HP-UX 8 boot failure - missing console device - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX 8 boot failure - missing console device - HP UX ; Hi, I've got an old HP9000 835 which I would like to get going. There is a HP-IB disk which should have HP-UX 8 on it. I can boot that disk, but the kernel panics because it can't initialize the ...

  1. HP-UX 8 boot failure - missing console device

    Hi,

    I've got an old HP9000 835 which I would like to get going.
    There is a HP-IB disk which should have HP-UX 8 on it. I can
    boot that disk, but the kernel panics because it can't
    initialize the console device. That 835 had huge external
    graphics and because of limited space I have removed that
    box. The machine now works with serial console.
    Is there any way to tell the HP-UX kernel to use the MUX as
    console instead of the non-existent graphics?

    Some more questions:
    The 835 has a SCSI controller and upgraded boot proms
    to boot from SCSI. Can it boot from SCSI cdrom or SCSI
    DAT?
    The 9144 HP-IB tape drives don't seem to last long.
    I have three broken drives. Is this a known problem?
    Does anybody still have a caddy for a 600/A HP-IB cdrom?

    gruss,
    Dennis

    --
    Don't suffer from insanity...
    Enjoy every minute of it.

  2. Re: HP-UX 8 boot failure - missing console device

    On 20 Nov 2006 14:14:43 GMT, Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've got an old HP9000 835 which I would like to get going.
    >There is a HP-IB disk which should have HP-UX 8 on it. I can
    >boot that disk, but the kernel panics because it can't
    >initialize the console device. That 835 had huge external
    >graphics and because of limited space I have removed that
    >box. The machine now works with serial console.
    >Is there any way to tell the HP-UX kernel to use the MUX as
    >console instead of the non-existent graphics?
    >
    >Some more questions:
    >The 835 has a SCSI controller and upgraded boot proms
    >to boot from SCSI. Can it boot from SCSI cdrom or SCSI
    >DAT?
    >The 9144 HP-IB tape drives don't seem to last long.
    >I have three broken drives. Is this a known problem?
    >Does anybody still have a caddy for a 600/A HP-IB cdrom?
    >
    >gruss,
    >Dennis
    >
    >--
    >Don't suffer from insanity...
    >Enjoy every minute of it.

    I can't answer your other questions. However, I think the
    9144 tape drives have some rubber parts that deteriorate with
    time. I suspect that may be causing your problems with
    those drives.

    Since the drives are now about 20 years old, keeping them
    going is likely to be very difficult.

    Aidan Grey

  3. Re: HP-UX 8 boot failure - missing console device

    Dennis Grevenstein wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I've got an old HP9000 835 which I would like to get going.
    > There is a HP-IB disk which should have HP-UX 8 on it. I can
    > boot that disk, but the kernel panics because it can't
    > initialize the console device. That 835 had huge external
    > graphics and because of limited space I have removed that
    > box. The machine now works with serial console.
    > Is there any way to tell the HP-UX kernel to use the MUX as
    > console instead of the non-existent graphics?

    IIRC kernels that far back didn't take very well to kit being removed
    without their being told (kernel being regenned). It might be a good
    idea to bring the graphics back online for a while...

    rick jones