HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers - HP UX ; I am resurrecting an old HP64000 (non-HPUX) embedded application for modification. I need to be able to transfer files from the HP64000 across the HPIB to the HP9000 series 340. In the past I have been able to do this ...

  1. HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    I am resurrecting an old HP64000 (non-HPUX) embedded application for
    modification. I need to be able to transfer files from the HP64000
    across the HPIB to the HP9000 series 340.

    In the past I have been able to do this by connecting an HPIB cable
    between the HP64000 and the HP 9000 (specifically the HP 98624A HPIB
    card in the HP 9000) and issuing the "transfer -rsfxa" HP64000filename
    HP9000filename command. I am now getting a warning message after about
    30 seconds that limits have been exceeded. I have checked the switch
    settings within the HP64000 I/O card and the HP64000 I/O bus cable. I
    have also run the I/O performance verification tests on the HP64000 to
    confirm HP64000 I/O subsystem operation.

    On the HP 9000 side, I see that the HPIB card is recognized by the
    system on bootup. It has the expected select code.

    When the command is issued, there is a line of text that gets displayed
    on the HP9000 that announces that the transfer is being attempted. The
    the warning messages appears 20-30 seconds later.

    I am at a lost as to what else I need to do. I would appreciate
    hearing from anyone with any ideas. I have only a short time left to
    get this to work or the whole project will be cancelled.

  2. Re: HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    In article <1158178287.579846.17290@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, "dukedombro" writes:

    |> On the HP 9000 side, I see that the HPIB card is recognized by the
    |> system on bootup. It has the expected select code.
    |>
    |> When the command is issued, there is a line of text that gets displayed
    |> on the HP9000 that announces that the transfer is being attempted. The
    |> the warning messages appears 20-30 seconds later.

    This indicates that the connection works. Is your filesystem full ?
    At the time the HP9000/340 was current, disks were really small.
    Even a few core files could fill up the filesystem. Type bdf on
    the HP9000/340 to see if there is enough space on the filesystem.

    As root you may type /etc/dmesg to see if something unusual has happened
    since system boot.

    Klaus Graf

  3. Re: HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    Thanks Klaus,
    The file system has plenty of room.

    Regards,
    Jim

    Klaus Graf wrote:
    > In article <1158178287.579846.17290@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, "dukedombro" writes:
    >

    > |> On the HP 9000 side, I see that the HPIB card is recognized by the
    > |> system on bootup. It has the expected select code.
    > |>
    > |> When the command is issued, there is a line of text that gets displayed
    > |> on the HP9000 that announces that the transfer is being attempted. The
    > |> the warning messages appears 20-30 seconds later.
    >
    > This indicates that the connection works. Is your filesystem full ?
    > At the time the HP9000/340 was current, disks were really small.
    > Even a few core files could fill up the filesystem. Type bdf on
    > the HP9000/340 to see if there is enough space on the filesystem.
    >
    > As root you may type /etc/dmesg to see if something unusual has happened
    > since system boot.
    >
    > Klaus Graf

  4. Re: HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    Klaus -
    Additional information: The file I am attempting to transfer occupies
    only 0.06% of a 20 M-Byte disk that has approx. 35% free.
    The HP9000 system has at least 34 M-Byte available. Space should not
    be a problem.

    Regards,
    Jim

    Klaus Graf wrote:
    > In article <1158178287.579846.17290@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, "dukedombro" writes:
    >

    > |> On the HP 9000 side, I see that the HPIB card is recognized by the
    > |> system on bootup. It has the expected select code.
    > |>
    > |> When the command is issued, there is a line of text that gets displayed
    > |> on the HP9000 that announces that the transfer is being attempted. The
    > |> the warning messages appears 20-30 seconds later.
    >
    > This indicates that the connection works. Is your filesystem full ?
    > At the time the HP9000/340 was current, disks were really small.
    > Even a few core files could fill up the filesystem. Type bdf on
    > the HP9000/340 to see if there is enough space on the filesystem.
    >
    > As root you may type /etc/dmesg to see if something unusual has happened
    > since system boot.
    >
    > Klaus Graf

  5. Re: HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    In article <1158242909.966698.155960@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, "dukedombro" writes:
    |> Klaus -
    |> Additional information: The file I am attempting to transfer occupies
    |> only 0.06% of a 20 M-Byte disk that has approx. 35% free.
    |> The HP9000 system has at least 34 M-Byte available. Space should not
    |> be a problem.

    Jim,

    what is the "limit" which is exceeded? Is this a time limit?

