suggestion for hp-unix beginner - HP UX

This is a discussion on suggestion for hp-unix beginner - HP UX ; hi all hp-unix experts, i am a AIX SA and i have worked in aix/linux environment for years. according to the new work skills requests for hp unix environment, i have to learn hp-ux. i have downloaded some hp-ux sa ...

  1. suggestion for hp-unix beginner

    hi all hp-unix experts,

    i am a AIX SA and i have worked in aix/linux environment for years.
    according to the new work skills requests for hp unix environment, i
    have to learn hp-ux.

    i have downloaded some hp-ux sa training material. but i still need to
    have a real hp-ux environment for practice. so, could you please
    recommand some entry class hardware (mini server or workstation)?

    thanks in advance,

    Frank

  2. Re: suggestion for hp-unix beginner

    rs6000er wrote:
    > hi all hp-unix experts,
    >
    > i am a AIX SA and i have worked in aix/linux environment for years.
    > according to the new work skills requests for hp unix environment, i
    > have to learn hp-ux.
    >
    > i have downloaded some hp-ux sa training material. but i still need to
    > have a real hp-ux environment for practice. so, could you please
    > recommand some entry class hardware (mini server or workstation)?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    >
    > Frank

    Frank,

    A cx00 model (x means some number) you find for a good price on eBay.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: suggestion for hp-unix beginner

    rs6000er wrote:

    > i am a AIX SA and i have worked in aix/linux environment for years.
    > according to the new work skills requests for hp unix environment, i
    > have to learn hp-ux.

    > i have downloaded some hp-ux sa training material. but i still need to
    > have a real hp-ux environment for practice. so, could you please
    > recommand some entry class hardware (mini server or workstation)?

    With which HP-UX os revs will you be working? That will put some
    boundaries on the system selection.

    There is also http://www.testdrive.hp.com/ - while I doubt you could
    have full administrator privs on one of those, it might serve as a
    starting point while you decide which HP system to buy for more
    "hands-on" stuff.

    rick jones

  4. Re: suggestion for hp-unix beginner

    * rs6000er:

    > i am a AIX SA and i have worked in aix/linux environment for years.
    > according to the new work skills requests for hp unix environment, i
    > have to learn hp-ux.
    >
    > i have downloaded some hp-ux sa training material. but i still need to
    > have a real hp-ux environment for practice. so, could you please
    > recommand some entry class hardware (mini server or workstation)?

    As Rick said it depends on what you will be working on (HP-UX version,
    servers and/or workstations, PA or IA64). For Servers (PA and IA64)
    HP-UX v2 is the current version, for PA-RISC workstations (IA64
    workstations are dead for some time now) it's 11i v1.

    My recommendation would be to get a newer C-Class workstation (c3000,
    c3600, c3650, c3700, c3750). For example c3600 are dirt cheap on ebay
    today, and they are still fast enough. They run HP-UX 11i v1 perfectly,
    and even if it's not officially supported they also run 11i v2 perfectly
    (just get a VisualizeFXe gfx card because only this card is supported in
    v2). Should do everything you need for getting started...

    Benjamin

  5. Re: suggestion for hp-unix beginner

    > As Rick said it depends on what you will be working on (HP-UX
    > version, servers and/or workstations, PA or IA64). For Servers (PA
    > and IA64) HP-UX v2 is the current version, for PA-RISC workstations
    > (IA64 workstations are dead for some time now) it's 11i v1.

    And since you are new to the club, here is a subset of the magic
    decoder ring to go from OE versions to kernel versions:

    HP-UX 11i v1 - aka 11.11
    HP-UX 11i v2 - aka 11.23

    rick jones