Adding a drive or 2 or 3 to a VA 7110 - HP UX

This is a discussion on Adding a drive or 2 or 3 to a VA 7110 - HP UX ; I am being sent some extra drives for the array. I was told by the former SA that it would take at least 12 hours and cause system drag when 1 drive is added (initialization etc.). Have you found that ...

  1. Adding a drive or 2 or 3 to a VA 7110

    I am being sent some extra drives for the array. I was told by the
    former SA that it would take at least 12 hours and cause system drag
    when 1 drive is added (initialization etc.). Have you found that to be
    true? I am probably going to add at least 3 and I would like some kind
    of verification so I can warn to PHB's.

    Robert

  2. Re: Adding a drive or 2 or 3 to a VA 7110

    "Robert Hicks" writes:

    > I am being sent some extra drives for the array. I was told by the
    > former SA that it would take at least 12 hours and cause system drag
    > when 1 drive is added (initialization etc.). Have you found that to be
    > true? I am probably going to add at least 3 and I would like some kind
    > of verification so I can warn to PHB's.

    HP technicans say you'll have to add one drive, then wait until the array has
    completed rebalancing the data, then add another disk, and so on. From my
    experience, if you add all disks within maybe three seconds, all disks will be
    formatted in parallel, and then balancing is also a great deal faster. And you
    can use the array while it's still balancing. Of course I did not write the
    array firmware; I only watched the controller logs to see what's going on, and
    I made some conclusions how things might work ;-)

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > Robert

  3. Re: Adding a drive or 2 or 3 to a VA 7110

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > "Robert Hicks" writes:
    >
    > > I am being sent some extra drives for the array. I was told by the
    > > former SA that it would take at least 12 hours and cause system drag
    > > when 1 drive is added (initialization etc.). Have you found that to be
    > > true? I am probably going to add at least 3 and I would like some kind
    > > of verification so I can warn to PHB's.

    > HP technicans say you'll have to add one drive, then wait until the array has
    > completed rebalancing the data, then add another disk, and so on. From my
    > experience, if you add all disks within maybe three seconds, all disks will be
    > formatted in parallel, and then balancing is also a great deal faster. And you
    > can use the array while it's still balancing. Of course I did not write the
    > array firmware; I only watched the controller logs to see what's going on, and
    > I made some conclusions how things might work ;-)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

    Thanks, it took me more than 3 seconds because of packaging but I put
    them all in and it worked very nicely.

    Robert

  4. Re: Adding a drive or 2 or 3 to a VA 7110

    "Robert Hicks" writes:

    > Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > > "Robert Hicks" writes:

    [...]
    > Thanks, it took me more than 3 seconds because of packaging but I put
    > them all in and it worked very nicely.

    The trick is to remove the cover from the disk slots, insert the new disk, but
    leave off the final inch. Prepare all disks that way, then be fast ;-)

    > Robert

+ Reply to Thread