    If it is a time limit, what are the permissions of the devicefile
    for the 98624A interface? Did you try the transfer as root?

    On HPIB-systems only one of the interfaces on the bus should be
    configured as controller. Possibly one of the interfaces needs to
    be configured as non-controller. The bus addresses should be
    different as well.

    The 98624A interface was usually shipped with bus address 21 and
    system controller enabled. I don't know the default settings of
    the HP64000. There may be a step required before initiating the
    transfer to modify these settings. I think you do not need to change
    the settings of the switches on the 98624A interface, since
    probably nobody has changed it and it can be done by software.
    What is the bus address of the HPIB interface of then HP64000?
    I remember some HP instruments which were able to communicate with
    a controller in address range 0 to 30 and switched to a
    "dump data mode" when set to address 31. (This was intended for
    communication with non-controller devices such as printers or plotters
    in talk-only mode. We had to reset these address to some value < 31
    when somebody had just a plotter connected.)

    I have seen IEEE488 transfers work with misconfigured interfaces,
    but this was unreliable and it was dependant of the sequence
    of transfer initiation.

    Since 1981 (the release time of the 98624A interface) I have seen a few
    defective interfaces. The defects were not detected by selftests, just
    the communication failed. Most of 98624 interfaces never failed, so I think
    this is not a hardware issue. Are you able to connect to other instruments
    with this interface? Are there any other instruments on the bus?

    Regards,

    Klaus.

  6. Re: HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    Klaus,
    Message states "WARNING: Retry limit exceeded"

    The system administrator and I will try the transfer with root
    permissions in the morning.
    I tried issuing the transfer command from the HP9000 without the HPIB
    connected to the HP64000 and got the same response as if the HPIB was
    connected. Specifically a upload command message was displayed on the
    HP9000 terminal and was replaced 20-30 seconds later by the "WARNING:
    Retry limit exceeded" mesage.

    The HPIB controller on the HP98624A card in the HP9000 is defined as
    not system controller, thus letting the HP64000 control the data
    transfer.

    The following list will give you a better idea of what's in our HP9000.
    Select Code 7 Internal HPIB
    Select Code 8 HP98624A (HPIB connection to HP64000)
    Select Code 9 HP98644 (RS-232C)
    Select Code 12 HP98622 (GPIO)
    Select Code 14 HP98625B (Hi Speed HPIB)
    Select Code 21 HP98643 (LAN)

    I have two HP98624A interface cards and both react the same, reducing
    the likelihood of a hardware problem with this board.
    No other devices are connected to the HP9000 except the single HP64000
    thru the 98624A card.
    The LAN interface is used to connect the diskless HP9000/340 to the
    disk located in another part of the building.

    Regards,
    Jim

    Klaus Graf wrote:
    > In article <1158242909.966698.155960@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, "dukedombro" writes:
    > |> Klaus -
    > |> Additional information: The file I am attempting to transfer occupies
    > |> only 0.06% of a 20 M-Byte disk that has approx. 35% free.
    > |> The HP9000 system has at least 34 M-Byte available. Space should not
    > |> be a problem.
    >
    > Jim,
    >
    > what is the "limit" which is exceeded? Is this a time limit?
    >
    > If it is a time limit, what are the permissions of the devicefile
    > for the 98624A interface? Did you try the transfer as root?
    >
    > On HPIB-systems only one of the interfaces on the bus should be
    > configured as controller. Possibly one of the interfaces needs to
    > be configured as non-controller. The bus addresses should be
    > different as well.
    >
    > The 98624A interface was usually shipped with bus address 21 and
    > system controller enabled. I don't know the default settings of
    > the HP64000. There may be a step required before initiating the
    > transfer to modify these settings. I think you do not need to change
    > the settings of the switches on the 98624A interface, since
    > probably nobody has changed it and it can be done by software.
    > What is the bus address of the HPIB interface of then HP64000?
    > I remember some HP instruments which were able to communicate with
    > a controller in address range 0 to 30 and switched to a
    > "dump data mode" when set to address 31. (This was intended for
    > communication with non-controller devices such as printers or plotters
    > in talk-only mode. We had to reset these address to some value < 31
    > when somebody had just a plotter connected.)
    >
    > I have seen IEEE488 transfers work with misconfigured interfaces,
    > but this was unreliable and it was dependant of the sequence
    > of transfer initiation.
    >
    > Since 1981 (the release time of the 98624A interface) I have seen a few
    > defective interfaces. The defects were not detected by selftests, just
    > the communication failed. Most of 98624 interfaces never failed, so I think
    > this is not a hardware issue. Are you able to connect to other instruments
    > with this interface? Are there any other instruments on the bus?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Klaus.

