bdf > toto - HP UX

This is a discussion on bdf > toto - HP UX ; Hi, It is a newbie general question. I want to redirect the result of bdf in a file. I tried this. [%] echo $SHELL ksh [%] bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf 2>toto My Pb is ...

  1. bdf > toto

    Hi,
    It is a newbie general question. I want to redirect the result of bdf in a
    file.

    I tried this.
    [%] echo $SHELL
    ksh
    [%] bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf 2>toto

    My Pb is that size of toto is always 0
    Why ? How to redirect bdf output into toto file ?
    Thanks

  2. Re: bdf > toto

    On 2006-11-07, YAB wrote:

    > [%] bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf 2>toto
    >
    > My Pb is that size of toto is always 0
    > Why ? How to redirect bdf output into toto file ?

    Did you see 100% anywhere in the bdf output?

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  3. Re: bdf > toto

    Your last command is redirecting bdf's standard error output to toto.
    Assuming bdf is running properly there will be no errors output to toto,
    hence a zero length file:

    % bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf 2> toto
    Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
    /dev/vg00/lvol3 311296 142968 167048 46% /
    ....etc
    Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
    /dev/vg00/lvol3 311296 142968 167048 46% /
    ....etc

    % ll toto
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 marsdenj usr 0 Nov 8 17:31 toto

    Check each of your commands separately:

    % bdf > toto
    % ll toto
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 marsdenj usr 2261 Nov 8 17:31 toto

    % bdf | tee toto
    Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
    /dev/vg00/lvol3 311296 142968 167048 46% /
    ....etc
    % ll toto
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 marsdenj usr 2261 Nov 8 17:32 toto

    % bdf 2> toto
    Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
    /dev/vg00/lvol3 311296 142968 167048 46% /
    ....etc

    % ll toto
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 marsdenj usr 0 Nov 8 17:32 toto

    YAB wrote:
    > Hi,
    > It is a newbie general question. I want to redirect the result of bdf in a
    > file.
    >
    > I tried this.
    > [%] echo $SHELL
    > ksh
    > [%] bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf 2>toto
    >
    > My Pb is that size of toto is always 0
    > Why ? How to redirect bdf output into toto file ?
    > Thanks

  4. Re: bdf > toto

    "YAB" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >It is a newbie general question. I want to redirect the result of bdf in a
    >file.
    >
    >I tried this.
    >[%] echo $SHELL
    > ksh
    >[%] bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf 2>toto
    >
    >My Pb is that size of toto is always 0
    >Why ? How to redirect bdf output into toto file ?
    >Thanks

    Is your command line really "bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf
    2>toto"?

    If so you are running 3 commands 1one after the other, each writing a
    new version of toto.

    bdf > toto writes the bdf output to toto

    bdf|tee toto writes the bdf output to the screen and toto, replaceing
    the previous bdf output

    bdf 2>toto writes any error messages (usually none) from the bdf
    command into toto, replaceing any previous contents

    Try the commands 1 at a time.

    Regards,

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  5. Re: bdf > toto

    Of course, I've executed commands seperatly and after each command I've run
    ls -l
    bdf => gives a correct standard output
    bdf > toto => then ls -l toto prints 0
    and so on for other commands (bdf | tee toto).

    All your answers confirm that there is no syntax error with my command.
    I'll try with >> and with tee -a
    I'll check also if there is a quota limit with my account.

    Many thanks for your answers.

    "Ted Linnell" a écrit dans le message de
    > "YAB" wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >It is a newbie general question. I want to redirect the result of bdf in

    > >file.
    > >
    > >I tried this.
    > >[%] echo $SHELL
    > > ksh
    > >[%] bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf 2>toto
    > >
    > >My Pb is that size of toto is always 0
    > >Why ? How to redirect bdf output into toto file ?
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > Is your command line really "bdf > toto ; bdf | tee toto ; bdf
    > 2>toto"?
    >
    > If so you are running 3 commands 1one after the other, each writing a
    > new version of toto.
    >
    > bdf > toto writes the bdf output to toto
    >
    > bdf|tee toto writes the bdf output to the screen and toto, replaceing
    > the previous bdf output
    >
    > bdf 2>toto writes any error messages (usually none) from the bdf
    > command into toto, replaceing any previous contents
    >
    > Try the commands 1 at a time.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ted.
    > | Ted Linnell |