having problem with installing on hp pavilion dv2037us - HP UX

This is a discussion on having problem with installing on hp pavilion dv2037us - HP UX ; hi; i've hp dv2037us entertainment notebook pc which i got 3 weeks back... it has got intel core duo , 1028mb system memory,and other... It has microsoft Windows Xp professional... i've made different partitions of a hard drive with the ...

  1. having problem with installing on hp pavilion dv2037us

    hi;

    i've hp dv2037us entertainment notebook pc which i got 3 weeks back...
    it has got intel core duo , 1028mb system memory,and other...
    It has microsoft Windows Xp professional... i've made different
    partitions of a hard drive with the help of partition magic......

    Now when i try to install Linux it shows hard disk not detected... or
    no hard drive.. the same message was shown when i tried to install
    windows Xp professional on factory given Windows Xp home edition.. so
    finally i just upgraded the windows..... but i need to install linux on
    this laptop.. how do i do that.... Is there any setting that needs to
    be done in a BIOS so installing an operating system could detect the
    harddrive....
    The system is perfectly working without any problem right now

    Please help me
    Suraj

  2. Re: having problem with installing on hp pavilion dv2037us

    surajmanandhar@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi;
    >
    > i've hp dv2037us entertainment notebook pc which i got 3 weeks back...
    > it has got intel core duo , 1028mb system memory,and other...
    > It has microsoft Windows Xp professional... i've made different
    > partitions of a hard drive with the help of partition magic......
    >

    > Now when i try to install Linux it shows hard disk not detected... or
    > no hard drive.. the same message was shown when i tried to install
    > windows Xp professional on factory given Windows Xp home edition.. so
    > finally i just upgraded the windows..... but i need to install linux on
    > this laptop.. how do i do that.... Is there any setting that needs to
    > be done in a BIOS so installing an operating system could detect the
    > harddrive....
    > The system is perfectly working without any problem right now
    >
    > Please help me
    > Suraj

    Suraj,

    Which Linux distro are you trying? May help others to find a sloution
    for you. I never tried to install Linux on a notebook.

    You might get faster answers on a newsgroup for the Linux distro.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: having problem with installing on hp pavilion dv2037us

    Since this post has nothing to do with HP-UX, I'm going to try to
    redirect the discussion over to comp.sys.hp.hardware.

    surajmanandhar@gmail.com wrote:
    > i've hp dv2037us entertainment notebook pc which i got 3 weeks
    > back... it has got intel core duo , 1028mb system memory,and
    > other... It has microsoft Windows Xp professional... i've made
    > different partitions of a hard drive with the help of partition
    > magic......

    > Now when i try to install Linux it shows hard disk not
    > detected... or no hard drive.. the same message was shown when i
    > tried to install windows Xp professional on factory given Windows Xp
    > home edition.. so finally i just upgraded the windows..... but i
    > need to install linux on this laptop.. how do i do that.... Is there
    > any setting that needs to be done in a BIOS so installing an
    > operating system could detect the harddrive.... The system is
    > perfectly working without any problem right now

    I'm not in the "PC" side of the house so I may have some details
    wrong... and I've no idea if what you are trying to do is "supported"
    or not.

    What sort of disc controller resides in the system? It sounds like
    the controller in there doesn't have a driver in the install disc(s)
    for the Linux distro you are using. You probably need to find the
    driver "out there" somewhere (perhaps even on www.hp.com somewhere)
    and get that added so the install can continue. Ditto for the XP home
    edtion.

    When the OS that does run was installed at the factory, something akin
    to that was probably done.

    rick jones