NIS Problems - HP UX

This is a discussion on NIS Problems - HP UX ; Hi, I have inherited some HP-UX 11.0 systems that were left in terrible disarray. These systems are running NIS and/or NIS+, and I have no experience with these products, unfortunately. My immediate problem is that I need to gain access ...

  1. NIS Problems

    Hi, I have inherited some HP-UX 11.0 systems that were left in terrible
    disarray. These systems are running NIS and/or NIS+, and I have no
    experience with these products, unfortunately. My immediate problem is
    that I need to gain access to the data in the passwd.org_dir file. When
    I try doing "niscat passwd.org_dir" while logged in as root with my
    current directory set to passwd.org_dir's parent directory, niscat just
    hangs. It gives no output, and it never returns. I have to hit ctrl-c to
    get out. Can someone please give me some hints as to what I need to do
    to get this to work? Thanks!

  2. Re: NIS Problems

    Hi Barry,
    Probably the NIS+ server is not running. If you are root,
    you can try the following commands to restart NIS+ and try to access
    the passwd.org_dir file again

    1. Check if the /etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs file has the following
    variables set to 1
    NISPLUS_SERVER=1
    NISPLUS_CLIENT=1

    2. Then restart Nisplus Server and Client as follows:

    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client stop
    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server stop
    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server start
    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client start

    Hope this helps.
    Vaibhav

    Barry Lake wrote:
    > Hi, I have inherited some HP-UX 11.0 systems that were left in terrible
    > disarray. These systems are running NIS and/or NIS+, and I have no
    > experience with these products, unfortunately. My immediate problem is
    > that I need to gain access to the data in the passwd.org_dir file. When
    > I try doing "niscat passwd.org_dir" while logged in as root with my
    > current directory set to passwd.org_dir's parent directory, niscat just
    > hangs. It gives no output, and it never returns. I have to hit ctrl-c to
    > get out. Can someone please give me some hints as to what I need to do
    > to get this to work? Thanks!

  3. Re: NIS Problems

    Hello Vaibhav, thanks so much for your reply.

    Here's what I found, all of this done as root:

    1) On one of the three servers the NIS_DOMAIN setting in the
    /etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs config file was different from the other two.
    I fixed that so all three servers have the same NIS_DOMAIN.

    2) On all three servers I confirmed that the namesvrs config file has

    NIS_MASTER_SERVER=0
    NIS_SLAVE_SERVER=0
    NIS_CLIENT=0
    NISPLUS_SERVER=1
    NISPLUS_CLIENT=1

    3) ps -ef on each of the three servers showed a different set of demons
    running. One had rpc.nispasswdd, another had rpc.nisd and the third had
    nis_cachemgr. Also a couple of them had keyserv.

    4) On all three servers I stopped the demons with

    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client stop
    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server stop

    5) On all three servers I started the demons with

    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server start
    # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client start

    6) On one of the three servers ps -ef shows:

    # ps -ef | grep nis
    root 23889 1 210 15:01:40 ? 10:03 /usr/sbin/nis_cachemgr
    root 23852 1 20 15:00:26 ? 1:52 /usr/sbin/rpc.nisd

    On another I see:

    # ps -ef | grep nis
    root 20418 1 205 14:52:03 ? 9:55 /usr/sbin/nis_cachemgr
    root 20387 1 0 14:51:01 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.nispasswdd
    root 20382 1 101 14:51:01 ? 7:28 /usr/sbin/rpc.nisd

    On the third server ps -ef hangs now (didn't before) and never returns
    without ctrl-c. Incidentally, that's the same server where I changed the
    NIS_DOMAIN to match the other two.

    7) On all three servers "niscat passwd.org_dir" still hangs.

    Any more suggestions?

    TIA,
    Barry.

    In article <1163498800.297392.228810@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    "air_castle" wrote:

    > Hi Barry,
    > Probably the NIS+ server is not running. If you are root,
    > you can try the following commands to restart NIS+ and try to access
    > the passwd.org_dir file again
    >
    > 1. Check if the /etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs file has the following
    > variables set to 1
    > NISPLUS_SERVER=1
    > NISPLUS_CLIENT=1
    >
    > 2. Then restart Nisplus Server and Client as follows:
    >
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client stop
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server stop
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server start
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client start
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    > Vaibhav

  4. Re: NIS Problems

    For the record, I did finally manage to gain access to the data in the
    passwd.org_dir file by adjusting the /etc/nsswitch.conf file. It
    originally had records in it like:

    passwd: files
    group: files
    hosts: files
    services: files

    I changed it to look like:

    passwd: files nisplus
    group: files nisplus
    hosts: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
    services: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

    Then I stopped and started the NIS+ servers again, and voila, niscat now
    works, and doesn't hang!

    Thanks again to Vaibhav, whose excellent suggestions got me started.

    Regards,
    Barry.

    In article ,
    Barry Lake wrote:

    > I fixed that so all three servers have the same NIS_DOMAIN.
    >
    > 2) On all three servers I confirmed that the namesvrs config file has
    >
    > NIS_MASTER_SERVER=0
    > NIS_SLAVE_SERVER=0
    > NIS_CLIENT=0
    > NISPLUS_SERVER=1
    > NISPLUS_CLIENT=1

    > 4) On all three servers I stopped the demons with
    >
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client stop
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server stop
    >
    > 5) On all three servers I started the demons with
    >
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.server start
    > # /sbin/init.d/nisplus.client start

    > 7) On all three servers "niscat passwd.org_dir" still hangs.

+ Reply to Thread