Problem with autochanger and fbackup not changing tapes - HP UX

This is a discussion on Problem with autochanger and fbackup not changing tapes - HP UX ; Hi, I have a HP server running 11.00 and a HP SureStore Tape Autochanger. When using fbackup with it, it will not switch tapes when full. Is there any HP command, like mt offl that will make it unload the ...

  1. Problem with autochanger and fbackup not changing tapes

    Hi,

    I have a HP server running 11.00 and a HP SureStore Tape Autochanger.
    When using fbackup with it, it will not switch tapes when full. Is
    there any HP command, like mt offl that will make it unload the current
    tape, and then have the autochanger seek another tape to use for the
    remainder of a backup, ot for the next backup? I can manually change
    the tape for the next backup, or use other software to change the tape,
    but fbackup (and even questioning mt) does not seem to automatically
    chane the tape. The autoload should be configured correctly for use
    with fbackup, as the other solution for bacjups did not have a problem
    with changing to an empty tape.

    Also, does stm verify on tape actually erase a tape, or does it just do
    a volume check?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Problem with autochanger and fbackup not changing tapes

    James wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a HP server running 11.00 and a HP SureStore Tape Autochanger.
    > When using fbackup with it, it will not switch tapes when full. Is
    > there any HP command, like mt offl that will make it unload the current
    > tape, and then have the autochanger seek another tape to use for the
    > remainder of a backup, ot for the next backup? I can manually change
    > the tape for the next backup, or use other software to change the tape,
    > but fbackup (and even questioning mt) does not seem to automatically
    > chane the tape. The autoload should be configured correctly for use
    > with fbackup, as the other solution for bacjups did not have a problem
    > with changing to an empty tape.
    >
    > Also, does stm verify on tape actually erase a tape, or does it just do
    > a volume check?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Guy, here's a blurb from the HP-UX man page for fbackup:

    Using 36-track tapes will probably result in the highest
    performance,
    but require user intervention for changing tapes. Both DLT and
    DDS
    autochangers and libraries can provide unattended backups. A
    magneto-optical autochanger can also provide an unattended backup
    for
    a large system and long life media, however the media cost is
    high.
    Lower cost and good performance can be achieved with a single DLT
    tape
    drive, but multi-volume backups must be attended.

    In one example, fbackup can't handle changing tapes and in another it
    can. I have to say I've never used fbackup with an autochanger. Is
    your library a DLT, DDS, or magneto-optical?

    The command to manually move tapes, etc., in your changer is called
    "mc".

    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

+ Reply to Thread