The older thread:

Help With Savecore (HPUX 10.20)

was helpful in solving a problem we just experienced:

I wrote to Martin_Jost@siemens.com

======================= letter to Mr. Jost ======================

We are strugling with the same problem:

savecore: open failed /dev/dsk/c0t10d0: No such device or address

that you discussed in your July 11th 2005 posting on comp.sys.hp.hpux

In our case it is /dev/dsk/c0t6d0

When we replaced the HP 743i processor board with a spare one the
problem went
away.

We do not have a "TOC" switch on our machine.

In your post you suggested to clean up the "Boot Data Reserved Area "
with lvrmboot -v -r
then set the right values with lvlnboot
(-r root -d dump, etc)

then you updated the BDRA with
lvlnboot -v -R

but you did not describe the last step: how to force this info into
NVRAM.

I will try perhaps

/sbin/vme_config -f /etc/vme/xxvme.CFG
This writes to NVRAM.
Will it also by default read the data in the BDRA ?

So this is the question: How to update NVRAM?

Any help is very very welcome.

Stefan Fuma

Mr. Martin Jost was so kind to answer promptly:
but you did not describe the last step: how to force this info into
NVRAM.

I will try perhaps

/sbin/vme_config -f /etc/vme/xxvme.CFG
This writes to NVRAM.
Will it also by default read the data in the BDRA ?

So this is the question: How to update NVRAM?

[Jost, Martin]
Hello,

I only know of "TOCing" the machine. So far all machines I've seen had
a TOC button somewhere, but some where hidden quite well.
BUT I only know workstations not servers. You machine sounds like a
server.
Up until now I've never heard of vme_config.
Have you tried to ask on comp.sys.hp.hpux ?

Martin Jost

November 16th 2006

We fixed our problem:

On the 743i Processor Board:

Holding the "Reset/Abort" spring-back, toggle switch for about one
second in the
"Abort" position had the same effect as the TOC (Transfer of Control)
switch
mentioned in the 07/11/05 posting of Mr. Jost.

A "panic" was caused, and the location of the DUMP was copied into
NVRAM
(or EEPROM or "Stable Storage" or nonvolatile memory; - HP - uses
different names in different documents)
onto the Processor Board.

The error was gone. Checked it at reboot.

Thus "Abort" position on "743i" is same as TOC on other machines, in
matters of
savecore.

3. vme_config is the preferred tool to write to NVRAM

man vme-config

or a google search brings up the manual pages.

Document:

http://docs.hp.com/en/32650-90882/32650-90882.pdf

describes the layout of "Stable Storage" ( I guess it is similar for
743i)
that bytes 160 thru 191 contain "Dump Flag and Device"

but I do not know how to force vme_config to write to that
location in NVRAM on the 743i board.

Executed vme_config with an existing file
but the BRDA ( Boot Reseved Data Area ) was not copied over
to NVRAM. Only the "Abort" trick did it.

Has anybody succeeeded in resetting the 743i Processor Board
NVRAM to default factory values, or to place in file vme.CFG
the values for the dump device? ?

Any other HP single board Processor?

Please share your experience, advize....!

Many Thanks,
Stefan Fuma