DAT linux problem - HP UX

This is a discussion on DAT linux problem - HP UX ; I have a problem concerning DAT tape (HP storage works DAT 40) in linux. Dmesg says that DAT is found (Sym0 .....model, speed, type, vendor...). But it doesn't work. If I type: mt -f /dev/nst0 status response is: No such ...

  1. DAT linux problem

    I have a problem concerning DAT tape (HP storage works DAT 40) in
    linux. Dmesg says that DAT is found (Sym0 .....model, speed, type,
    vendor...).

    But it doesn't work.

    If I type:
    mt -f /dev/nst0 status
    response is: No such device or address

    The same thing for st0.

    I have Linux Fedora Core2, with kernel 2.6.11

    Can someone help me?

  2. Re: DAT linux problem

    On 2006-11-24,
    tonino.giallombardo@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a problem concerning DAT tape (HP storage works DAT 40) in
    > linux. Dmesg says that DAT is found (Sym0 .....model, speed, type,

    This being an HP-UX group (not Linux, not HP hardware) I suggest you
    ask elsewhere.

    You could run your mt command under strace and see what you get
    maybe this line among others:
    open("/dev/nst0", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)

    You could think about how your drive is connected, whether you have the
    necessary kernel modules and whether you are using the correct device name.
    I've used HP travan tapes with Linux (floppy interface and parallel-IDE)
    but not recently.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  3. Re: DAT linux problem

    The content of modprobe.conf is:

    alias eth0 e1000
    alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
    install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
    /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
    /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
    alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
    alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
    # Disable direct I/O for st driver
    options st try_direct_io=0
    alias scsi_hostadapter sym53c8xx

    When I type "modinfo st" I read:

    author: Kai Makisara
    license: GPL
    parmtype: buffer_kbs:int
    parm: buffer_kbsefault driver buffer size for fixed block
    mode (KB; 32)
    parmtype: max_sg_segs:int
    parm: max_sg_segs:Maximum number of scatter/gather segments
    to use (256)
    parmtype: try_direct_io:int
    parm: try_direct_io:Try direct I/O between user buffer and
    tape drive (1)
    parmtype: try_rdio:int
    parm: try_rdio:Try direct read i/o when possible
    parmtype: try_wdio:int
    parm: try_wdio:Try direct write i/o when possible
    vermagic: 2.6.11-7.1.CMSsmp SMP 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3
    depends: scsi_mod
    srcversion: 4940B5462EBB554B614894D

    I looked for DAT module by typing "modprobe -l|grep sym" and I found
    /lib/modules/2.6.11-7.1.CMSsmp/kernel/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_2/sym53c8xx.ko.
    So I think that DAT module is present. I typed modprobe st, but it
    still doesn't work.

    Maybe am I forgetting anything?
    Thanks for your help.

  4. Re: DAT linux problem

[...]

  5. Re: DAT linux problem

    As pointed out, this is not a linux NG. comp.os.linux...
    might be a better place.

    Anyways, the device special file could be old/wrong
    (wrong major etc). Rename it to something else and
    try recreating the DSF (using MAKEDEV etc).

    --vishwas

+ Reply to Thread