Allegro C3600 boot woes, faulty DIMM likely. - HP UX

This is a discussion on Allegro C3600 boot woes, faulty DIMM likely. - HP UX ; OK, so the "announced" Allegro C3600 has finally arrived- has nice two 9GB Seagates, FXE graphics and additional UW SCSI board. When it was sold to me, it was said not to have memory, what was indicated at boot-up ("no ...

  1. Allegro C3600 boot woes, faulty DIMM likely.

    OK, so the "announced" Allegro C3600 has finally arrived- has nice two
    9GB Seagates, FXE graphics and additional UW SCSI board.

    When it was sold to me, it was said not to have memory, what was
    indicated at boot-up ("no memory found" on LCD). I was surprised to
    discover though that there was 1 GB (?) DIMM in wrong socket. After
    moving it to first one, the machine now halts with "dup entry in PDT"-
    which might indicate that the DIMM is in deed faulty (or- how to check
    further?).

    What really bugs me that it doesn't output anything on either graphical
    console, nor serial port. Is that normal?
    I know that my B132L pulls out console pretty late too.

    Rambo

    PS.: the pic of module I found in the machine:
    http://rambo.id.uw.edu.pl/pic.php,al...ry.jpg,big,0,0

  2. Re: Allegro C3600 boot woes, faulty DIMM likely.

    HEEELP! Got two 256 RAM modules and the thing still doesn't fire up.

    When I put any of the DIMMs in socket 0, the machine will complain
    about
    replacing DIMM00, when in 1, DIMM01 (so it sees them, but it does with
    all three I have, two are taken from a working machine).
    When I'm seating them in sockets 2 and on, it will say "no memory
    found".

    I can't get to console neither on graphics nor serial port, too.

    Does that mean the mainboard is damaged? Any solutions are
    appreciated...

    Rambo

  3. Re: Allegro C3600 boot woes, faulty DIMM likely.

    "Rambo" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1164575145.476160.146770@14g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...

    > After
    > moving it to first one, the machine now halts with "dup entry in PDT"-
    > which might indicate that the DIMM is in deed faulty (or- how to check
    > further?).

    If the machine doesn't output anything, the "dup entry in PDT" is on the
    LCD-display ?

    PDT usually is the "Page Deallocation Table" - a list of faulty memory
    pages, which aren't used anymore.
    The PDT itself is in the NVRAM.

    If the PDT is messed, it seems that:
    - the machine at least had some sort of memory problem
    (otherwise it wouldn't have touched the PDT)
    - you seem to be quite out of luck...

    Because the most basic way of resetting the PDT is

    - boot
    - interrupt boot
    - At the prompt enter: "SER" [without the quotes] (Service Menu)

    show PDT
    - "PDT"

    Clear
    - "PDT CLEAR"

    But it seems you don't even come to the point to interrupt the boot ?

    HTH

    Martin

  4. Re: Allegro C3600 boot woes, faulty DIMM likely.

    > But it seems you don't even come to the point to interrupt the boot ?

    Yup, that was the case- but here's some good news though, because I
    accidentally won two machines (the seller of one didn't notice/ignored
    my request to withdraw from bidding- for what I'll be eternally
    thankful to him), I was able to swap the board from the other one-
    and behold: It booted cleanly, with 1.5 GB of RAM. It turns out that
    it's possibly the firmware that is causing the problem in the first
    place: it seems to be version 3.0, my guess is that it might not
    support DIMMs larger than 128 MB. The other one had 5.0- which makes
    clean passes on all modules and after booting PDT is empty.

    Now just HP-UX media, and I'm set- unfortunately the previous owner
    wiped out both disks.

    Rambo

+ Reply to Thread