K460 and disks over 2gb - HP UX

This is a discussion on K460 and disks over 2gb - HP UX ; Hello, Got old K460, it has 4 2gd drives. I was trying to replace them with bigger, 9gb - problem is that system may not see them. I am connecting 9gb drive, scsi id is set to 6, do 'sea' ...

  1. K460 and disks over 2gb

    Hello,
    Got old K460, it has 4 2gd drives. I was trying to
    replace them with bigger, 9gb - problem is that
    system may not see them. I am connecting 9gb drive,
    scsi id is set to 6, do 'sea' and.. see only cd and
    tape drive. When there is old 2gb drive connected,
    'sea' is able to find this disk also. Does anybody
    know what may be the reason? And what should I do to
    make 8gb drives 'visible' for the system?
    regards
    Tomasz

  2. Re: K460 and disks over 2gb

    serwan@gdzies.tam.nz.il.pw.edu.pl wrote:

    > Got old K460, it has 4 2gd drives. I was trying to replace them with
    > bigger, 9gb - problem is that system may not see them. I am
    > connecting 9gb drive, scsi id is set to 6, do 'sea' and.. see only
    > cd and tape drive. When there is old 2gb drive connected, 'sea' is
    > able to find this disk also. Does anybody know what may be the
    > reason? And what should I do to make 8gb drives 'visible' for the
    > system?

    Get the right "flavor" of SCSI. The internal discs in the K Class
    were Fast-Wide _Differential_ (at the time called FWD, now I think it
    is called HVD) devices. The labeling might just say "fast-wide"
    because at the time, folks at HP thought that there wouldn't be
    anything "fast" and single-ended - give or take, based on cable length
    limits at the time) Neither SE nor LVD discs will work as internal
    mechs in a K Class. (While the CD and tape drive are "internal" they
    are actually SE SCSI (IIRC) but those are the only two internal
    SE-SCSI connections on the system - and they are a completely separate
    bus from the internal discs)

    The 3x5 HSC add-on SCSI adaptor was also FWD. To connect either SE or
    LVD (at least those which can step-down to SE) to a K Class you would
    need to get one of the old HP-PB SE-SCSI HBAs. Or find a way to put
    some of those little converter boards on the discs to make them look
    like HVD to the K Class.

    rick jones

  3. Re: K460 and disks over 2gb

    serwan@gdzies.tam.nz.il.pw.edu.pl writes:

    > Hello,
    > Got old K460, it has 4 2gd drives. I was trying to
    > replace them with bigger, 9gb - problem is that
    > system may not see them. I am connecting 9gb drive,

    May or may not. Are you speculating or knowing? We ran our K460 with over 40
    disks alltogehter: 4GB, 9GB, 18GB

    > scsi id is set to 6, do 'sea' and.. see only cd and
    > tape drive. When there is old 2gb drive connected,
    > 'sea' is able to find this disk also. Does anybody
    > know what may be the reason? And what should I do to
    > make 8gb drives 'visible' for the system?

    However, as always, you might need to install some software or firmware
    patches.

    > regards
    > Tomasz

+ Reply to Thread