HP-UX "mksysb" ? - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX "mksysb" ? - HP UX ; hello group, I know this has been asked several times before, and I've tried to follow the recommended procedures for my 712 running 10.20 (Dec 1999): booted from a Support+ CD (Sep 2001) ISL> ODE ODE> COPYUTIL but the scan ...

  1. HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    hello group,

    I know this has been asked several times before,
    and I've tried to follow the recommended procedures
    for my 712 running 10.20 (Dec 1999):

    booted from a Support+ CD (Sep 2001)
    ISL> ODE
    ODE> COPYUTIL

    but the scan didn't find any devices,
    although disk, CD and DDS tape were online,
    and have worked with that version of HP-UX
    before. Is Copyutil extra picky as far
    as those devices are concerned ?
    At least it should recognize the HP-UX
    hard disk, shouldn't it ?
    Not sure about the tape, though,
    "it's a Sony" DDS-3.

    TIA,
    MK

  2. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > hello group,
    >
    > I know this has been asked several times before,
    > and I've tried to follow the recommended procedures
    > for my 712 running 10.20 (Dec 1999):
    >
    > booted from a Support+ CD (Sep 2001)
    > ISL> ODE
    > ODE> COPYUTIL
    >
    > but the scan didn't find any devices,
    > although disk, CD and DDS tape were online,
    > and have worked with that version of HP-UX
    > before. Is Copyutil extra picky as far
    > as those devices are concerned ?
    > At least it should recognize the HP-UX
    > hard disk, shouldn't it ?
    > Not sure about the tape, though,
    > "it's a Sony" DDS-3.
    >
    > TIA,
    > MK

    Michael,

    What do you want to do with it? mksysb is a tool to make a bootable tape
    or other media is not it?

    For that you need the Ignite depot for 10.20 installed on HP-UX.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:42:23 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:

    >Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >> hello group,
    >>
    >> I know this has been asked several times before,
    >> and I've tried to follow the recommended procedures
    >> for my 712 running 10.20 (Dec 1999):
    >>
    >> booted from a Support+ CD (Sep 2001)
    >> ISL> ODE
    >> ODE> COPYUTIL
    >>
    >> but the scan didn't find any devices,
    >> although disk, CD and DDS tape were online,
    >> and have worked with that version of HP-UX
    >> before. Is Copyutil extra picky as far
    >> as those devices are concerned ?
    >> At least it should recognize the HP-UX
    >> hard disk, shouldn't it ?
    >> Not sure about the tape, though,
    >> "it's a Sony" DDS-3.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> MK
    >>

    >Michael,
    >

    >What do you want to do with it? mksysb is a tool to make a bootable tape
    >or other media is not it?
    >
    >For that you need the Ignite depot for 10.20 installed on HP-UX.
    >

    >Kind regards,
    >

    >Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    As the previous poster said, to create a disaster recovery image of
    the root volume group use Ignite-UX. The old way was with ODE.

    Ignite-UX may be downloaded for free from http://software.hp.com
    (search on "ignite").

    Once you install Ignite-UX a bootable recovery image may be created on
    tape with the make_tape_recovery command.

    e.g.

    # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00

    Ignite-UX has many other capabilities, but that's the simplest to get
    started with.

    Happy Trails,
    Eric Stahl

  4. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra schrieb:
    > Michael,

    hello,

    > What do you want to do with it? mksysb is a tool to make a bootable tape

    I spent many hours to install, configure and customize that box,
    so I finally want to save the result of my work,
    so that I can perform a 1:1 recovery should the disk crash.
    On AIX, mksysb gives me exactly what I want.

    > or other media is not it?
    >
    > For that you need the Ignite depot for 10.20 installed on HP-UX.

    OK, but a with a quick search I couldn't locate this software.

    > Kind regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    thanks,
    MK

  5. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    Eric Stahl schrieb:

    > As the previous poster said, to create a disaster recovery image of
    > the root volume group use Ignite-UX. The old way was with ODE.
    >
    > Ignite-UX may be downloaded for free from http://software.hp.com
    > (search on "ignite").

    but it seems to be available only for HP-UX >= 11,
    not for 10.20.
    I have a 11.0 CD with "Ignite" on its label,
    but not for 10.20. Or is it hidden on the "Support" CD ?

    > Once you install Ignite-UX a bootable recovery image may be created on
    > tape with the make_tape_recovery command.
    >
    > e.g.
    >
    > # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00
    >
    > Ignite-UX has many other capabilities, but that's the simplest to get
    > started with.
    >
    > Happy Trails,
    > Eric Stahl

    thanks,
    MK

  6. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Eric Stahl schrieb:
    >

    >> As the previous poster said, to create a disaster recovery image of
    >> the root volume group use Ignite-UX. The old way was with ODE.
    >>
    >> Ignite-UX may be downloaded for free from http://software.hp.com
    >> (search on "ignite").

    > but it seems to be available only for HP-UX >= 11,
    > not for 10.20.
    > I have a 11.0 CD with "Ignite" on its label,
    > but not for 10.20. Or is it hidden on the "Support" CD ?
    >
    >> Once you install Ignite-UX a bootable recovery image may be created on
    >> tape with the make_tape_recovery command.
    >>
    >> e.g.
    >>
    >> # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00
    >>
    >> Ignite-UX has many other capabilities, but that's the simplest to get
    >> started with.
    >>
    >> Happy Trails, Eric Stahl
    >>

    > thanks,
    > MK

    Miachael,

    Unfortunately 10.20 is dead, I found on Google a reference that it
    should be on an Application CD.

    I do not have 10.20 available anymore, so cannot check it for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  7. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra schrieb:

    > Miachael,
    >
    > Unfortunately 10.20 is dead,

    well, I run it in "museum" mode over here :-)

    > I found on Google a reference that it
    > should be on an Application CD.

    I have some app CDs as well, but never looked at them
    in detail since they are codeword secured and of
    course I don't have one. Maybe I should give it a try.

    > I do not have 10.20 available anymore, so cannot check it for you.

    Filewatcher was my friend, so I found some forgotten 10.20 archive at

    ftp://hpat951.external.hp.com/pub2/s.../wk165/wk165en

    but it is a large tar file and I'm not sure if it is a good
    idea to just unpack it.

  8. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:44:49 +0100, Michael Kraemer
    wrote:

    >Jan Gerrit Kootstra schrieb:
    >>>

    >> Miachael,
    >>
    >> Unfortunately 10.20 is dead,

    >well, I run it in "museum" mode over here :-)
    >
    >> I found on Google a reference that it
    >> should be on an Application CD.

    >I have some app CDs as well, but never looked at them
    >in detail since they are codeword secured and of
    >course I don't have one. Maybe I should give it a try.
    >
    >> I do not have 10.20 available anymore, so cannot check it for you.
    >>

    >Filewatcher was my friend, so I found some forgotten 10.20 archive at
    >
    >ftp://hpat951.external.hp.com/pub2/s.../wk165/wk165en
    >
    >but it is a large tar file and I'm not sure if it is a good
    >idea to just unpack it.

    I've not checked in a while to see if the 10.20 Ignite is still at
    software.hp.com - but thinking about it now - it's probably not. I
    know that the 11x versions support 10x clients - though that doesn't
    help in your current circumstances.

    Ignite-UX on the application CD's should not be code word protected.

    Eric

  9. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    Eric Stahl schrieb:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:44:49 +0100, Michael Kraemer
    > wrote:

    > I've not checked in a while to see if the 10.20 Ignite is still at
    > software.hp.com - but thinking about it now - it's probably not.

    It's not. Only 11.x.

    > know that the 11x versions support 10x clients - though that doesn't
    > help in your current circumstances.
    >
    > Ignite-UX on the application CD's should not be code word protected.

    Good idea. It's on the App CD #3, unprotected, installed w/o problems,
    great !
    Now I can run make_tape_recovery, but it seems it stores only
    a couple of files. For a complete backup, would

    make_tape_recovery -I -x inc_entire vg00

    be the better choice ?

    > Eric

    thanks to all,
    MK

  10. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:15:07 +0100, Michael Kraemer
    wrote:

    >Eric Stahl schrieb:
    >> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:44:49 +0100, Michael Kraemer
    >> wrote:

    >> I've not checked in a while to see if the 10.20 Ignite is still at
    >> software.hp.com - but thinking about it now - it's probably not.

    >It's not. Only 11.x.

    >> know that the 11x versions support 10x clients - though that doesn't
    >> help in your current circumstances.
    >>
    >> Ignite-UX on the application CD's should not be code word protected.

    >Good idea. It's on the App CD #3, unprotected, installed w/o problems,
    >great !
    >Now I can run make_tape_recovery, but it seems it stores only
    >a couple of files. For a complete backup, would
    >
    >make_tape_recovery -I -x inc_entire vg00
    >
    >be the better choice ?
    >
    >> Eric

    >thanks to all,
    >MK

    Use the "-x inc_entire=vg00" to get the entire root volume group
    (assuming the default vg00 name).

    If the "-x inc_entire=vg00" is left out then only a subset of the root
    volume group will be archived to tape (as defined by the
    mnr_essentials file i.e. only the files that are essential to boot and
    recover a system).

    The "-I" is only used if you want to force interactive mode when
    recovering from the tape back to the system. That's not usually used.
    The interactive mode will occur automatically for some recovery
    operations such when Ignite see's that it's recovering to a different
    system than where the archive was created.

    So the complete command would be:

    # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00

    Eric

  11. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:32:04 +0000, Eric Stahl wrote:

    > So the complete command would be:
    >
    > # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00

    I like -A better

    -A Based on the files that are specified for inclusion, this
    option identifies the disk(s) and/or volume group(s) that
    contain these specified files and includes all files from
    the disk(s)/vg(s) in the archive.

    That way you aren't making an assumption about what VG the files are on.

    JohnK

  12. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    In article , JohnK
    writes:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:32:04 +0000, Eric Stahl wrote:
    >

    > > So the complete command would be:
    > >
    > > # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00
    > >

    > I like -A better
    >
    > -A Based on the files that are specified for inclusion, this
    > option identifies the disk(s) and/or volume group(s) that
    > contain these specified files and includes all files from
    > the disk(s)/vg(s) in the archive.
    >
    > That way you aren't making an assumption about what VG the files are on.
    >
    > JohnK

    well, my 712 can only hold one VG, so this is a non-issue :-)
    OTOH, the -I option seems (!) to allow system cloning to another box
    with a different hostname/IP address, although I haven't tried that yet.

  13. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:04:48 +0000 (UTC), m.kraemer@gsi.de (Michael
    Kraemer) wrote:

    >In article , JohnK
    > writes:
    >> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:32:04 +0000, Eric Stahl wrote:
    >>

    >> > So the complete command would be:
    >> >
    >> > # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00
    >> >

    >> I like -A better
    >>
    >> -A Based on the files that are specified for inclusion, this
    >> option identifies the disk(s) and/or volume group(s) that
    >> contain these specified files and includes all files from
    >> the disk(s)/vg(s) in the archive.
    >>
    >> That way you aren't making an assumption about what VG the files are on.
    >>
    >> JohnK

    >well, my 712 can only hold one VG, so this is a non-issue :-)
    >OTOH, the -I option seems (!) to allow system cloning to another box
    >with a different hostname/IP address, although I haven't tried that yet.

    The -I is not a requirement for cloning. make_*_recovery commands are
    often used in cloning operations. Just remember that the more
    differences between source and target systems, the more potential for
    problems.

    Eric

  14. Re: HP-UX "mksysb" ?

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:50:35 +0000, JohnK
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:32:04 +0000, Eric Stahl wrote:
    >

    >> So the complete command would be:
    >>
    >> # make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00
    >>

    >I like -A better
    >
    > -A Based on the files that are specified for inclusion, this
    > option identifies the disk(s) and/or volume group(s) that
    > contain these specified files and includes all files from
    > the disk(s)/vg(s) in the archive.
    >
    >That way you aren't making an assumption about what VG the files are on.
    >
    >JohnK

    When something's specified for inclusion then it doesn't matter where
    it's at, it's just included with no assumptions. With the -A, along
    with what you specify for inclusion, if it's in another volume group
    then you may also get all of it's brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles,
    cousins, neighbors, cows, chickens, pigs, dogs, cats, goats ... :-)

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread