HP-UX Makefile doubt - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX Makefile doubt - HP UX ; Hello Group, I am new to this group. I have a basic question. I searched the web and I was not able to find any useful answers. I built a pice of software in one server(HP-UX) with Purify installed and ...

  1. HP-UX Makefile doubt

    Hello Group,

    I am new to this group. I have a basic question. I searched the web and
    I was not able to find any useful answers. I built a pice of software
    in one server(HP-UX) with Purify installed and it was successful. I
    tried to build the same software in another server which is meant to be
    the replica of the previous server, and the build failed. I am using
    HP-UX 11i and the build fails with the following error:

    Error: cannot find purify.h

    We have installed purify in the server. The Makefile specifies the
    PURIFYHOME as /opt/pure/purify.

    There is another variable, in the Makefile, called -DNO_PURIFY which is
    used with CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS. The line is as follows

    CXXFLAGS+=-I. -I../../incl -I../core \
    -DNO_LIBTT -DOS_NEW_CHECK -DOS_STL_ASSERT -DOS_NO_WSTRING
    -DOS_NO_ALLOCATORS \
    -DOS_INIT_PAGE_SIZE=128 -DNO_QUANTIFY -DNO_PURIFY -DTEST_BODGE -DDEBUG
    \
    -DUSE_IOSTREAM

    CFLAGS+=-I. -I../../incl -I../core -I../fsdl0 -I../fsdl1 -I../fsdl2
    -I../ise \
    -DNO_QUANTIFY -DNO_PURIFY -DTEST_BODGE -DDEBUG -DUSE_IOSTREAM -D__ESQL

    I dont understand the variable -DNO_PURIFY, as i cant find the value of
    it. I am not able to find the exact variable used for -DNO_PURIFY.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Best Regards
    Shan

  2. Re: HP-UX Makefile doubt

    shan_rish@yahoo.com writes:

    > I built a pice of software
    > in one server(HP-UX) with Purify installed and it was successful. I
    > tried to build the same software in another server which is meant to be
    > the replica of the previous server, and the build failed.

    In that case, either the build environment on the second server is
    different, or the second server is not an exact replica.

    > Error: cannot find purify.h

    What part of that error don't you understand?

    > We have installed purify in the server. The Makefile specifies the
    > PURIFYHOME as /opt/pure/purify.

    Is that were purify is installed on the second server?

    > There is another variable, in the Makefile, called -DNO_PURIFY which is
    > used with CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS. The line is as follows

    The CXXFLAGS is indeed a (make) variable. The '-DNO_PURIFY' is *not*
    a variable; it's a *value*.

    > I dont understand the variable -DNO_PURIFY, as i cant find the value of
    > it.

    It doesn't have a value, it *is* a value.

    The meaning of that value is probably to not use purify.

    However, since your build failed, your code doesn't use that
    setting correctly. What you probably want to do is:

    grep -l '#include .*purify\.h' *.cpp

    Then examine all files that grep above gives you, and make sure
    that all instances of '#include "purify.h"' are conditional:

    #ifndef NO_PURIFY
    # include "purify.h"
    #endif

    Alternatively, install purify on the second server, or at least copy
    its purify.h header into the same place as it is on the first one.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: HP-UX Makefile doubt

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > The CXXFLAGS is indeed a (make) variable. The '-DNO_PURIFY' is *not*
    > a variable; it's a *value*.

    Thanks for the clarification.
    I will try out your ideas. Thanks again

    > Cheers,

    Regards
    Shan

  4. Re: HP-UX Makefile doubt

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > The CXXFLAGS is indeed a (make) variable. The '-DNO_PURIFY' is *not*
    > a variable; it's a *value*.

    Thanks for the clarification.
    I will try out your ideas. Thanks again

    > Cheers,