HP-UX 11i unsatisfied symbols for libtar - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX 11i unsatisfied symbols for libtar - HP UX ; All, I'm trying to get an executable compiled up on an 11i machine. It has a few different archive library dependencies as well as shared library dependencies. The main problem is that there is one particular library (libtar) that the ...

  1. HP-UX 11i unsatisfied symbols for libtar

    All,
    I'm trying to get an executable compiled up on an 11i machine. It
    has a few different archive library dependencies as well as shared
    library dependencies. The main problem is that there is one particular
    library (libtar) that the linker is not properly resolving symbols for.
    No matter where I put the libtar.a line in the compile line I get an
    "Unsatisfied Symbols" error from the linker. I have tried several
    different versions of this archive, one delivered as a binary depot and
    others that I have compiled myself. No matter how I cut it, the linker
    won't resolved the symbols. My compile line is:

    /usr/local/bin/g++ -Wall -O2 -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/libtar/include
    -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib anyoption/anyoption.cpp md5/md5.cpp
    inifile/inifile.cpp nfs-less.cpp /usr/local/lib/libcurl.a
    /usr/local/lib/libssl.a /usr/local/lib/libidn.a
    /usr/local/lib/libiconv.a /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a
    /usr/local/lib/libz.a /var/sw/libtar-1.2.11/lib/libtar.a
    /usr/lib/libnsl.a -v -o nfs-less

    After which, when executed, I receive the following output (with linker
    line):

    /usr/local/libexec/gcc/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11/4.1.1/collect2
    -L/lib/pa1.1 -L/usr/lib/pa1.1 -z -u main -u __gcc_plt_call -o isodx
    /usr/ccs/lib/crt0.o /lib/unix98.o -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib
    -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11/4.1.1 -L/usr/ccs/lib
    -L/usr/local/lib /var/tmp//cc06IoOa.o /var/tmp//ccJOQPXa.o
    /var/tmp//ccDkREga.o /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o /usr/local/lib/libcurl.a
    /usr/local/lib/libssl.a /usr/local/lib/libidn.a
    /usr/local/lib/libiconv.a /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a
    /usr/local/lib/libz.a /var/sw/libtar-1.2.11/lib/libtar.a
    /usr/lib/libnsl.a -lstdc++ -lm -lgcc -lc -lgcc
    /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    tar_close(TAR*) (first referenced in /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o) (code)
    tar_extract_all(TAR*, char*)(first referenced in
    /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o) (code)
    tar_append_tree(TAR*, char*, char*)(first referenced in
    /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o) (code)
    tar_open(TAR**, char*, tartype_t*, int, int, int)(first referenced
    in /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o) (code)
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    As you might have guessed the tar_close, tar_open, etc are exported in
    the libtar.a archive.
    objdump -t /var/sw/libtar-1.2.11/lib/libtar.a:
    00000000 l $CODE$ $CODE$
    00000000 F *UND* tar_dev_free
    00000000 F *UND* dev_hash
    00000000 g F $CODE$ tar_open
    00000000 g F $CODE$ tar_fd
    00000000 F *UND* close
    00000000 F *UND* write

    You can see almost the exact same output for each of the "unsatisfied"
    symbols as you see above.

    If anybody can give me any insight into how I might make the linker see
    these symbols, I would be greatly appreciative.

  2. Re: HP-UX 11i unsatisfied symbols for libtar

    "zhendershot@gmail.com" writes:

    > /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    > tar_close(TAR*) (first referenced in /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o) (code)

    Please learn to cross-post instead of multi-posting, and look
    for an answer in gnu.g++.help.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: HP-UX 11i unsatisfied symbols for libtar

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > "zhendershot@gmail.com" writes:
    >> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    >> tar_close(TAR*) (first referenced in /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o) (code)

    > Please learn to cross-post instead of multi-posting, and look
    > for an answer in gnu.g++.help.

    And just in case you aren't familiar with those terms, this bit of old
    boilerplate might be of help:

    One can specify more than one newsgroup in the Newsgroups: line. The
    format would look like this:

    Newsgroups: group1,group2,group3

    with no spaces in the grouplist. This has several advantages (so long
    as it is not abused by posting messages to inappropriate groups). Only
    one copy of your message must traverse the Internet, saving network
    bandwidth; only one copy of your message must be stored on each news
    server on the Internet, saving many MB of space world-wide; you only
    have to enter the news posting once, saving you time; people only have
    to read/skip your post once, saving them time; all responses in any
    group can be seen in all groups, keeping everyone up to date with the
    conversation.

    Also, you can add a Followup-to: header line which will direct all the
    follow-ups to a particular group, making it easier for you to look for

    I hope you find this helpful. If you do, please pass it along to your
    peers as you see them needing the same advice.

    sincerely,

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  4. Re: HP-UX 11i unsatisfied symbols for libtar

    Paul,
    I do apologize for multi-posting, it was a lack of foresight on my
    behalf. I realized after I initially posted that there was a more
    appropriate place for my question. Thanks for setting me straight. Have
    a great day.

    Zach Hendershot

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > "zhendershot@gmail.com" writes:
    >
    > > /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    > > tar_close(TAR*) (first referenced in /var/tmp//ccHgOOyd.o) (code)

    > Please learn to cross-post instead of multi-posting, and look
    > for an answer in gnu.g++.help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread