Problems while mounting logical volume - HP UX

This is a discussion on Problems while mounting logical volume - HP UX ; Hi at all, I have a strange problem on a HP Itanium. Suddenly I could not mount logical volumes any more. So, after a reboot the system didn't boot up proper. However, I could not mount the logical volumes for ...

  1. Problems while mounting logical volume

    Hi at all,

    I have a strange problem on a HP Itanium. Suddenly I could not mount
    logical volumes any more. So, after a reboot the system didn't boot up
    proper.
    However, I could not mount the logical volumes for /usr, /var, /opt. I
    restarted the machine and bring it up into single user mode. Then I
    tried to mount the volumes by hand, but mount /usr only took nearly 5
    minutes and gave me the message "file system table may be corrupt".
    fsck didn't find any file system failures.

    So I tried to mount the volumes with mount -F vxfs /dev/vg00/lvol8
    /usr. To my surprise this worked.
    Also a mount with the same mount options like defined in fstab worked
    fine.

    However, I thought about a defect on the hard disk, and ran a dd
    if=/dev/dsk/c3t5d0 of=/dev/null bs=1024, which passed without failures.

    And now I don't have any idea what to do next. Hope someone of you
    could give me a tip.

    Thanks in advance

    --
    Regards

    Chris

  2. Re: Problems while mounting logical volume

    "Christoph Glaubitz" wrote in message
    news:1163164811.448755.235940@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi at all,
    >
    > I have a strange problem on a HP Itanium. Suddenly I could not mount
    > logical volumes any more. So, after a reboot the system didn't boot up
    > proper.
    > However, I could not mount the logical volumes for /usr, /var, /opt. I
    > restarted the machine and bring it up into single user mode. Then I
    > tried to mount the volumes by hand, but mount /usr only took nearly 5
    > minutes and gave me the message "file system table may be corrupt".
    > fsck didn't find any file system failures.
    >
    > So I tried to mount the volumes with mount -F vxfs /dev/vg00/lvol8
    > /usr. To my surprise this worked.
    > Also a mount with the same mount options like defined in fstab worked
    > fine.
    >
    > However, I thought about a defect on the hard disk, and ran a dd
    > if=/dev/dsk/c3t5d0 of=/dev/null bs=1024, which passed without failures.
    >
    > And now I don't have any idea what to do next. Hope someone of you
    > could give me a tip.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Chris

    IIRC there is a -o full option to fsck. Check that out and let
    the full fsck program run against the volumes in question.

    It's suspicious that the manual mount worked and mount on bootup
    didn't. What's in /etc/default/fs ? Should be LOCAL=vxfs.

    Good Luck,
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread