SHARE_MAGIC vs. DEMAND_MAGIC - HP UX

This is a discussion on SHARE_MAGIC vs. DEMAND_MAGIC - HP UX ; Can anyone explain the exact behaviour (and differences, if any) of SHARE_MAGIC and DEMAND_MAGIC executables on HP-UX 11iv2 PA-RISC (or point me to a good Web page)? So far, I have only been able to find somewhat confusing information about ...

  1. SHARE_MAGIC vs. DEMAND_MAGIC

    Can anyone explain the exact behaviour (and differences, if any) of
    SHARE_MAGIC and DEMAND_MAGIC executables on HP-UX 11iv2 PA-RISC (or point me
    to a good Web page)?

    So far, I have only been able to find somewhat confusing information about
    this.

    Java Memory Management on HP- UX
    (http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/jav...Management.pdf)
    claims that SHARE_MAGIC is also called DEMAND_MAGIC.

    HP-UX Solaris to HP-UX Porting Guide
    (http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/STKS/SOLARIS.HTM) on the other hand says
    that with SHARE_MAGIC everything is loaded at startup, while with
    DEMAND_MAGIC, pages are loaded as needed.

    Linking Programs on HP-UX (http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90655/ch02s05.html)
    also suggests that there is a difference between SHARE_MAGIC and
    DEMAND_MAGIC.

    But doing some tests on testdrive.hp.com, it appears that text pages are
    only loaded on demand, even for SHARE_MAGIC binaries. My personal guess
    would therefore be that in current HP-UX versions there is no difference
    between SHARE_MAGIC and DEMAND_MAGIC any more (but there probably was in the
    past).

    And can I also assume that 64-bit PA-RISC and IA-64 binaries are always
    loaded (paged in) on demand?

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

  2. Re: SHARE_MAGIC vs. DEMAND_MAGIC

    On 19 Nov 2006, NOSPAM-seeMySig+ur85+@usenet.cmeerw.org wrote:

    > Can anyone explain the exact behaviour (and differences, if any) of
    > SHARE_MAGIC and DEMAND_MAGIC executables on HP-UX 11iv2 PA-RISC (or
    > point me to a good Web page)?
    >
    > So far, I have only been able to find somewhat confusing information
    > about this.
    >
    > Java Memory Management on HP- UX
    > (http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/jav...Management.pdf)
    > claims that SHARE_MAGIC is also called DEMAND_MAGIC.
    >
    > HP-UX Solaris to HP-UX Porting Guide
    > (http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/STKS/SOLARIS.HTM) on the other hand
    > says that with SHARE_MAGIC everything is loaded at startup, while
    > with DEMAND_MAGIC, pages are loaded as needed.
    >
    > Linking Programs on HP-UX
    > (http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90655/ch02s05.html) also suggests that
    > there is a difference between SHARE_MAGIC and DEMAND_MAGIC.
    >
    > But doing some tests on testdrive.hp.com, it appears that text pages
    > are only loaded on demand, even for SHARE_MAGIC binaries. My
    > personal guess would therefore be that in current HP-UX versions
    > there is no difference between SHARE_MAGIC and DEMAND_MAGIC any more
    > (but there probably was in the past).
    >
    > And can I also assume that 64-bit PA-RISC and IA-64 binaries are
    > always loaded (paged in) on demand?
    >

    > Christof

    Christof,

    Despite some documentation to the contrary, there is no difference
    between SHARE_MAGIC and DEMAND_MAGIC on HP-UX 11iv2.

    Regards,
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread