VxVM for LVM users? - HP UX

This is a discussion on VxVM for LVM users? - HP UX ; Hi, I'm investigating migrating some HP-UX systems from LVM to VxVM, and was wondering if anyone has any VxVM "cookbook" (like is available for LVM) or howto, espcially if it is targeted at LVM-experienced users? In particular, I am interested ...

  1. VxVM for LVM users?

    Hi,

    I'm investigating migrating some HP-UX systems from LVM to VxVM, and was
    wondering if anyone has any VxVM "cookbook" (like is available for LVM) or
    howto, espcially if it is targeted at LVM-experienced users? In particular, I
    am interested in command line usage, as opposed to the GUI.

    Any help is appreciated,

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  2. Re: VxVM for LVM users?

    Hi kevin

    it depends on your os version. I've done this in hpux 11i last year.
    Its previously in LVM with vg00 containing the OS.

    To do this, just run the following command to migrate the vg00 disk to
    new disk with vxvm control.

    Here's a few snapshot that i still save during the migration.

    #/etc/vx/bin/vxcp_lvmroot -v -p c2t12d0 c2t13d0
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:32: Gathering information on LVM root volume group vg00
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:32: Checking specified disk(s) for usability
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:32: Starting up VxVM
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:34: Preparing disk c2t13d0 as a VxVM root disk
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:35: Adding disk c2t13d0 to rootdg as DM rootdisk01
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:36: Preparing disk c2t12d0 as a VxVM disk
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:37: Adding disk c2t12d0 to rootdg as DM rootaux01
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:37: Copying /dev/vg00/lvol1 (hfs) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/standvol
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:38: Cloning /dev/vg00/lvol2 (swap) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/swapvol
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:38: Copying /dev/vg00/lvol3 (vxfs) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/rootvol
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:40: Copying /dev/vg00/lvol4 (vxfs) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/tmpvol
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:40: Copying /dev/vg00/lvol5 (vxfs) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/homevol
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:40: Copying /dev/vg00/lvol6 (vxfs) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/optvol
    vxcp_lvmroot 10:53: Copying /dev/vg00/lvol7 (vxfs) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/usrvol
    vxcp_lvmroot 11:23: Copying /dev/vg00/lvol8 (vxfs) to
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/varvol
    vxcp_lvmroot 11:29: Setting up disk c2t13d0 as a boot disk
    vxcp_lvmroot 11:30: Installing fstab and fixing dev nodes on new root
    FS
    vxcp_lvmroot 11:30: Installing bootconf & rootconf files in new stand
    FS
    vxcp_lvmroot 11:30: Disk c2t13d0 is now a VxVM rootable boot disk

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm investigating migrating some HP-UX systems from LVM to VxVM, and was
    > wondering if anyone has any VxVM "cookbook" (like is available for LVM) or
    > howto, espcially if it is targeted at LVM-experienced users? In particular, I
    > am interested in command line usage, as opposed to the GUI.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated,
    >
    > Kevin
    >

    > --
    > Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    > Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    > http://www.unix-guy.com

  3. Re: VxVM for LVM users?

    In article <1159929977.834254.165500@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>, mrkhairy@yahoo.com wrote:

    [relocated top posting]

    > Kevin Collins wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm investigating migrating some HP-UX systems from LVM to VxVM, and was
    >> wondering if anyone has any VxVM "cookbook" (like is available for LVM) or
    >> howto, espcially if it is targeted at LVM-experienced users? In particular, I
    >> am interested in command line usage, as opposed to the GUI.
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated,
    >>
    >> Kevin
    >>

    >> --
    >> Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    >> Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    >> http://www.unix-guy.com

    > Hi kevin
    >
    > it depends on your os version. I've done this in hpux 11i last year.
    > Its previously in LVM with vg00 containing the OS.
    >
    > To do this, just run the following command to migrate the vg00 disk to
    > new disk with vxvm control.
    >
    > Here's a few snapshot that i still save during the migration.

    [snip]

    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not really looking for how to migrate. I am
    looking for a comparison on using the 2 tools (LVM vs VxVM) for managing your
    disks. I work in a large, highly automated shop and we ned to understand how
    VxVM works and key differentiating factors, so that we can use it on a regular
    basis.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

  4. Re: VxVM for LVM users?

    In article , Kevin Collins wrote:
    > In article <1159929977.834254.165500@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>, mrkhairy@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > [relocated top posting]
    >
    >> Kevin Collins wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm investigating migrating some HP-UX systems from LVM to VxVM, and was
    >>> wondering if anyone has any VxVM "cookbook" (like is available for LVM) or
    >>> howto, espcially if it is targeted at LVM-experienced users? In particular, I
    >>> am interested in command line usage, as opposed to the GUI.
    >>>
    >>> Any help is appreciated,
    >>>
    >>> Kevin
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    >>> Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    >>> http://www.unix-guy.com

    >> Hi kevin
    >>
    >> it depends on your os version. I've done this in hpux 11i last year.
    >> Its previously in LVM with vg00 containing the OS.
    >>
    >> To do this, just run the following command to migrate the vg00 disk to
    >> new disk with vxvm control.
    >>
    >> Here's a few snapshot that i still save during the migration.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, but I'm not really looking for how to migrate. I am
    > looking for a comparison on using the 2 tools (LVM vs VxVM) for managing your
    > disks. I work in a large, highly automated shop and we ned to understand how
    > VxVM works and key differentiating factors, so that we can use it on a regular
    > basis.

    For anyone else who might be interested, a search for "vxvm" on docs.hp.com
    turned up some useful information, including this:

    VxVM and LVM.Conceptual Comparison
    http://docs.hp.com/en/5187-1372/ch01s02.html

    This covers a lot of what I was looking for...

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

+ Reply to Thread