How to fix "invalid super-block" on HP-UX 11.00? - HP UX

This is a discussion on How to fix "invalid super-block" on HP-UX 11.00? - HP UX ; hi, I checked one of our HP-UX server and found one of them has following problem: [root@rddb#/]fsck /dev/vg00/lvoradata invalid super-block vxfs fsck: cannot initialize aggregate file system check failure, aborting ... [root@rddb#/]dd if=/dev/vg00/lvoradata bs=64k of=/dev/null 8000+0 in 8000+0 out [root@rddb#/]fsck ...

  1. How to fix "invalid super-block" on HP-UX 11.00?

    hi,

    I checked one of our HP-UX server and found one of them has following
    problem:

    [root@rddb#/]fsck /dev/vg00/lvoradata

    invalid super-block
    vxfs fsck: cannot initialize aggregate
    file system check failure, aborting ...

    [root@rddb#/]dd if=/dev/vg00/lvoradata bs=64k of=/dev/null
    8000+0 in
    8000+0 out

    [root@rddb#/]fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/vg00/lvoradata
    invalid super-block
    search for auxiliary super-block? (ynq)y
    alternate super-block not found
    vxfs fsck: cannot initialize aggregate
    file system check failure, aborting ...

    [root@rddb#/]

    how can I fix this problem ?

    thanks in advance .

    Joe

  2. Re: How to fix "invalid super-block" on HP-UX 11.00?

    jshen.cad@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi,
    >

    > I checked one of our HP-UX server and found one of them has following
    > problem:
    >
    > [root@rddb#/]fsck /dev/vg00/lvoradata
    >
    > invalid super-block
    > vxfs fsck: cannot initialize aggregate
    > file system check failure, aborting ...
    >
    > [root@rddb#/]dd if=/dev/vg00/lvoradata bs=64k of=/dev/null
    > 8000+0 in
    > 8000+0 out
    >
    > [root@rddb#/]fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/vg00/lvoradata
    > invalid super-block
    > search for auxiliary super-block? (ynq)y
    > alternate super-block not found
    > vxfs fsck: cannot initialize aggregate
    > file system check failure, aborting ...
    >
    > [root@rddb#/]
    >

    > how can I fix this problem ?
    >
    > thanks in advance .
    >
    > Joe

    Joe:

    Is there any chance that this filesystem was created as an HFS file
    system? This is a documented issue at HP's ITRC site where there are
    multiple scenarios that can make it happen. Basically, they all equate
    to running fsck with an invalid option, normally trying to use a VxFS
    option on a HFS file system.

    However, one other case (also on the ITRC) where it could happen is if
    you've got volumes on an external array that you import to another
    system and you have mismatched versions of JFS. For example, if you're
    using JFS 3.3 and you import version 4.0 layouts.

    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

+ Reply to Thread