HP-UX / VUE trouble - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX / VUE trouble - HP UX ; hello group, I have a problem with an HP-UX 9.10 installation (yes, I know it's old, but since there's no modern version for a 9000/425e ... :-) "Suddenly" I'm no longer able to log into the system via VUE, it ...

  1. HP-UX / VUE trouble

    hello group,

    I have a problem with an HP-UX 9.10 installation
    (yes, I know it's old, but since there's no modern
    version for a 9000/425e ... :-)

    "Suddenly" I'm no longer able to log into the system
    via VUE, it keeps telling me that the
    messaging system cannot be started.
    VUE lite works, but, strange enough, Failsafe doesn't.
    Error log tells me, that the hostname is invalid.
    This points to some network problem,
    but network resolution and telnet works in either direction.
    I followed the suggestions in the FAQ and earlier posts etc,
    to no avail.
    Any further ideas ?
    If memory serves me right, the problem arose
    after a kernel rebuild, which was forced by the
    integration of a tape drive.
    So I suspect the rebuild spoiled some config
    file, but I'm unable to find out which one,
    everything seems OK.

    TIA,
    MK

  2. Re: HP-UX / VUE trouble

    In article , Michael Kraemer writes:
    |> hello group,
    |>
    |> I have a problem with an HP-UX 9.10 installation
    |> (yes, I know it's old, but since there's no modern
    |> version for a 9000/425e ... :-)

    And it is year 2000 compliant...

    |> "Suddenly" I'm no longer able to log into the system
    |> via VUE, it keeps telling me that the
    |> messaging system cannot be started.

    [snip]

    I have seen similar problems after changing the configuration on some
    series 300 with hpux 9.10. Strange enough, after some retries VUE login
    worked until the next reboot. I got rid of the problems by
    making sure that:

    1. The correct hostname is in /etc/src.sh.
    2. /etc/hosts is searched before the nameserver.
    3. /etc/hosts contains the full hostname and the hostname without
    domain as alias. It should contain the name of the default
    gateway and the definition of localhost (127.0.0.1) as well.
    4. The parameters to ifconfig and /etc/route are correct in
    /etc/netlinkrc.
    5. The file /usr/adm/inetd.sec should contain at least the lines

    spc allow 127.0.0.1 unknown mysystemname mysystemname.domain localhost
    mserve allow 127.0.0.1 unknown mysystemname mysystemname.domain localhost

    I seem to remember that the appearance of "unknown" was important
    in spc and mserve allow. mysystemname should be replaced by the
    current system name.

    However I do not remember which of the points above really cured the
    problem. But after making sure that the points above were observed,
    I never had a problem again when I was cloning a system.

    Klaus Graf.

    BTW, do you still have problems with your 382 controller? In the default
    configuration it should select the first (1H) system for automatic boot
    if you do not touch keyboard or mouse while it is in system search mode.
    If this is not the case I can search for the information how to reset
    the bootrom.

  3. Re: HP-UX / VUE trouble

    > I have a problem with an HP-UX 9.10 installation
    > (yes, I know it's old, but since there's no modern
    > version for a 9000/425e ... :-)

    Nice machine :-)

    I had a similar problem once when I changed a hostname. Be sure to use
    the set_parms set of scripts if you change this or the network settings.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

  4. Re: HP-UX / VUE trouble

    Klaus Graf schrieb:

    > I have seen similar problems after changing the configuration on some
    > series 300 with hpux 9.10. Strange enough, after some retries VUE login
    > worked until the next reboot. I got rid of the problems by
    > making sure that:
    >
    > 1. The correct hostname is in /etc/src.sh.
    > 2. /etc/hosts is searched before the nameserver.
    > 3. /etc/hosts contains the full hostname and the hostname without
    > domain as alias. It should contain the name of the default
    > gateway and the definition of localhost (127.0.0.1) as well.
    > 4. The parameters to ifconfig and /etc/route are correct in
    > /etc/netlinkrc.
    > 5. The file /usr/adm/inetd.sec should contain at least the lines
    >
    > spc allow 127.0.0.1 unknown mysystemname mysystemname.domain localhost
    > mserve allow 127.0.0.1 unknown mysystemname mysystemname.domain localhost
    >
    > I seem to remember that the appearance of "unknown" was important
    > in spc and mserve allow. mysystemname should be replaced by the
    > current system name.
    >
    > However I do not remember which of the points above really cured the
    > problem. But after making sure that the points above were observed,
    > I never had a problem again when I was cloning a system.

    thanks,
    I've tried all that, I even copied the respective files
    from a properly working 425t and just changed the host name,
    to no avail. There must be something secret going on ... :-(
    Then I retried VUE login several times,
    and now the console keeps telling me:

    file: table is full

    maybe that indicates some related problem ?

    > Klaus Graf.
    >
    > BTW, do you still have problems with your 382 controller?

    no, that's not me, but the OP.

  5. Re: HP-UX / VUE trouble

    In article , Michael Kraemer writes:

    [problems with series 400, VUE and hpux 9.10]

    |> thanks,
    |> I've tried all that, I even copied the respective files
    |> from a properly working 425t and just changed the host name,
    |> to no avail. There must be something secret going on ... :-(
    |> Then I retried VUE login several times,
    |> and now the console keeps telling me:
    |>
    |> file: table is full
    |>
    |> maybe that indicates some related problem ?

    I think you probably checked if there was something unusual with /etc/dmesg,
    if the file system was full, or if there was not enough swap space...

    There is a kernel parameter maxfiles, but you probably did not change
    that and the default should be sufficient to login with VUE.

    It comes to my mind that I observed strange failures once (and only once)
    when the date was set to a date before 01-Jan-1970. The battery of the
    RTC was gone and the date was set to some date like 1968 (?). I replaced
    the battery, set the date to the current value, rebooted and the system
    worked perfectly. I know, this should never occur. When the RTC is giving
    an invalid date, the date should be taken from the file system and set to
    the shutdown time. I do not remember if this happened with a series 300
    and hpux 9.10 or with a 715 and hpux 10.20. At that time I changed
    the batteries in all old systems (long ago)...

    Klaus Graf

  6. Re: HP-UX / VUE trouble

    Klaus Graf wrote:
    > In article , Michael Kraemer writes:
    >
    > [problems with series 400, VUE and hpux 9.10]

    [deleted]

    > |> file: table is full
    > |>
    > |> maybe that indicates some related problem ?

    [deleted]

    > I think you probably checked if there was something unusual with /etc/dmesg,
    > if the file system was full, or if there was not enough swap space...
    >
    > There is a kernel parameter maxfiles, but you probably did not change
    > that and the default should be sufficient to login with VUE.

    "file: table is full" means that the kernel parameter nfile, the
    maximum *system-wide* number of open files, is too small. maxfiles is
    the *per-process* limit. If nfile is too small, then no more files can
    be opened, so it's quite possible that that causes a VUE failure.

    [deleted]

+ Reply to Thread