Open Source CDE petition. - HP UX

This is a discussion on Open Source CDE petition. - HP UX ; Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming Open Source? If so consider signing the petition on this site, which I'll send on to The Open Group. http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html With additional background information here. http://www.marutan.net/cde/ If you've any questions feel ...

  1. Open Source CDE petition.

    Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming
    Open Source?

    If so consider signing the petition on this site,
    which I'll send on to The Open Group.

    http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html

    With additional background information here.

    http://www.marutan.net/cde/

    If you've any questions feel free to ask
    or email me for more information.

    Peter Howkins

  2. Re: Open Source CDE petition.

    * Peter Howkins:

    > Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming
    > Open Source?

    Honestly, no. Of course CDE was the standard desktop of commercial
    UNIXes during the 90th but even at that time it was slow and (compared
    to other desktops) limited and unflexible. The traditional UNIX desktop
    is dead, with desktop apps going to either Windows or Linux, both which
    have much better desktops than CDE.

    So I really see no reason why anyone would want to use CDE any more...

    Benjamin

  3. Re: Open Source CDE petition.

    ยท Benjamin Gawert :

    > * Peter Howkins:
    >
    >> Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming
    >> Open Source?

    > Honestly, no. Of course CDE was the standard desktop of commercial
    > UNIXes during the 90th but even at that time it was slow and (compared
    > to other desktops) limited and unflexible. The traditional UNIX desktop
    > is dead, with desktop apps going to either Windows or Linux, both which
    > have much better desktops than CDE.
    >
    > So I really see no reason why anyone would want to use CDE any more...

    Yep. And if you have a look at Solaris, you'll find that Gnome (a
    "Linux desktop", so to say) is standard now. If I'd sign a petition,
    then it were one which would "make" KDE or Gnome the standard desktop
    on HP-UX as well.

    Anyway, what advantage does CDE provide over Gnome or KDE?

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    ****ing weak, dude!

  4. Re: Open Source CDE petition.

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    >> * Peter Howkins:
    >> [...] but even at that time it was slow [...]

    > Yep. And if you have a look at Solaris, you'll find that Gnome (a
    > "Linux desktop", so to say) is standard now. If I'd sign a petition,
    > then it were one which would "make" KDE or Gnome the standard desktop
    > on HP-UX as well.
    >
    > Anyway, what advantage does CDE provide over Gnome or KDE?

    The only reason that Gnome or KDE are not as slow as CDE, is that the
    underlying hardware is faster.

    I wouldn't want to run Gnome or KDE on my HP9000/400d. Or my VAXstation
    3100m38. Or build it (actually i'm running HP-VUE on it, the predecessor
    to CDE)

    --
    Alex.

  5. Re: Open Source CDE petition.

    * Alexander Skwar:

    > Yep. And if you have a look at Solaris, you'll find that Gnome (a
    > "Linux desktop", so to say) is standard now.

    Right. Sun did a very nice job with their GNOME-based Java Desktop...

    > If I'd sign a petition,
    > then it were one which would "make" KDE or Gnome the standard desktop
    > on HP-UX as well.

    Well, porting a current ready2install KDE to HP-UX is one of the main
    tasks of the vintagefreeware project . However,
    this project is brand new and still needs some help...

    > Anyway, what advantage does CDE provide over Gnome or KDE?

    In the old days CDE was the standard desktop of almost all commercial
    UNIXes except SGI IRIX (which with SGIs IndigoMagic desktop had a far
    superior desktop than CDE). But while the world around made steps
    forward the development of CDE was somewhat stagnating which was clear
    because most UNIX workstations have been used to maybe one or two
    certain tasks (i.e. CAD), so the average user didn't do much with the
    desktop itself. Compared with even old KDE or GNOME versions (or any
    other desktop system) it lacks a lot in terms of functionality and
    ergonomy, it's simply a relict of the old days...

    Benjamin

  6. Re: Open Source CDE petition.

    * Alex van Denzel:

    > The only reason that Gnome or KDE are not as slow as CDE, is that the
    > underlying hardware is faster.

    You obviously never tried CDE on Solaris on a fast x86 machine. CDE is
    slow, even on modern hardware. The interesting thing is that CDE on a
    fast machine is almost exactly as slow like it is on a much slower system...

    > I wouldn't want to run Gnome or KDE on my HP9000/400d.

    You don't want to run CDE on that dinosaur, either...

    > Or my VAXstation
    > 3100m38. Or build it (actually i'm running HP-VUE on it, the predecessor
    > to CDE)

    HP VUE is only one of the predecessors of CDE, unlike CDE VUE is HP
    specific. Other UNIX vendors also had their own desktops...

    Benjamin

  7. Re: Open Source CDE petition.

    On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 08:34:19 +0200
    Alexander Skwar wrote:

    > Anyway, what advantage does CDE provide over Gnome or KDE?

    It dates from the early 1990ies, so it's less resource-hungry than
    Gnome/KDE. Most of the speed difference actually comes from the lack of
    anti-aliasing, something I at least wouldn't want to give up because it
    makes larger LCD displays far more readable (IMHO, obviously - I know a
    couple of people who insist on seeing each pixel).

    I used to run Sun's Gnome 2.00 for a while on an Ultra 60, and it was
    to all intents and purposes as fast as CDE.

    The real disadvantage of CDE is that the underlying GUI library is
    Motif, and none of the more modern desktop applications support Motif
    (it's either Qt or gtk+), so you'll have to install bits and pieces of
    KDE and Gnome anyway.

    If you like the CDE look, I suggest looking into Olivier Fourdan's
    Xfce, which basically is what CDE should have been.

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --

  8. Re: Open Source CDE petition.

    Too late.

    "Peter Howkins" wrote in message news:1159818568.106224.18040@m7g2000cwm.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming
    > Open Source?
    >
    > If so consider signing the petition on this site,
    > which I'll send on to The Open Group.
    >
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html
    >
    > With additional background information here.
    >
    > http://www.marutan.net/cde/
    >
    > If you've any questions feel free to ask
    > or email me for more information.
    >
    > Peter Howkins

+ Reply to Thread