cutover checklist - HP UX

This is a discussion on cutover checklist - HP UX ; Hello, everyone.. This month, my company will cutover from HP PA-RISC K-series servers running HP-UX 11.0B to HP Itanium Integrity servers running HP-UX 11.23.. I have to put together a cutover checklist by the end of this week that includes ...

  1. cutover checklist

    Hello, everyone.. This month, my company will cutover from HP
    PA-RISC K-series servers running HP-UX 11.0B to HP Itanium Integrity
    servers running HP-UX 11.23.. I have to put together a cutover
    checklist by the end of this week that includes but is not limited to,
    monthly maintenance activities, OS commands and utilities, scripts,
    backups.. I was wondering if anyone has ever been through a similar
    hardware/software upgrade and had put a checklist of specific items
    together in preparation for cutover.. By cutover list, I mean a
    series of O/S benchmarks or tasks to perform whose result I can check
    and verify after the cutover is complete that will confirm that that
    the cutover is successful.. I'm having a hard time with this as I am
    a very junior Sys Admin.. Thanks.. George

  2. Re: cutover checklist

    gbruner@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello, everyone.. This month, my company will cutover from HP
    > PA-RISC K-series servers running HP-UX 11.0B to HP Itanium Integrity
    > servers running HP-UX 11.23.. I have to put together a cutover
    > checklist by the end of this week that includes but is not limited to,
    > monthly maintenance activities, OS commands and utilities, scripts,
    > backups.. I was wondering if anyone has ever been through a similar
    > hardware/software upgrade and had put a checklist of specific items
    > together in preparation for cutover.. By cutover list, I mean a
    > series of O/S benchmarks or tasks to perform whose result I can check
    > and verify after the cutover is complete that will confirm that that
    > the cutover is successful.. I'm having a hard time with this as I am
    > a very junior Sys Admin.. Thanks.. George

    I'm just starting on a project of what to check before starting such a
    cutover. I think checking after the move is the easy part. You know
    the applications run by each host so call the app group and have
    them test each one. If the application layer works, enough of the rest
    works that you can debug the details at liesure.

    I'm thinking about standards before starting. What patch bundles
    should have been applied? I can go with the Oracle recommendations
    on database boxes, but should I use the recommendations from the
    vendor of every single application? Seems like a lot of duplicate
    work. Plus security settings, group accounts and so on.

+ Reply to Thread