HP9000 K460 and remote console access (?) - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP9000 K460 and remote console access (?) - HP UX ; Hello, Firts of all, I am more familiar with RS6000 than with HP9000, so question may be trivial - on RS, in some machines, I have something called 'service processor'. Wonderful thing, I can connect null-modem cable between RS and ...

  1. HP9000 K460 and remote console access (?)

    Hello,
    Firts of all, I am more familiar with RS6000 than with HP9000,
    so question may be trivial - on RS, in some machines, I have
    something called 'service processor'. Wonderful thing, I can
    connect null-modem cable between RS and other machine (i.e.
    linux box) and using minicom power RS on, power off, see the
    same output like on console connected to RS. Usually my RS is
    down (only power plug connected to 230v), but when needed
    I can connect to the linux (always up), run minicom and start
    RS. Since few days I am also owner of HP9000, model K460 -
    does anybody know if this hardware got also something similar
    to so called 'service processor' known from RS world? In fact
    I have RS232<->Rj45 transciver, and in fact I can see 'normal'
    console output when HP is up, but this solution does not give
    me opportunity to power HP on/power it off. So once more, does
    HP9000 offers something similar to RS6000 service processor
    feature?..
    regards
    Tomasz

  2. Re: HP9000 K460 and remote console access (?)

    wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Firts of all, I am more familiar with RS6000 than with HP9000,
    > so question may be trivial - on RS, in some machines, I have
    > something called 'service processor'. Wonderful thing, I can
    > connect null-modem cable between RS and other machine (i.e.
    > linux box) and using minicom power RS on, power off, see the
    > same output like on console connected to RS. Usually my RS is
    > down (only power plug connected to 230v), but when needed
    > I can connect to the linux (always up), run minicom and start
    > RS. Since few days I am also owner of HP9000, model K460 -
    > does anybody know if this hardware got also something similar
    > to so called 'service processor' known from RS world? In fact
    > I have RS232<->Rj45 transciver, and in fact I can see 'normal'
    > console output when HP is up, but this solution does not give
    > me opportunity to power HP on/power it off. So once more, does
    > HP9000 offers something similar to RS6000 service processor
    > feature?..
    > regards
    > Tomasz

    Yes it has a similar (but not as competant) device.
    It's called the Access Port. You connect an RS-232
    terminal or terminal emulator (hyperterm, etc.) or your
    Linux system and connect.

    To activate the access port, assure the key switch on your
    K-460 is in the service (fully clockwise) position, and once
    connected, do a control-b (hold the control key down and
    type 'b' (no quotes. Now type help or he and see the commands.
    You'll find that you can't control the power but you can reset (hard
    and soft) the machine along with some other things.

    http://docs.hp.com/en/32650-90855/apa.html
    http://docs.hp.com/en/A2375-90003/A2375-90003.pdf

    If you do a search at http://docs.hp.com for 'access port'
    you'll get a lot of hits. Most docs there refer to the MPE
    operating system. Just ignore that. The hardware was
    the same as the HPUX systems which contained the
    Access Port.

    New machines have a more competant system called the
    Guardian Service Processor (GSP) and now called just
    the Management Processor (MP) with network access, power
    control and many other features.

    Good Luck,
    Mike

  3. Re: HP9000 K460 and remote console access (?)

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:26:32 +0000 (UTC),
    serwan@gdzies.tam.na.il.pw.edu.pl wrote:

    >RS. Since few days I am also owner of HP9000, model K460 -
    >does anybody know if this hardware got also something similar
    >to so called 'service processor' known from RS world? In fact
    >I have RS232<->Rj45 transciver, and in fact I can see 'normal'
    >console output when HP is up, but this solution does not give
    >me opportunity to power HP on/power it off. So once more, does
    >HP9000 offers something similar to RS6000 service processor
    >feature?..

    If the Standby/On/Service key switch is in service mode, then typing ^B
    (ctl-B) on a terminal connected to the 9-pin serial local console port
    will drop the user into control mode.

    Don't expect anything fancy in the way of commands, this is after all a
    box that HP stopped selling over 6 years ago back in the middle of 2000.

    As for turning it off, why? My K460 hasn't been turned off for over 5
    years and only gets rebooted less than once a year for the occasional
    kernel patch that requires a reboot.

  4. Re: HP9000 K460 and remote console access (?)

    Robert Klute wrote:
    > Don't expect anything fancy in the way of commands, this is after all a
    > box that HP stopped selling over 6 years ago back in the middle of 2000.

    And first started shipping (IIRC) in 1996, which means its design was
    frozen before that and was based on even earlier systems.

    rick jones