  7. Re: HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    dukedombro wrote:
    > Klaus,
    > Message states "WARNING: Retry limit exceeded"
    >
    > The system administrator and I will try the transfer with root
    > permissions in the morning.
    > I tried issuing the transfer command from the HP9000 without the HPIB
    > connected to the HP64000 and got the same response as if the HPIB was
    > connected. Specifically a upload command message was displayed on the
    > HP9000 terminal and was replaced 20-30 seconds later by the "WARNING:
    > Retry limit exceeded" mesage.
    >
    > The HPIB controller on the HP98624A card in the HP9000 is defined as
    > not system controller, thus letting the HP64000 control the data
    > transfer.

    Since the transfer command is being executed on the 9000, I would think
    that its interface would need to be system controller to let it initiate
    the transfer, and the 64000 would need to be set to non-controller.

    -Dave

    > The following list will give you a better idea of what's in our HP9000.
    > Select Code 7 Internal HPIB
    > Select Code 8 HP98624A (HPIB connection to HP64000)
    > Select Code 9 HP98644 (RS-232C)
    > Select Code 12 HP98622 (GPIO)
    > Select Code 14 HP98625B (Hi Speed HPIB)
    > Select Code 21 HP98643 (LAN)
    >
    > I have two HP98624A interface cards and both react the same, reducing
    > the likelihood of a hardware problem with this board.
    > No other devices are connected to the HP9000 except the single HP64000
    > thru the 98624A card.
    > The LAN interface is used to connect the diskless HP9000/340 to the
    > disk located in another part of the building.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jim
    >

    > Klaus Graf wrote:
    >>
    >> Jim,
    >>
    >> what is the "limit" which is exceeded? Is this a time limit?
    >>
    >> If it is a time limit, what are the permissions of the devicefile
    >> for the 98624A interface? Did you try the transfer as root?
    >>
    >> On HPIB-systems only one of the interfaces on the bus should be
    >> configured as controller. Possibly one of the interfaces needs to
    >> be configured as non-controller. The bus addresses should be
    >> different as well.
    >>
    >> The 98624A interface was usually shipped with bus address 21 and
    >> system controller enabled. I don't know the default settings of
    >> the HP64000. There may be a step required before initiating the
    >> transfer to modify these settings. I think you do not need to change
    >> the settings of the switches on the 98624A interface, since
    >> probably nobody has changed it and it can be done by software.
    >> What is the bus address of the HPIB interface of then HP64000?
    >> I remember some HP instruments which were able to communicate with
    >> a controller in address range 0 to 30 and switched to a
    >> "dump data mode" when set to address 31. (This was intended for
    >> communication with non-controller devices such as printers or plotters
    >> in talk-only mode. We had to reset these address to some value < 31
    >> when somebody had just a plotter connected.)
    >>
    >> I have seen IEEE488 transfers work with misconfigured interfaces,
    >> but this was unreliable and it was dependant of the sequence
    >> of transfer initiation.
    >>
    >> Since 1981 (the release time of the 98624A interface) I have seen a few
    >> defective interfaces. The defects were not detected by selftests, just
    >> the communication failed. Most of 98624 interfaces never failed, so I think
    >> this is not a hardware issue. Are you able to connect to other instruments
    >> with this interface? Are there any other instruments on the bus?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Klaus.

  8. Re: HP 9000 Series 340 file transfers

    Klaus, Dave & Andrew -

    The situation with the HP9000 to HP64000 has been resolved. Two
    factors contributed to the lack of communications. First, the
    HP64000's HPIB address had to be changed such that it did not conflict
    with the HPIB address of the HP98624A card on the HP9000.
    Second, the cable length was too long (4 meters). Since both systems
    are pretty old now, noise becomes more of an issue. Correcting the
    HPIB address and shortening the cable (2 meters) corrected the problem.
    Instrumental in debugging this problem was the use of the csib
    command. The csib command has an option for reporting levels (default
    is 0). By incrementing the reporting level, we could see that the
    HP9000 was attempting to connect with the HP64000 but the HP64000 was
    not responding. We could also see when noise was getting in the way
    after partial communications was established.

    THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!!
    Jim

    P.S. Dave - I believe in the HP98624A installation manual, it is stated
    that the HP98624A must not be the system controller for communications
    across the HPIB. I know I read it in one of the manuals, I think it
    was the manual I cited.

+ Reply to Thread