote:
    > > ext_bus 4 10/4/3/0 c8xx UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN PCI

    > ISTR that the c8xx driver came in 11iv1 - aka 11.11 - is that what you
    > are running? My fuzzy recollection is that it may not have included
    > support for the older FWD SCSI cards. But take that with a few grains
    > of salt as I'm much more networking than mass storage
    >
    > rick jones
    >
    > Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    > Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    > Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    > Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    > Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    > Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)
    >
    > well, in this case, maybe it was
    >
    > --
    > web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    my workstation is running hp-ux 11i v2.

  6. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    BL wrote:
    > my workstation is running hp-ux 11i v2.

    Silly of me - I managed to not notice the subject...

    Anyway, I would not be _at all_ surprised if the c800 driver in 11iv2
    didn't claim the old FWD cards. I think you are basically out of luck
    there. If you have FWD drives you wish to connect to the thing, you
    may need to find san an SE/LVD card that 11iv2 will claim and then
    some enclosure which can convert FWD (HVD) to SE/LVD.

    rick jones
    --
    web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...

  7. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    > Anyway, I would not be _at all_ surprised if the c800 driver in 11iv2
    > didn't claim the old FWD cards. I think you are basically out of luck
    > there. If you have FWD drives you wish to connect to the thing, you
    > may need to find san an SE/LVD card that 11iv2 will claim and then
    > some enclosure which can convert FWD (HVD) to SE/LVD.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    Hi,
    Do you think the HP a4800a card can run on hpux 11iv2?
    http://docs.hp.com/en/A3725-96031/ch...reg_R1002_USEN

  8. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    "BL" writes:

    > Hi,
    > I installed a Fast Wide Differential SCSI adapter (A4976A) in my c3700
    > hp-ux box. But, the driver can't be loaded. What can I do?

    Maybe read my posting from this year regarding a paralan SCSI converter ;-)
    That way we run a FWD-DLT8000 on a rx4620...

    > graphics 0 10/1/5/0 graph3 CLAIMED INTERFACE PCI
    > Display (103c108b)
    > ba 3 10/4 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local
    > PCI Bus Adapter (782)
    > unknown -1 10/4/3/0 UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN PCI
    > SCSI (1000000f)
    > ba 4 10/6 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local
    > PCI Bus Adapter (782)
    > processor 0 32 processor CLAIMED PROCESSOR
    > Processor

  9. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    "BL" writes:

    > Hi,
    > Do you think the HP a4800a card can run on hpux 11iv2?

    I believe it could run, but I know it doesn't! ;-) I've tried whether it would
    work in a PC running Linux, but that card doesn't have a driver...

    > http://docs.hp.com/en/A3725-96031/ch...reg_R1002_USEN

    Ulrich

  10. Re: Fast Wide Differential SCSI and hp-ux 11.23

    Hi,

    Old FWD card are not supported under 11.23
    Possible solution: keep 11.11

    Alain.

+ Reply to Thread